Innovative Marine Aquariums

12 Gallon Nano Reef (SMall Pic Update today)

animalmaster6

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats that's awesome!

I've been reading up a bit on raising shrimp and crabs, it does not seem to be an easy task in the slightest. marinebreeder.org is an awesome site. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people there trying to raise pistol shrimp, so if you do have any success in raising these guys you should definitely post.

This is why I keep buying stuff in 2's - finding something reproducing in the tank is pretty cool, even if the babies don't make it. I'm hoping my pom pom's decide they like each other. There doesn't seem to be much success with their larvae, but I think it would be fun to try and raise some anyway.

Good luck! I can't wait to see more updates. You don't have a microscope that'll let you post larvae pics, do you?

animalmaster6
Awesome, grats on the shrimp.

In regards to raising their larvae, it's going to be beyond a challenge and I'm sure it has been attempted, but not succeed. Like other shrimp species, the eggs will probably be released after the lights are out and you must be ready to collect them. Given that the pistols are so small, I can't imagine how small the larvae will be when they hatch or what their first food will be; I think even rotifers might be too big. You'll need to start culturing rotifers to start. Assuming that the isolated system to raise the larvae in is pristine and you get them to eat, you have to find a way to get them pass metamorphosis when they'll settle from their pelagic larval stage to the ground loving critters that they are.

To date, success has only been in getting Peppermint shrimps pass meta.

It wil be incredibly hard! But I'm determined to get some baby pistol shrimps! :)

Check out my plan everyone on the thread in the invertebrate forum. :)

check out http://www.marinebreeder.org/ for breeding info.

Thanks didn't help that much though.

Congrats that's awesome!

I've been reading up a bit on raising shrimp and crabs, it does not seem to be an easy task in the slightest. marinebreeder.org is an awesome site. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people there trying to raise pistol shrimp, so if you do have any success in raising these guys you should definitely post.

This is why I keep buying stuff in 2's - finding something reproducing in the tank is pretty cool, even if the babies don't make it. I'm hoping my pom pom's decide they like each other. There doesn't seem to be much success with their larvae, but I think it would be fun to try and raise some anyway.

Good luck! I can't wait to see more updates. You don't have a microscope that'll let you post larvae pics, do you?

Thanks!

Breeding is very interesting to try to accomplish. It creates a challenge.

I hope your Pom Poms breed! :)

I have an awesome mircroscope but I don't know how I can take pics using it though.

animalmaster6
Wow. I can't believe this actually the first time I've seen a mated pair of pistol shrimps. That's pretty cool. Good luck with the babies.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
animalmaster6

I recommend 1 Tiger. 2 might fight because there won't be a ton of room in the burrow with the 2 gobies.

I recommend getting a Randall's Pistol (Red banded, Candy Stripe). Much smaller, better looking, more reef-safe, and they are more likely to actually pair up with Hi Fin Gobies than the Tiger is.

animalmaster6

Charging my camera!

Pics tomorrow of my gobies' new burrow.

my Fruit Loops aren't opening becuase of the light :( They will open in the 125 though.

Figured I would stop by and check out your tank. I feel better now that you have had some success with other types of life in there besides just fish and inverts. Gives me hope that I can too :happydance: I like the mushrooms a lot. Good luck with the babies, that is awsome!

animalmaster6

Thanks!

Unfortunetly I did not go threw with the babies. I am setting up a 125 gallon and I can't spend a ton of money on a set up for them.

I should get some pics up soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Mr. Microscope

Hey am,

Any updates on your 12 gallon? How are the pistols doing? Did the fruit loops open? Did you ever get that mantis out of there?

...also...FTS please! :)

Archived