ReefCleaners.org

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

Sorry to hear - I would talk to your LFS about the "rental" :)

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think a healthy six line would get stuck like that... I would guess it was not doing well, and just went up there and died. Healthy fish could easily get out of that.

i agree

its always a bummer when you loose a fish

i had an ich incident and lost a clown that i had for about year and half, and a flame angel

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy agreed to refund but he didn't have anymore 6 lines. Had a cool looking Gramma but I figured I'd just wait for a few days till he got another wrasse.

Said he had that wrasse for 3 months in the little frag display he pulled it out of for me, but I've checked my water twice and there's nothing wrong with it so wtf. Clowns are doing fine and the wrasse gave no indication that something was wrong. He was fine, then I looked a couple hours later and he was dead. No damage on the body that I could see.

Guy agreed to refund but he didn't have anymore 6 lines. Had a cool looking Gramma but I figured I'd just wait for a few days till he got another wrasse.

Said he had that wrasse for 3 months in the little frag display he pulled it out of for me, but I've checked my water twice and there's nothing wrong with it so wtf. Clowns are doing fine and the wrasse gave no indication that something was wrong. He was fine, then I looked a couple hours later and he was dead. No damage on the body that I could see.

in that case ... darwin said it best ...

I'd wait for a new wrasse if it were me

I really like your tanksetup the 2 LR Islands and the space in between them is nice look. I like a really open tank but you have some nice LR in there. A really clean look I really dig it good job and good luck in the future.

Too bad about the Wrasse. They are neat little fish.

Yes. It was like adding an intellectual to the tank compared to the pair of bumbling, retarded clowns. Very inquisitive fish.

Picked up an aqualifter pump and hopefully tomorrow aquacave.com will have a jbj ato unit i can go pick up.

Ok I'm about ready to go fishless. Just went upstairs to see if the skimmer box was looking low on water and what do I see? The larger clown swimming around in the pump chamber... Had to take the whole unit off to pour his dumb ass back out. Doesn't seem the worse for wear.

Any opinions on using some nylon window screen as a mesh over the box?

thats something ive been meaning to look into

ive been lucky thus far no carpet surfing, or jumping into the overflow

A few clowns jumped into the back chamber of my old ap

I have a glass cover but i dont particularly like it

seems like a good idea

screen or eggcrate should work... I am not sure how big the opening is but anything you can put there that does not restrict flow should be good.

When I had the nano cube up, I had to pull the firefish out of the back chambers four times. Almost left him in there the last time.

Picked up the JBJ ato.

Also had an interesting chat with a guy about lighting, and I think I'm going to return (if I can, else sell) the MH clip-on and go with a T5/led combo (yes, yes - as originally suggested). Told him I just didn't want to ever be told I did not have enough light for any coral I might want to grow. He said 150w MH on a 12 inch deep tank is insanity, and that T5's would fit the bill for even the most light hungry coral in such a shallow tank.

I told you so :)

Yep!

Was going to get this Finnex fixture with 4xT5 plus 9 LED but there is no 30" size. I called Finnex and the legs on the 24" won't accomodate a 30 inch tank.

You could go with a 30" T5 and do supplement LED. There are a lot more options today than even 5 months ago. Powerbrites are nice, and now there are some new LED strips:

LED Strips

That way you can get the fixture you want and then customize the additional LED.

Yep!

Was going to get this Finnex fixture with 4xT5 plus 9 LED but there is no 30" size. I called Finnex and the legs on the 24" won't accomodate a 30 inch tank.

So this weekend when nikowolf came and picked up the LR from my BC8, I took a gallon of the water and dumped it in my tank. With no CUC in there, the tank was literally swimming with pods (those not covering the glass) and algae was having a field day.

Jumped up the population in the 20L, but also introduced some brown algae in spots on the sand. Could it be regular cycling that caused it? Maybe. But I've been testing the water and nitrate is near 0 and phosphate is undetectable (I mean no color change on the API test whatsoever).

Was going to pick up a couple more snails to help the 4 or 5 in there mow it down, but the lfs apparently called it a snow day.

Been doing a lot of reading about what exactly qualifies a 'mature tank'. Interesting stuff about wave after wave of populations blooming, dying off and being replaced by other populations until eventually equilibrium is reached. Old news to most I imagine, but new to me and answered a lot of the questions that pop into my head when I read 'wait, wait, then wait some more' in regard to reefs.

Got the JBJ ATO all setup. I've been sick this week, to the point where going out of town for Xmas is still looking unlikely. But nice to have this going anyway.

Wife found a perfect 3 gallon water container at Target. That, some hose and and Aqualifter 20 does the trick.

ato.1.jpg

Line dumps into the surface skimmer box. The floats that come with the JBJ couldn't be uglier or more intrusive. Might have to remedy the aesthetics in the future.

ato.2.jpg

I wouldn't recommend this product, at least not for a display tank application. Does it work? Yes. Can it break? Extremely easily. Can it be improved? Yes, which is why I won't return it, but it's just irritating that 5 more minutes of thought wasn't put into the engineering by the manufacturer. Could have been a lot better out of the box.

Picked up 3 additional snails to keep the algae down and also grabbed a peppermint shrimp. Was pretty cool to watch this guy. 45 minutes after going in, he managed to locate and absolutely destroy an aiptasia nem that was growing on one of the frags.

pep_shrimp.jpg

looks great! ATO can look bad, but what a lifesaver for trips... Did you name the shrimp?

Never really got into naming fish for some reason. Really interesting animal to watch, such odd behavior.

Looking good! Be very careful with the peppermint shrimp if you get any acans. They're great for ridding your tank of aiptasia and unfortunately, acans as well.

Archived