ReefCleaners.org

12 Gallon Nano Reef (SMall Pic Update today)

animalmaster6

Symbiotic relationships are awesome. Also that FW fish you used to have was insane looking, and by that I mean really cool lol.

Wheres this new christmas present I hear about?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
Symbiotic relationships are awesome. Also that FW fish you used to have was insane looking, and by that I mean really cool lol.

Wheres this new christmas present I hear about?

Mutualism is my fav relationship! It's so fun to watch!

My Dragon Eel is insane! I really miss him!!! He was my all-time fav FW fisH! :)

My Christmas present is in the Members Aquariums section. I'm working on new pics :) then i'm going to update my sig.

My 12 G is turning into my quarantine tank :lol:

animalmaster6
Anybody?

Half of it is dead and I need to save the other half!!!!!

It's too late. :angry: half of my Acid Rain Favia is dead and the other half is dying!

Anyways here are some cool and funny pics of my Turbo Snail and Sexy Shrimp

saltwaterpics3023.jpg

saltwaterpics3024.jpg

They show how big Destructo really is compared to my Sexy Shrimp

animalmaster6

UPDATE

Hi everyone,

I have a little update. My corals are doing really bad. My Acid Rain Favia is dead :tears: My Hawaiian Tropics Zoanthids haven't opened in a month and it is covered in Aiptasia! My GSP is doing ok. He's not dead. That's a plus. He's not as vibrant and open as before though. My Atomic Green Zoos are doing pretty good. My Green Ricordia is doing great! My Rainbow Aussie Acan is doing not so well. My Purple Mushromm Rock has been doing terrible! :angry: It hasn't opened forever and the baby small ones have persished! My Green Cloves are gone. They died a while ago. The Candy Cane is doing alright. Not the best though. That's the update on the corals. I think I have a nitrate problem. I'm doing a water change tommorrow and Sunday. Hoepfully things will open up.

The Hi Fin Red banded Goby paired with the mated pair of Red Banded Pistol Shrimps are doing great! My Sexy Shrimp is doing awesome as well! :)

The CUC is doing good. They are doing nothing. I only have 5 CUC members. I have a Turbo Grazer Snail. I have a Red Leg Hermit Crab. I have a Tonga Fighting Conch. I have a Nassarius Snail. I have an Astrea Snail. They aren't doing very well at cleaning though. I need a much bigger CUC.

So I went to Codeman's LFS and picked up a few things. I got 2 small Nerite Snails. I also got 2 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs. They look more like Yellow Tip Hermit Crabs though. I like them better than Blue leg Hermits so it's ok. I will most likely add lots more of an added CUC after I know these ones will survive.

I am trying to make my tank better by adding more of a CUC because my livestock will live in here for a few more months until they go into the 125G. I obviously don't want things to die right before they go into a bigger tank.

Thanks for reading!

all i have to say is that this sucks and if u think some of the corals are not gonna be able to be saved take them out becuase if u leave them in there to die that could cause a nitrogen cycle which i have had and might be wat u have now. but the only way to stop it once it starts killing corals and creats a cascading effect where once one coral dies another one starts to so it keep the cycle going and the only way that i know of to stop it is to take out every dead and dieing coral and maybe even rocks that had corals on them that died awhile ago. i had to do that to my tank and it sucks. :( Best of luck. :)

animalmaster6
What do you have for test kits?

And what kind of lighting is in there?

I have theQucik Dip test kit by Jungle. It is supposed to be for fresh and salt.

I either got it from you guys or Fin Fur and Feather a few minutes awya.

I use the Eclipses lights.

all i have to say is that this sucks and if u think some of the corals are not gonna be able to be saved take them out becuase if u leave them in there to die that could cause a nitrogen cycle which i have had and might be wat u have now. but the only way to stop it once it starts killing corals and creats a cascading effect where once one coral dies another one starts to so it keep the cycle going and the only way that i know of to stop it is to take out every dead and dieing coral and maybe even rocks that had corals on them that died awhile ago. i had to do that to my tank and it sucks. :( Best of luck. :)

I think I might have a big nitrate problem. I am doing two 15% water changes this week.

You're thinking of n ammonia spike, which is part of the nitrogen cycle. Something dying and causing an ammonia spike won't make the tank cycle again, but it's not going to do any good for the inhabitants.

I have theQucik Dip test kit by Jungle. It is supposed to be for fresh and salt.

I use the Eclipses lights.

I think I might have a big nitrate problem. I am doing two 15% water changes this week.

Are they power compacts or regular fluorescent bulbs? Most NO (normal output) fluorescents don't put out enough light for most corals. Power compacts are fine for what you have in there though.

