Pod Your Reef

20L>AP24 by Justin

Justind823

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would imagine with the 80's you'll need to move the lights closer to the tank. Will this be a problem?

Yea you are right about that. They would definitely need to be close which is fine since I luckily made my fixture adjustable. The pipe frame moves up and down and is held in place by a few pins.

Warehouse41Ant
Yea you are right about that. They would definitely need to be close which is fine since I luckily made my fixture adjustable. The pipe frame moves up and down and is held in place by a few pins.

Well then you should be set. I, personally, would like to have the lights closer. I just think having the fixture "in frame," so-to-speak, really helps the overall look of the tank. Plus, with lights this sexy, how can you NOT want to see em? B)

Well then you should be set. I, personally, would like to have the lights closer. I just think having the fixture "in frame," so-to-speak, really helps the overall look of the tank. Plus, with lights this sexy, how can you NOT want to see em? B)

Absolutely, I'd much rather have them lower. Sexiness is key. They just about hit the ceiling as of now.

Alright I got the new 80 degree optics on Monday and I put them all in on Tuesday so lower light hooorrraaayyy!! I'm still going to go down a couple more notches I just figured I do it slowly.

IMG_2487.jpg

And I got some new sun polyps last week or something. This is a night shot, any idea how to get them to open during the day? Should I try feeding in the morning or something?

IMG_2489.jpg

feed the sun coral at the same time each day, eventually they will learn to open up around that time. i fed mine between 5-6 PM until it started to open around tht time

• 2 weeks later...
NebraskaDocs

Any updates?

Enjoyed reading this thread and checking out the great Par38s...I'm interested in your experience with the 80 degree optics. Great setup and thanks for sharing info on the lights (for all of us who are still just dreaming about going LED).

some details on your plumbing would be appreciated. I have a 20L running and i wanna drill it and remove the rim. I like your style. How did the eurobrace work and how did you do it?

Any updates?

Enjoyed reading this thread and checking out the great Par38s...I'm interested in your experience with the 80 degree optics. Great setup and thanks for sharing info on the lights (for all of us who are still just dreaming about going LED).

No updates really, I bought a sad looking torch the other night, very sad looking. I would never buy sick coral but I guess I felt bad for it and I love torches so I brought it home. Its been in the tank for a couple days and seems like its coming around though I might loose a few heads. Even still, if 8 out of 10 heads make it, it was a pretty good deal, just 25 bucks.

I think the 80 degree optics are great, I still keep the bulbs about a foot and a half off the water line 'cause when I had them lower for a couple of days the corals didn't seem to extend as much as usual. Either way its much better than having them pretty much on the ceiling.

some details on your plumbing would be appreciated. I have a 20L running and i wanna drill it and remove the rim. I like your style. How did the eurobrace work and how did you do it?

Drilling was surprisingly easy, you just have to take it slow. There isn't really much to my plumbing, I got an overflow and return kit from Glass-holes.com and then ran 1" PVC from the overflow to the sump and I'm using a Quiet One 1200 (I like this one a lot since it has an adjustable flow rate) which is plumbed back with 1/2" PVC.

The eurobracing is doing a good job, there is a noticeable difference from when I filled the tank without the bracing and now. The bowing that I saw scared me to putting the bracing on and now there is none at all. I probably could have gotten away without it, in fact there is someone who posted on this thread a while back who has a rimless 20l and his has been going for awhile I just feel safer with it on. My buddies father is a glass repair man so I just went over there to cut some glass strips and siliconed them on the rim of the tank, that simple really.

NebraskaDocs

Hope the torch pulls through.

A foot and a half isn't too bad for the lights, better than some who have them in the attic. Other than the corals getting pi$$ed, how close to the surface were you able to put the lights and still be happy with the spread? I also like your track light fixtures more than most that I've seen. Where did you get them and (if you have a spare moment) what is the height from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the track?

You're one of the only builds I can find that are sharing info on these lights on tanks bigger than a pico. Great work and thanks for documenting.

Hope the torch pulls through.

A foot and a half isn't too bad for the lights, better than some who have them in the attic. Other than the corals getting pi$$ed, how close to the surface were you able to put the lights and still be happy with the spread? I also like your track light fixtures more than most that I've seen. Where did you get them and (if you have a spare moment) what is the height from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the track?

You're one of the only builds I can find that are sharing info on these lights on tanks bigger than a pico. Great work and thanks for documenting.

I could put the light inches off the surface and still have a good light spread. The 80's disperse the light very well.

I got the track and fixtures from Lowe's and just cut the track down to fit the length of the tank. From the track to the end of the bulb is 7.5".

Thanks for all the complements!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a pair of ORA Tiger Gobies in yesterday from Diver's Den. They're great, the perfect size for my tank. It took a long time to pick out fish for this tank because everything just seemed too big. They are alittle over an inch and should get to be about 2".

IMG_2523.jpg

The only picture I could get of the both of them.

IMG_2528.jpg

I also got a pom pom and should be gettting a porcalein crab in the mail once they are back in stock.

IMG_2522.jpg

The fire and ice zoa rock in the picture with the gobies is new also.

Very nice tank! I can't wait for your foam rocks to become alive.

They're actually getting there, I'll have to post an FTS later today.

I

want

that

torch!!!

Tank looks great. I remember reading when you were making that foam wall and was thinking hmmm... But sure as hell seems to have been a great idea, super interesting scape.

Take my food will ya?!

IMG_2517.jpg

lol

and do u have any directions or threads about how to make a foam wall because i would like to make one in my pico. :)

Archived