Cultivated Reef

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why did you have to change the aquascape? Couldn't you have just moved the rocks forward a little bit?

Was only a couple inches to the glass as it was. The rocks on the right and left are very broad, think dinner-plates.

I have that rock in my bc I can work with as well. I'm not sure how it will end up looking. I do miss the open area in the middle tho.

Was only a couple inches to the glass as it was. The rocks on the right and left are very broad, think dinner-plates.

I have that rock in my bc I can work with as well. I'm not sure how it will end up looking. I do miss the open area in the middle tho.

I see... Personally, I would try to get it back to somthing similar to how you had it. The open look was definitely working!

On a similar note, something I've been thinking about for a while would be just basically one large pile of rocks on either side of the tank. Then have it taper off toward the other side a little while leaving the vast majority of the other side completely open (hope that makes sense). Idk, it's something different than the rest....

If you were to do something like that you could easily get away with just one light. All you would have to do is center the light over the rock pile. I have my lights set staggered to simulate the suns movement across the sky, and to tell you the truth, I prefer the look of only having one halide on. Regardless of which one it is.

i think having the open space back would look the best, JMO. or what glenn said, the rock on one side, like a drop-off tank of sorts. it pretty accurately mimics how a lot of the world's reefs are set up and it helps with placement in that regard. looking good though!

Managed to get the original scape back in place. Also migrated all the corals over from the bc8, with the exception of two blue shrooms. Just didn't feel like dealing with the slimy buggers tonight. Everything got a freshwater dip between tanks (had been seeing worms wiggling around in the bc8) and has already started opening up. Except for the xenia which shriveled up and is really, really po'd.

IMG_00235.jpg

Bonus, the skimmer started making skimmate. Really watery stuff, but nontheless... Also started with the microbubbles as the instructions warned, but it's supposed to stop after a week or two.

I was really, really surprised at how much growth there had been in the BC in such a short amount of time. Popping a lot of those zoas off the LR revealed that most of them had already extended their mats well past the frag plug I bought them on. One cluster I actually ripped in half pulling what I thought was the edge of the plug up. Voila, frag'd zoas...

Looking good!

Sorry i didnt get back to you on the reefkeeper question, but at least you feel better and got off the phone to look it up :P.

I surf this site on my iphone all the time and use it tell me when i have a PM and reply to them.

Its tedious, but its the fix i need while im at work!

I do the same, generally killing time between appointments or waiting for other people to show up. No tabs on the phone browser though, and I've gotten really damn reliant on tabs when browsing lol. I just didn't want to break away from the site to go google that thing.

That xenia is stinking to high heaven. I can smell it when I walk in the tank room. Did not see anything about a freshwater dip roasting it, but man it is looking brutalized. We'll see how it goes.

I was hoping the 20 gallons of money pit had been satisified, but I can tell already I'm going to have to get an ATO. Twice I've caught the skimmer pump gurgling and not much water in the surface skimmer chamber.

Awesome choice on the skimmer and other equipment. I am also digging the scape.

BTW, did you give up on the ac70 fug mod? I can't see it hanging anywhere. I was just wondering as I am considering doing a ac70 fuge mod of my own and wanted to know the parts you used and how you decided to set it up.

Cheers!

did you give up on the ac70 fug mod?

I took it off, yeah. Didn't really give up, was just talked into the skimmer by some friends.

I still have it. The 'grate' is tack glued into place but the one chamber wall I put in can be easily yanked out. I think doing the chamber walls out of a couple pieces of acrylic or something is the way to go. I tried to use the remaining pieces of the media basket and it's pretty lame.

Whole thing with all parts is sitting here in a box. I will happily sell it to you at a big loss since I can't return it... Shoot me a pm if interested.

I ended up tossing my xenia. Ever since it came out of the freshwater dip, it was trashed. Today I saw pieces of it literally coming off. I can't believe it, I read nothing about freshwater harming it and all the other corals got a bath and are wide open and happy.

Not that I'm crying about it, it was not my favorite, but still...

Doing first WC tonight. Salt mixing as I type.

fastandsneaky

never ever ever never do a fw dip. there are procedures to do a fw dip but only to kill certain things that iodine w/saltwater or other dips cant do. for fw dips you need to match pH, temp, and other factors to put less stress on the coral. would you like it if a person put you in a chamber full of methane gas? fw dips will usually stress it out and kill it.

never ever ever never do a fw dip. there are procedures to do a fw dip but only to kill certain things that iodine w/saltwater or other dips cant do. for fw dips you need to match pH, temp, and other factors to put less stress on the coral. would you like it if a person put you in a chamber full of methane gas? fw dips will usually stress it out and kill it.

I just went by the countless write-up's available about doing a freshwater dip to rid new additions of pests. In this case I had noticed small worms on some of my zoa frags, so I dip'd them all before moving them to the new tank. Frogspawn as well. No more worms are showing up, and those are all doing good.

Didn't dip the blasto. Obviously did dip the xenia, but again because I read that it was ok. Lesson learned there...

Temp and ph was same as in both the source and destination tanks, and was using RO.

Not arguing with you, nor am I surprised if you are telling me the Internet gave me bull#### information, lol. Just trying to learn the ropes.

WC done and mounted all the zoas where I wanted them. You guys will probably lynch me but I changed the scape again lol. Will post pics when the tank clears up. I think you may like it. Same general topography.

A new addition to the tank:

new.wrasse.jpg

I was worried the dominant clown would beat on him, since that clown beats on me every time I reach into the tank, but everyone seems to be getting along well. The wrasse is really interesting. I had no idea so many of the holes in the LR were actually connected. Time and again he heads for a rock, disappears and comes out a hole elsewhere. Pretty neat guy!

New scape does look good. I liked the six line I had, he just became too aggressive that my firefish NEVER came out. Got rid of him...

What are you going to do with the sloping left rock? With the lighting, I could almost see you moving that one so that you have a almost a 90 drop from the top on the far left side.

Great progress!

Really not sure yet. There's so much real estate in this tank (coming from the bc8). Was reading on sea fans. High flow, lower light. That looks like a prime spot and I could see a tree'ish creature making that area look good.

Again though, so much empty space to fill. Was looking at lps tonight, lots of acans. More reading and reading, trying to come up with a plan that doesn't park a bunch of psychotic killer corals within reach of each other...

So one of the local shops had a frag sale going. As a good American, I spent some money so that the terrorists don't win.

Tiny little sps frags

sps.jpg

Favia. They had a red one too I may go back and get but it wasn't on sale.

favia.jpg

Candy Cane

candycne.jpg

This is a zoa I've had for a while, I just like the look of it and was wondering if someone might know the name

pink.zoas.jpg

And this is some ric I've had for a while. It's stayed in this shape for a few days now. It's in a (relatively) low light area, should I move it into a brighter spot or is it fine? I remember it being a little more spread out in the BC.

ric.jpg

Need to get an ATO in place early this week. Was looking at the JBJ model, unless anyone has a better recommendation.

Well my wrasse killed himself. Worked his way in behind the skimmer box and the back glass and apparently couldn't work his way back out. I'm bummed, he was a cool fish.

Best line of the day comes from my wife - "dead after two days, quite the expensive rental..."

Sorry to hear - I would talk to your LFS about the "rental" :)

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think a healthy six line would get stuck like that... I would guess it was not doing well, and just went up there and died. Healthy fish could easily get out of that.

Archived