Try to get ahold of a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Liquid kits are much more accurate. You could get the API saltwater master kit, it does Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph I believe.

It's tough to diagnose the problem until you get some readings on your water. Make sure your salinity, ph, alkalinity etc. are in the appropriate range and don't add anything to the tank till you test.

animalmaster6
You're thinking of n ammonia spike, which is part of the nitrogen cycle. Something dying and causing an ammonia spike won't make the tank cycle again, but it's not going to do any good for the inhabitants.

Are they power compacts or regular fluorescent bulbs? Most NO (normal output) fluorescents don't put out enough light for most corals. Power compacts are fine for what you have in there though.

Try to get ahold of a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Liquid kits are much more accurate. You could get the API saltwater master kit, it does Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph I believe.

It's tough to diagnose the problem until you get some readings on your water. Make sure your salinity, ph, alkalinity etc. are in the appropriate range and don't add anything to the tank till you test.

I don't even know the lighting for this tank. All I know is it is 50/50 Flurescents.

Do you guys sell the API Saltwater Master Test Kit?

MORE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, a pic of my late Dragon Eel (Dragon Goby) He was my favorite freshwater fish ever and he lasted a very long time!

saltwaterpics3013.jpg

very cool fish!

I don't even know the lighting for this tank. All I know is it is 50/50 Flurescents.

Do you guys sell the API Saltwater Master Test Kit?

You've got power compacts. Lighting shouldn't be the problem.

We have the kit, yes.

animalmaster6
You've got power compacts. Lighting shouldn't be the problem.

We have the kit, yes.

Thanks Cody!

I'll probably stop by tomorrow. Can I bring a sample of water and have someone test it? Do you know how to do that?

I've needed to test the water for a long while!

Thanks Cody!

I'll probably stop by tomorrow. Can I bring a sample of water and have someone test it? Do you know how to do that?

I've needed to test the water for a long while!

I'll test it for you, sure.

animalmaster6
I'll test it for you, sure.

thanks man! Do you know how to get a sample of water. Do I just bring a cup with water in it?

O ya, The Hermits you gave me are already eating detritus! The Nerites are doing good to!

I put my water in empty water bottles (like ones i've just used for drinking water, yay recycling!) when I have to bring it in to get it tested. I like the salifert brand of test kits, they seem really accurate. How often do you do water changes? I would test for alkalinity too... See it that's off.

animalmaster6
I put my water in empty water bottles (like ones i've just used for drinking water, yay recycling!) when I have to bring it in to get it tested. I like the salifert brand of test kits, they seem really accurate. How often do you do water changes? I would test for alkalinity too... See it that's off.

Thanks I'll try that next time I bring it in to test.

UPDATE

So I did a water cahnge and I tested the water with my test strips.

The results were dissapointing. Everything was fine except for alkaline and nitrates. The alkaline was a little off and the nitrates were dangerously high! Hopefully the water cahnge fixed it.

I will test it again tomorrow and see if their is a difference.

Happy New year!!!!!!

sucks about the nitrate problem. if this water change did not fix it just keep doing more and when u do a water change stir up the sand and look for any detritus and suck all that up as well. :)

animalmaster6
Awesome tank!

Thanks!

That means a lot! :)

sucks about the nitrate problem. if this water change did not fix it just keep doing more and when u do a water change stir up the sand and look for any detritus and suck all that up as well. :)

Thanks Weeber!

The water change helped a little. Some of the mushrooms are opening up again :)

I will test it again later.

I hope to do another water change tomorrow or Sunday

animalmaster6

UPDATE

So nitrate problem is going down a bit. The Candy Cane is looking a lot better! 2 of the mushrooms on the rock are doing better. One of those two are doing awesome and is huge!

The recent additions are doing good. The 2 hermits are doing awesome! The Nerites aren't moving around much at all. They just sit at the same spot all day and move like 1 inch at night.

omgomgomg

PIX

omgomgomg

Sexy Shrimp pics

saltwaterpics3025.jpg

saltwaterpics3029.jpg

My new Nerite Snail

saltwaterpics3027.jpg

A cool pic of Destructo

saltwaterpics3026.jpg

My Candy Cane Coral is looking a little better

saltwaterpics3028.jpg

What do you think?

animalmaster6

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

One of my new hermits went into a new shell! I bought the shell 3 months ago and accidentally shoved it into my live rock so far in that I coudn't get it out. So I left it there. A few minutes ago I turned arounds and saw the shell walking! And I realized one of the hermits changed shells! He looks huge!

Archived