Coral Vue Hydros

20L>AP24 by Justin

Justind823

Wow, great set-up! Can you give us a pic of how blue is the Par 38 14K vs the 20K?

Where did you get the led lamps? What type of fixture did you use. Looks stellar man.

Its the Par 38 lamp by Evil, it can be found on Nano-tuners.com, with a track lighting fixture.

So I'm currently running a 20L also and I was wondering if you had any pictures of the tank just under the 20K's. I'm not usually big on really blue tanks, but I'm hoping to get away with 2 bulbs rather than 3 so just wanted to see what it looks like. Need to know if I could use 2 20K or 2 12K...or I may just have to steal your setup :P

The 20k's are not overwhelmingly blue, but with the 12k's you still get a pop in colors from the blue in them. Just look at an FTS, the 20k's are on the left and right. You really have to see them in person, that's probably the best representation I can give with a photo.

Damn, more clams! The peer pressure is intense...

GET SOME!

That is an awesome tank man, love the DIY-ness of it.

Thanks, very much!

AWESOME!!! Them's some friggin' sweet clams!

Justin - when you get a chance, can you add your incredible tank to the 20L Owners thread? It just would not be the same without yours on there. :) Link is in sig below.

I know, I know, I bring a lot to the table... :P I will be sure to add myself to the list shortly.

could you show us more info on your light setup, i have 3 par38's coming in and i want to make a fixture similar to yours, i know you used track lighting, but how do you have it connected to the stand and how is in connected to the track lighting...thanks :)

IMG_2607.jpg

I used some "U" shaped hardware-I don't know what they are called- to mount the steel pipe and still have the ability to slide the whole fixture up and down. You can see some holes that I drilled to keep it in place at whatever height I want.

IMG_2583.jpg

I just drilled two holes in the track and mounted it with bolts. Simple as that.

I love your tank setup. The euro-braced 20L is awesome, and the semi AIO sump setup to accommodate the mantis is a great idea, much easier than giving it its own tank. I've never seen anything quite like it. A++ !

Awesome, thanks!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got some cool pictures too!

Pom Pom

IMG_2592.jpg

One of the gobies stuffing its face with a big amphipod :lol:

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

And finally the FTS

IMG_2586.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

yea i built my stand and light fixture before you posted and it looks like i did the same thing you did anyways lol, but i used pvc (cheaper :)) we will see how it holds since the par38's are still on back order, but anyways im using almost all the identical stuff for my 40 breeder, i have mp10 and 3 par38's coming but the way i see it is i am only needing to light the area of a 20 gal where my corals will be, but if not i will just add another, and my rock work is setup up so that the flow goes around, but i just was gonna say your light fixture looks great :)

Tiger gobies :wub:

I have two as well.

Yea, I bought them off DD as a pair. More like "pair." They hate each other. Luckily they are tiny, so there's plenty of places to hide, but damnit they hate each other.

yea i built my stand and light fixture before you posted and it looks like i did the same thing you did anyways lol, but i used pvc (cheaper :)) we will see how it holds since the par38's are still on back order, but anyways im using almost all the identical stuff for my 40 breeder, i have mp10 and 3 par38's coming but the way i see it is i am only needing to light the area of a 20 gal where my corals will be, but if not i will just add another, and my rock work is setup up so that the flow goes around, but i just was gonna say your light fixture looks great :)

That sounds cool. Are you doing a single island with a lot of open fish space? That'd be a pretty sweet setup, at least in my head...

I'm excited to see pictures when you set it up!

Nope, no epoxy. A potential mistake on my part but I did put a lot of sand on it while the foam was curing. We'll see what happens!

naw its two island, but yea trying to keep some open sand, but i wont be posting pictures til i get my lights, cuz right now my zoas and acans are under pc's and my sps are at a buddys tank, but one side will have a toad stool or two (neon hopefully) and then the other island will have whatever i please with other crap on the bottom, but i just think that two of these lights will light one island and one other light will light the smaller one

Nope, no epoxy. A potential mistake on my part but I did put a lot of sand on it while the foam was curing. We'll see what happens!

