SaltCritters.com

Collecting animals for your tank - California Law

C-Rad

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh wow... anger management classes? I wonder if they have a gift card at Vons for that.

Sorry, the something that really gets to me is people endorsing poaching in my back yard. This is actually a lot deeper of an issue for me since environmentalists are using examples just like these to push an agenda banning fishing in most of Socal. Thanks to their bribes and fake science, as of now most of la jolla, 99% of laguna, most of malibu and all of southern pv will be banned for fishing in 2011 under the guise of the MLPA process which was originally intended to be applied for pollution concerns, but was hijacked to ban fishing. Anyone that wanted to take their kids fishing or walking in tidepools in those places can thank threads like these, I know it sounds like a bad movie or conspiracy theory but unfortunately it's not.

A lot of divers and fishermen worked for over a year non-stop to try and minimize the closures, I missed enough work to almost get me fired here, and the worst things that we were up against were the threads like this one, mostly posted by good but misguided people, that the enviros combed the internet for to show that the ocean needs to be protected from us awful humans by banning any consumptive activity from it. If you really wanna see the a-bomb go off you should post this thread on the socal forums of rc. I think that one guy who paved the way for us worked on this so much that he lost his job is over there, and also the president of the company that imports cyclopeeze is over there, we all went to so many city council and government meetings that dragged past midnight that I lost count. And about 90% of their huge closures passed, thanks to threads like these. If you really, really want to see an a-bomb you should post this on spearboard.com or bloodydecks.com, plus there's a few DFG wardens and higher-ups on those sites that can give very clear answers :)

Here's my uncle's response:

You can pick up the crabs but there is a bag limit of 35. Make sure you are not in an ecological reserve, fines are big there! Also, if you are planning on putting these in a saltwater tank, the crabs will not live long. Hope this helps.

Not much help uncle Gary! I asked him if he has any resources that specifies reserves. Of the maps C-Rad posted, I don't see Redondo Beach marked off.

im all for conserving the natural resources. re populate depleted resources.

It's scientifically proven that California has the second best managed fishery in the world after New Zealand so it's conserving its natural resources wonderfully without banning fishing, and has no depleted fish stocks. It's also proven that these closures will damage fish stocks and the local ecosystem once they go into effect by putting a ton of pressure on the few remaining fishable areas, which also just happen to be the most polluted. We can have this argument in another thread, but I'd really, really prefer not to since every argument on this one is always scientific facts vs unfounded environmentalist emotionalism. And emotionalism says that if you can't win with reason, go for volume. I'll pass thanks :)

This should clear it up though...

http://www.wonews.com/t-LegislativeUpdate-...ies-051109.aspx

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...stry/?uniontrib

HeyLookItsCaps
It's scientifically proven that California has the second best managed fishery in the world after New Zealand so it's conserving its natural resources wonderfully without banning fishing, and has no depleted fish stocks. It's also proven that these closures will damage fish stocks and the local ecosystem once they go into effect by putting a ton of pressure on the few remaining fishable areas, which also just happen to be the most polluted. We can have this argument in another thread, but I'd really, really prefer not to since every argument on this one is always scientific facts vs unfounded environmentalist emotionalism. And emotionalism says that if you can't win with reason, go for volume. I'll pass thanks :)

This should clear it up though...

http://www.wonews.com/t-LegislativeUpdate-...ies-051109.aspx

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...stry/?uniontrib

im not trying to debate anything here bud. i was talking globally.... thanks for the links tho, interesting read. i am just not of the sort that purposely kill things. not a big fan of the fishing industry.

im not trying to debate anything here bud. i was talking globally.... thanks for the links tho, interesting read. i am just not of the sort that purposely kill things. not a big fan of the fishing industry.

I completely agree, someone needs to tell a few countries that no, they can't keep destroying the rest of the world's resources after they ravaged all life within 500 miles of their countries in search for sushi. The commercial fishing industry really needs to start being monitored much more closely for sure...

