Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bonsai's [In-Closet] Frag Tank

Bonsai

A snapshot of my large "LA Lakers" Zoanthids.

ft-lalakersmother.jpg

... which I fragged up tonight. Here is one of the frags from the mother colony.

ft-lalakersfrag.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably the slickest, and sickest, little frag tank I've ever seen. Verrrry nice. When I have the cash I want to do 4 x four foot acrylic tanks like this, only shallower, all on a racking system with HOLEDs...

This is probably the slickest, and sickest, little frag tank I've ever seen. Verrrry nice. When I have the cash I want to do 4 x four foot acrylic tanks like this, only shallower, all on a racking system with HOLEDs...

Thank for the compliment! The limiting size factor for this tank was the closet that houses it. But for now, it works well. :)

What kind of media are you running in your sump?

For filter media, I had a filter sock, but I took it off ... right now, I just use the stock sponge that came with the eShopps sump. I also run chemical media down there ... just a bag of Chemi-Pure ... and biological filtration via Live Rock, of course.

Slow night around the house tonight -- so I grabbed a few updated shots from the In-Closet Frag Tank. In the FTS, you'll see eggcrate on TOP of the tank. This is my work area when fragging :)

Late January 2010 FTS:

ft-latejanfts.jpg

A closer look ...

ft-latejancloser.jpg

Blurry (sorry) photo of my Rastas:

ft-latejanrastas.jpg

:bowdown:

Every time you take pics of it... I love it more and more!!! -_-

Truly a beautiful frag tank!!! B)

Thanks - I really appreciate that. :)

Never have I liked Fruit Loops more....

Likewise :)

Fruit loops are incredibly difficult to frag, they grow so close together and the polyps are basically flat, instead of being more like a raised "ball" like other zoas.

I ran my original frag through my ring saw to chop it in half. Once these grow out more, I'll do it again ... and again ... and again :)

animalmaster6

Definetly the best frag tank I've ever seen! For sure!

I love those Fruit Loops so much!!! :)

In fact, this frag tank has inspired me to most likely make a frag tank for the 125G

Thanks for sharing Bonsai :)

Now, if I could only solve the crazy Cyano problem I'm having in my BC8

I feel you also. It is almost all the way gone in my solana but it is starting in my BC8

I feel you also. It is almost all the way gone in my solana but it is starting in my BC8

I'm tackling my BC8's cyano problem head-on:

• I changed the PC bulbs - I'm now using brand new Coralife 10K and Actinc bulbs
  • I did a couple big water changes, siphoning out all the cyano I could
  • I used a turkey baster to clean out the rear chambers completely
  • I went 100% lights out last weekend

My next step, if I see Cyano building up this week, is to treat with some chemicals. I had success before with them.

So this is where all of my beautiful Zoas come from!

Just wondering about how much this system cost you.

First rule of married reefing, we don't talk about costs ;)

My last batch of LA Lakers frags, mostly from people who people who have me "reserve" a frag and never actually follow through. A couple of the frags were from the last of the mother colony.

LA Lakers!

ft-lalakersgroup.jpg

Archived