I wasn't criticizing, just wondering for my benefit. I am going to attempt something like that this weekend. I plan on covering it with broken live rock/crushed coral/sand but I do like the way yours looks. I was going to ziptie the rock to the egg crate and then fill it with foam, and put more rock and crushed coral/sand in places.

What really is there to worry about when it comes to not using epoxy? The piece floating at some point?

Well there's been talk of the foam not standing up well to the intense lighting over time (years?) and falling apart. I'm not sure this has actually happened to anyone, mostly just talk of the risk. The epoxy acts as UV protection.

DHaut actually just posted a very good writeup about foam walls. Should be helpful for you.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2738145

naw its two island, but yea trying to keep some open sand, but i wont be posting pictures til i get my lights, cuz right now my zoas and acans are under pc's and my sps are at a buddys tank, but one side will have a toad stool or two (neon hopefully) and then the other island will have whatever i please with other crap on the bottom, but i just think that two of these lights will light one island and one other light will light the smaller one

Gotchya, well you won't be dissapointed with those lights once you get them.

Sorry to be a pain, but your lighting is so awesome. What kind of ballast is running the lights? I understand that you have them in a track lighting system, but is it just a normal Home-Depot-ish ballast that would run normal track lights?

Also, the bulbs...are they special PAR 38's or is that a same bulb that can be bought at a Home Depot as well?

Thanks so much and AWESOME job!!!

Sorry to be a pain, but your lighting is so awesome. What kind of ballast is running the lights? I understand that you have them in a track lighting system, but is it just a normal Home-Depot-ish ballast that would run normal track lights?

Also, the bulbs...are they special PAR 38's or is that a same bulb that can be bought at a Home Depot as well?

Thanks so much and AWESOME job!!!

I answered your PM, hopefully that helps you out. Thanks fro the compliment!

I am also trying to figure out where you bought the fixture, that the par 38 screws into.

The fixture i got from Lowes. I think they were $10 a piece.

The light fixture is pimp.......very original..

Thankyou sir.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol I almost forgot about my tank thread, sorry guys.

I lost the charger for the battery in my camera so I cant give you any pics...not that I would really want to anyway. My RODI unit has been giving me crappy water... blegh

First I noticed some GHA then cyano and then some bryopsis so I knew something was up. I never got a TDS meter when I got the unit so I just hoped it was working right (poor choice.) I bought one a couple weeks ago to find out my water was at about 35ppm for tds. Yikes. Soooo I'm back to buying water until I can sort out this filter problem.

The algae seems to have been receding since then soooo I bought some things. Heh. I got some porcelain crabs and some pom pom and some sexies and oh yea a pink-streaked wrasse (which is awesome btw) And before I figured out about the bad water I had gotten a mess of zoa frags and a duncan colony. None of this I can give you pictures due to the lack of battery charger.

Once I find that I'll get some pics up for you!

Pics or it didn't happen...

(kinda like a squirrel breaking wind in the forest when no one is around.)

Pics or it didn't happen...

(kinda like a squirrel breaking wind in the forest when no one is around.)

Lol I knew I was going to get something like that.

I'll see what I can do...

hey, when you took off the bracing, what did you use besides a blade, to take off the left overs of the silicone?

hey, when you took off the bracing, what did you use besides a blade, to take off the left overs of the silicone?

I only used a blade. If you use a brand new one for the leftovers that's all it takes.

The hunt for the battery charger continues but until the I've got some pictures from my Droid. They're a little washed out but that's all I can offer at the moment.

Sexies hanging out in the frogspawn

2010-04-09124038.jpg

One of the peppermints was being a camera hog so this is the best I could do for the new guy.

2010-04-09131646.jpg

2010-04-09131337.jpg

Haha I had to build a frag rack for all these new items :D

2010-04-08145315.jpg

Side shot

2010-04-08145532.jpg

FTS

2010-04-08144911.jpg

I'm trying to decide on something maybe you guys can help me out. Its between putting a lid on the tank for the new fish or adding rock to the island on the left to make it stick out of the water.

I really like the idea of rock out of the water but I'm afraid that this skittish little wrasse will make a jump for it.

Archived