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a license where I can go out and get an urchin every now and then?

Urchins are fairly commonly taken for food and are specified in the regs, I think the bag limit is 35 per day. The big red ones are very tasty actually :)

seahorsedreams

I've been reading through the site and it's so hard to pick out what you can and cannot do.

What license would I need for that... or would I need a specific stamp on the license?

• 4 weeks later...
I've been reading through the site and it's so hard to pick out what you can and cannot do.

What license would I need for that... or would I need a specific stamp on the license?

I think you need a sportsfishing liscence to take urchins and they don't need to be killed on the beach you can take them home to cook them.

• 5 months later...

Here in NC... the regulations are just as convoluted and unclear. Depending on how you read it, even sport fishing could be illegal. Even when using an official scientific collecting permit it is best to not hang around too long and try to avoid dealing with any authorities. A friend was collecting with a group in the mountains and had a whole afternoon swallowed up while they were forced to wait for a local sheriff to go through channels and eventually figure out the truth. This would have likely been avoided if he just said that he was catching them for bait.

I know many very experienced people here, one who wrote the local native fish book for this region, who all state that the regulations are indeed unclear and that you should be fine collecting fish as bait. As many who have bought live bait know... bait is kept in tanks as well. So it would be difficult to regulate against that. There are protected species and unprotected ones. Most for good reasons.

The bottom line is that you'd have to be a complete moron and an evil S.O.B. to release any fish or other organism from a fish tank in to the wild whether the fish originally came from there or not. That is why I hate sport fishing nurseries so much.

Let's face it. There is a big difference between legality and morality. They don't often coincide.

• 2 years later...
C-Rad, you need to STOP GIVING OUT BAD INFO on this one.

You're going to get someone put in jail, and they're going to be extremely pissed off at you. Have you emailed the department of fish and game on this, or are you just pulling out bull**** directly from your ass? Tell you what, you email the DFG at CalOutdoors@dfg.ca.gov and post their reply back to you on here since you're just not getting it. That way we can all watch you eat some humble pie on your bad advice before people start taking action on it. Also, that way you can stop illegally telling people that it's ok to break the law.

I have friends in the DFG, friends that work with Scientific Collection Permits to collect animals for research at their state aquariums, and know at least one diver with a Marine Aquaria receiver's license, which I feel are much better sources than "**** I just made up."

The reality of the law is this:

"Marine Aquaria Collector $375.00 Required for any person taking, possessing aboard a boat, or landing any live native marine species specified in FGC 8597 from California waters for marine aquaria pet trade purposes. At least one person aboard each commercial fishing vessel shall have a valid marine aquaria collector permit."

All collections must be logged with the DFG, and if you sell or trade a single one of those while in possession of the MAC license you're breaking the law without a Marine Aquaria Receiver's License ($1,626.75).

It is 100% illegal to transport ANY live fish or invertebrates in california unless they are considered bait or unless they are california spiny lobster and in season. The fines for breaking these laws are HUGE, and between those and lawyer fees you will be out at least nearly $10-50,000 for taking C-Rad's awful advice.

Their reply back to you will look exactly like this, but I want to see the one with your name on it to make sure that you actually get it this time. After they email you EDIT YOUR ORIGINAL POST in this thread with the correct info so people reading it don't have to scroll all the way down to this reply to figure out that you have no idea what you're talking about.

misc-got-a-badass-over-here.png

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

On top of that remember that these fees are annual and you may not collect any live rock! Stick with Cold Water Marine Aquatics, play safe!

Organism uses volume, passion, and threats where facts and reason should be. I encourage anyone interested in what's legal to go look at the DFG regulations booklet themselves.

For any animal you want to take (with a fishing license) look in the reg booklet to see if it is prohibited from any one of these four angles: What, Where, When, How. For any given animal, If you can find a place, time, and method of take that is not prohibited, then it is, legal to take that animal, in that place, at that time, in that manner.

What: species, size limit, bag limit, etc.

