Cultivated Reef

New JBJ 28g LED tank

Crease123

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
omgomgomg you got one!?

Well, I did say earlier in the thread that I ordered it on the 27th, so yes, it just arrived. The UPS driver gave me a dirty look as he carried it up to my doorstep, LOL

So I have the tank sitting next to me right now...the online retailer shipped me the tank but apparently shipped me a lighting kit retrofit instead of a stand....extremely odd mistake to make, but alas, they're sending out a stand now and should arrive late Thurs. I'm busy staring at the darned tank trying to figure out what I can do with it. Main point of contention is whether a Tunze 9002 will fit in one of the back chambers. I believe this tank has the same frame and design as the 28g HQI, although I could be mistaken?

Come on Vesian update us already! how was the tank!

I haven't set it up yet, it's sitting on the floor right next to me though. Only received the stand and assembled it yesterday. Also had to move my BC14 from its current spot so I can place my new NCLED there instead. Easier said then done when it's filled with water, corals, and 2 clownfish that are afraid of change ;p Probably going to go to the LFS and add sand+water tomorrow. Still thinking about where to get the live rock though. LFS's have it for like 5-6 dollars per pound. I'd much rather pay ~2ish :-(

I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow.

Dustin C Mills
I just got one last night and have it setup...I will try and post a pic

Please tell us more!

What do you think of it so far? Overpriced or you happy so far? Any pics of the hood open?

Please please share

+10

Dustin C Mills
Here you go

Awesome, thanks John and welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around.

Are the backs open or closed on those tanks? I know that the 28 Gallon Compact and HQI are open. What do you think about your wavemaker? Does the tank make much noise?

Awesome, thanks John and welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around.

Are the backs open or closed on those tanks? I know that the 28 Gallon Compact and HQI are open. What do you think about your wavemaker? Does the tank make much noise?

Backs are open and I think its the same as the HQI tank. I'm running both pumps at the moment, I want to filter as much as I can at the moment. I put live rock rubble in the basket and have some filter media in the back

Dustin C Mills
Backs are open and I think its the same as the HQI tank. I'm running both pumps at the moment, I want to filter as much as I can at the moment. I put live rock rubble in the basket and have some filter media in the back

Cool

Check out http://www.mediabaskets.com/ they have some really nice media trays for those 28 gallons.

Are you going to put a skimmer on your tank?

EDIT..sorry those are for the 24.

Cool

Check out http://www.mediabaskets.com/ they have some really nice media trays for those 28 gallons.

Are you going to put a skimmer on your tank?

EDIT..sorry those are for the 24.

I might...just want to get the cycle over with and see what I'm working with. My LFS has the regular JBJ 28 and they are just running rubble in the medabasket, so I thought I would try that and see.

Dustin C Mills
I might...just want to get the cycle over with and see what I'm working with. My LFS has the regular JBJ 28 and they are just running rubble in the medabasket, so I thought I would try that and see.

How are the lights running? Are you getting a spotlight effect? How hot do they run?

How are the lights running? Are you getting a spotlight effect? How hot do they run?

Yeah tell us about the lighting and your opinions. I remember reading one guy saying he's not impressed with it when he saw it at the beginning. Any issues with heat?

Yeah tell us about the lighting and your opinions. I remember reading one guy saying he's not impressed with it when he saw it at the beginning. Any issues with heat?

No I don't think heat will be a problem, I'm still dialing in my heater to keep it around 77ish....

About the lighting, I dont know if it will be ok. But is sure looks cool with the shimmering....

John

I had a forum user PM me about the price of the tank and unfortunately found out that the price had gone up again.

Well, apparently, MarineDepot has it as the deal of the day today so it's 600 with stand and free shipping. Just thought it'd let you guys know (and no, I don't work for them ;p)

Well, apparently, MarineDepot has it as the deal of the day today so it's 600 with stand and free shipping. Just thought it'd let you guys know (and no, I don't work for them ;p)

If anyone is a deal geek, you can get 5% back using Bing.com's cashback deal you can get this thing for $570 delivered (after the cash back). California buyers can use coupon code NOCALTAX to get no sales tax on it to still get that price.

Dustin C Mills
If anyone is a deal geek, you can get 5% back using Bing.com's cashback deal you can get this thing for $570 delivered (after the cash back). California buyers can use coupon code NOCALTAX to get no sales tax on it to still get that price.

Man, someone shoot me a pm if they do that deal again...

Dustin C Mills

Awesome! Thanks for the pics John. I appreciate you taking the time to post them. I'm still considering the JBJ LED ...that's just a lot of moola for me to throw down on a tank. How come you added the powerhead? Did you feel like the wavemaker wasn't enough flow?

How do you like the lights so far? Isn't suppose to have a timer to make it look like Morning-Night?

If you can could you get some pics of what that looks like.

Thanks for the update!

post-48856-1260759623_thumb.jpgl

I added the powerhead to increase the flow just because it seems to be popular mod. I don't use the wavemaker (I just run both pumps all the time).

The lights have 3 plugs Dusk/Dawn, Day and Night. No timer is included but I just stole the one off our Christmas lights :)

I don't see a big differance between Dusk and Night..........this pic is the night setting.

I know I promised to post pictures a while back, i'm working on fulfilling that :-) I'll have a page up in a few minutes with some goodies.

(edit) Okay, page is up, link in my sig :-)

Archived