Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well out of town for 2 days then home one evening then back out of town a day. No picoing for me for a few days. :angry:

Keep the pics coming. And whats this secret thing your doing?

Mr. Microscope

Check out this craziness! My Whammin' Watermelons are kaleidoscoping! I've heard rumors of this happening before, but never thought I'd actually see it. Frankly, I was ecstatic when the blue-black eyes became neon green, but this has me super stoked! If you look at the bottom of the image, these Whammin' Watermelons came from the same frag. I split them up about a year ago. It's amazing what slightly different lighting conditions will do to the same coral over time. You can keep your Rasta's. I got me some rainbow zoas! Woohoo!

WWsKaleidascoping20110217.jpg

Mr. Microscope
yes i rarely see the green centers in my watermelons. those look nice!

Thanks Newman. BTW, you'll be happy to know I cleaned the salt creep from between my back wall and black background. It looks nice and clean now. You'll see in my next FTS whenever I get around to posting it.

Mr. Microscope
Nice tank

What did you use to for your par38 bulb?

Thanks Klink67!

I had to dig into the archives to find this image. I got this light fixture at some office supply store. Right now I have it completely vertical with the bulb as high as it can get, and angled towards the tank (though it may not be there much longer ;) shhh, don't tell anyone).

IMG_0644a.jpg

Funktastic Wint
Thanks Klink67!

I had to dig into the archives to find this image. I got this light fixture at some office supply store. Right now I have it completely vertical with the bulb as high as it can get, and angled towards the tank (though it may not be there much longer ;) shhh, don't tell anyone).

IMG_0644a.jpg

utoh lighting upgrade??? :0 its already led idk how u can upgrade more?!

lol anyways does that top off bottle work ok?

Mr. Microscope

Lighting upgrade? What? Who said that? Where am I? I'm so confused. (hee hee ;) )

Yeah, the ATO does it's job well. I've been using it since day one. It lasts about three days in the summer and two days in the winter. However, I recently started using a cover on my tank. It really stops evap, but is ugly. So, I mostly just use it on the weekends and in the evening before I leave work.

I was asking about rabbit bottle topoffs the other day and got no responses now all of the sudden these pics start popping up Im building one today for sure. that pic above is the clearest one Ive seen and its reallys simple

have always wondered if the topoff bottle drains the same as its water level drops...meaning will it stop outputting at 1/4 volume or can it drain itself dry? that setup would keep my vase running nicely on long vacations plus Id dose the distilled water to give some ion for that week.

Mr. Microscope
I was asking about rabbit bottle topoffs the other day and got no responses now all of the sudden these pics start popping up Im building one today for sure. that pic above is the clearest one Ive seen and its reallys simple

have always wondered if the topoff bottle drains the same as its water level drops...meaning will it stop outputting at 1/4 volume or can it drain itself dry? that setup would keep my vase running nicely on long vacations plus Id dose the distilled water to give some ion for that week.

Hey Brandon,

Sorry, I missed that thread. Yeah, it will drain itself as the waterlevel drops. I love how it's no-moving-parts technology. I put a little Kent Alk buffer in mine. I used to dose Ca and Mg with it too, but I stopped when my SG kept raising. I'm not sure if it was related to that, but I stopped testing about that time. So, I stopped dosing too.

I removed them with a grinder, it grinded it at and angle to make the opening smooth so the ball would just drop out. if that helps

btw.. @mr.microscope

your tank is amazing!

Mr. Microscope
Do you guys remove the ball inside of the water feeder?

Yep, you gotta get them out of there. I used a pliers and nearly pinched myself several times because of how hard the metal tube is. They eventually came out.

btw.. @mr.microscope

your tank is amazing!

Thanks bluetreater! It's been a long process, but the rewards keep coming.

It looks like your tank has is on an IV. LOL

:lol: Haha! Totally!

...Actually, I recently saw someone here rig up an ATO with an IV stand. :lol:

The water bottle top off is simple and works. The only thing I read about them is, and correct me if Im wrong. Is you can actually get a transfer of water to the bottle. Meaning the two waters, salt in tank and fresh in bottle can mix and lower your SG.

The water bottle top off is simple and works. The only thing I read about them is, and correct me if Im wrong. Is you can actually get a transfer of water to the bottle. Meaning the two waters, salt in tank and fresh in bottle can mix and lower your SG.

That is incorrect.

That is incorrect.

Would like you to give more details.

I dont have a bottle to do that with but if you do fill a bowl with water and fill the water bottle with colored water. Check to see if the two bleed together. That would be a simple test.

Would like you to give more details.

I dont have a bottle to do that with but if you do fill a bowl with water and fill the water bottle with colored water. Check to see if the two bleed together. That would be a simple test.

That test would not be reliable if the water did bleed because the water would have the same specific gravity in that case. Here is what you want.

Archived