Where: Restricted area (See MPA's listed in reg booklet), depth, distance from shore, etc

When: Season, day or night, etc.

How: bare hands, net, etc.

All fish are illegal to take from the ocean alive (sorry).

C-Rad, you need to STOP GIVING OUT BAD INFO on this one.

You're going to get someone put in jail, and they're going to be extremely pissed off at you. Have you emailed the department of fish and game on this, or are you just pulling out bull**** directly from your ass? Tell you what, you email the DFG at CalOutdoors@dfg.ca.gov and post their reply back to you on here since you're just not getting it. That way we can all watch you eat some humble pie on your bad advice before people start taking action on it. Also, that way you can stop illegally telling people that it's ok to break the law.

I have friends in the DFG, friends that work with Scientific Collection Permits to collect animals for research at their state aquariums, and know at least one diver with a Marine Aquaria receiver's license, which I feel are much better sources than "**** I just made up."

The reality of the law is this:

"Marine Aquaria Collector $375.00 Required for any person taking, possessing aboard a boat, or landing any live native marine species specified in FGC 8597 from California waters for marine aquaria pet trade purposes. At least one person aboard each commercial fishing vessel shall have a valid marine aquaria collector permit."

All collections must be logged with the DFG, and if you sell or trade a single one of those while in possession of the MAC license you're breaking the law without a Marine Aquaria Receiver's License ($1,626.75).

It is 100% illegal to transport ANY live fish or invertebrates in california unless they are considered bait or unless they are california spiny lobster and in season. The fines for breaking these laws are HUGE, and between those and lawyer fees you will be out at least nearly $10-50,000 for taking C-Rad's awful advice.

Their reply back to you will look exactly like this, but I want to see the one with your name on it to make sure that you actually get it this time. After they email you EDIT YOUR ORIGINAL POST in this thread with the correct info so people reading it don't have to scroll all the way down to this reply to figure out that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Calm your pants, I thought that was actually good advice that you quoted!

AquaticEngineer

My previous post with pictures of the Bat Stars I obtained was not meant as a promotion, I apologize. I meant to convey that it is entirely LEGAL to own Californian native species if you go about it through the correct sources is all :D

I am more than happy to answer any questions about how to LEGALLY obtain Californian native livestock :D

Sure. There are species that are native to California, that are illegal to collect (without specific permits/licenses) but are not illegal to "possess". So you can buy them from a legitimate source, even if you can't collect them yourself. Even if you obtain them legally, there is a chance that you could be accused of having collected them (illegally), so be sure to get, and save, enough paperwork to prove where you legally bought each animal, just in case a judge asks you.

AquaticEngineer
Sure. There are species that are native to California, that are illegal to collect (without specific permits/licenses) but are not illegal to "possess". So you can buy them from a legitimate source, even if you can't collect them yourself. Even if you obtain them legally, there is a chance that you could be accused of having collected them (illegally), so be sure to get, and save, enough paperwork to prove where you legally bought each animal, just in case a judge asks you.

Good advice!! Always get a receipt or invoice that states both the common and scientific names of the animals you purchase if they are native to your state. That way there is no question about where you obtained them.

• 5 months later...
eddiecorrea

Its funny to me that with a touch of a keyboard or a phone call away you could find out all the rules and regulations for collections any place in the US or the world for that matter but alas you super environmentally conscious reef keepers would rather argue about shit anyone with a pee brain could figure out in two seconds or................................................... I don't know maybe............................buy from a god damn dealer so you don't have to worry about any repercussions !!!!!!

leave the collections to people who don't have to ask other people questions that have no authority to give there dim witted half ass made up answers!

Not your friend or fellow reefer,

Josh Groves

:furious: Coldwater Take over :furious:

Wow. You just made your company look really shitty. Coldwater Marine Aquatics gave itself a bad enough rep at the latests PSAS frag swap apparently. I didn't get to deal with you but I talked to a few people who said you guys were arrogant assholes.

Archived