Pod Your Reef

New JBJ 28g LED tank

Crease123

JBJ just released their 28g LED nanocube last Friday (Nov 20th). Anyone has (or knows someone who does) it? What are your thoughts/opinions on it?

Thinking of getting one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not available until late December. There may be a few demo units at some LFS, but none out to the public.

Are any of those demos among the original 200 do you know? I'd consider one of these if there were decent PAR numbers and color, lotta scratch to lay down sight unseen. I'll likely still get a BC29 or JBJ 28g PCquad and mod for LED though, prolly cost around the same when its all said and done, and I'd know what the color would be and know there'd be plenty PAR.

No idea. Don't even know for sure if the demos are out there. Nanotuners has them on order. We will give you a pretty good impression of what to expect once they come in.

No idea. Don't even know for sure if the demos are out there. Nanotuners has them on order. We will give you a pretty good impression of what to expect once they come in.

Looking forward to it, you nanotuners guys are the best. :bowdown: (now wheres my 3.6 retro kit? lol :wub: )

Hmm, I was just lookin around on marinedepot.com, and they are selling the JBJ 28g w/leds + stand, availability says "usually ships the next business day".

EDIT: the JBJ website says these tanks are NOW available...

Hmm, I was just lookin around on marinedepot.com, and they are selling the JBJ 28g w/leds + stand, availability says "usually ships the next business day".

EDIT: the JBJ website says these tanks are NOW available...

Yeah, it said it was available since Nov 20th (hence my original post).

Yeah, it said it was available since Nov 20th (hence my original post).

Guess they moved up the release date to coincide with the Christmas holiday a bit better or something.

Guess they moved up the release date to coincide with the Christmas holiday a bit better or something.

Yeah that would be my guess too. Wonder how many units of it did they release.

There's a demo at one of my LFS. Not very impressed with it along with the high $$$. You can get the HQI with a chiller for less.

Care to share with us why are you not impressed with it (cost aside, just strictly performance-speaking).

The lighting was not impressive. It was not very bright, and it made the colors of the coral dull and hazy. You could also see the different color LEDs (white/blue) kind of like a spot like effect towards the surface of the water. Basically, it gave it the look of bad PCs.

I am hoping to snag a cheap display model 28 HQI now that they will be pulling them down to put up the LED model, I got my BC8 from the display for 50% off.

The lighting was not impressive. It was not very bright, and it made the colors of the coral dull and hazy. You could also see the different color LEDs (white/blue) kind of like a spot like effect towards the surface of the water. Basically, it gave it the look of bad PCs.

Weird? ... I just did a retro Led on my NC 28 with the edison LEDS... No spot light effect at all... I wonder what kind led colors they were using.. I have a nice 20k look in my tank.. i'm lovin that Hailide shimmer without the heat.. I have had a couple tanks with hailide lighting.. The color of the corals in my LED Lighting are just as colorful.. IMO...

my lfs is going to get their hands on 6 of these :happydance:

I ordered one yesterday. The LFS wanted 750 for one without a stand. I then went and bought it online for 600 with a stand, free shipping, and no tax. Sometimes I wish the LFS prices would be more reasonable :-(

nanotuners.com

Unfortunately, we have asked to be pushed to the back of the line on our order of the 28LEDs. Tightening credit and tougher economic conditions makes us have to pick and choose our battles. We've decided to focus on new and upcoming products that we have more direct influence in manufacturing.

When the economic situation gets better, we will be able to bring these units aboard, but right now there is too much risk in bringing on inventory. This will be a great seller for the outfits like Marine Depot, DFS, and others.

We will continue to develop products to address AIOs as well as other new avenues that are coming down the pipe soon.

Let me know what you guys think. Mike - can you see if any local LFS have them, and give readers here a first hand comparison/impression compared to your Nanocustoms LED retro?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Chris

I am hoping to snag a cheap display model 28 HQI now that they will be pulling them down to put up the LED model, I got my BC8 from the display for 50% off.

JBJ is not going to discontinue the HQI over the LED.

JBJ is not going to discontinue the HQI over the LED.

He probably meant when the LFS takes down its HQI model and puts the LED model in its place, to show it off, the LFS may then sell that HQI tank for a deep discount (since its used).

I ordered one yesterday. The LFS wanted 750 for one without a stand. I then went and bought it online for 600 with a stand, free shipping, and no tax. Sometimes I wish the LFS prices would be more reasonable :-(

Would be very interested in what your opinions on the LED would be when you receive it.

Also, can you share where you get the system for 600?

Archived