inTank Media Baskets

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope
maybe your camera can take accurate pics of the tank under these LEDs. I mean my camera can, why can't yours, its probably better than mine.

as for xenia, look for it pulsing at sundown and sunup and also whenever your tank lights come on and off during your day cycle. also as an experiment, you could turn your light off and look at it. the xenia should start pulsing after a little while. if not, then after some time turn them back on and it should pulse.

Cool! I hadn't thought about lighting and pusling. I thought it had mostly to do with current. Thanks!

As for camera, I use just my iPhone to take most of my images. The only exception is when I occationally use my old P&S, but it's only good for FTS's. It's a canon powershot from about 5 years ago. Believe it or not, the iPhone camera is better at close up images.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Brief but important update:

I've always had problems with my corals shrinking over time, and recently I thought that I had it pinned down to not feeding them. Everything was looking healthy, but I've started to notice a change in my Magicians in the last couple weeks.

I normally replace the chemi-pure 4 times per year (I always use a half unit), but I noticed the shrink started after my most recent replacement of chemi-pure at the beginning of the month. It's taken me the life of this aquarium to realize this since the change is so gradual. Today, I took it out my Chemi-Pure Elite.

I'm going to be monitoring things for the next month to see if it turns around. This hobby never ceases to confound me with the subtlety of changes that occur over time. I guess this is one of the greatest challenges of reefing...patient observation.

Have you recently fragged all your corals? I've noticed when fragging a single coral in my 3g it upsets the tank inhabitants for a few days. Also, I've been using the one unit chemi-pure elite for about 5 months with no ill effects. I probably will change it next month.

Mr. Microscope
Have you recently fragged all your corals? I've noticed when fragging a single coral in my 3g it upsets the tank inhabitants for a few days. Also, I've been using the one unit chemi-pure elite for about 5 months with no ill effects. I probably will change it next month.

Pay careful attention to see any changes in your corals during the first two to three weeks. Let me know if you see anything with a fresh bag (other than crystal-clear water of course).

i changed my chemi pure out about 3 weeks ago and my growth is booming and everything looks way happier. the last bag was 8-9 months old though. and i just upgraded my light.....so i guess im not helping

So far I have been stocked for 6 week and nothing but mechanical filtration. I know that is not long but everything is happy and my water quality is good. I really never have to feed the pico.

Mr Microscope, do you have to feed a lot? If not what is the need for the Chemi-pure?

you'll need to feed your pico when you get it full of different coral (some might want more food than other types) and if you want it to achieve its best.

Chemi-pure is optional. it just keeps water clean, and perhaps it also can take in some of the coral's toxins from slime and what not that otherwise can bother the other corals quite a bit.

Micro, when you change out your chemi pure, you water clears up. the corals are used to more murky water, and the sudden clear up will allow light to penetrate onto the corals much more intensely. its is likely you are seeing their reaction to more intense light each time you change the chemi pure bag.

My pico runs chemi pure all the time. at some points I wanted to experiment by taking it out for a month or two, but it never yielded good results for me - the corals just seemed not as happy and my green finger leather would just close up for a very long time, until i changed the chemipure. then it would open nicely again.

But again, Chemi pure like all chemical filtration is OPTIONAL imo.

hey mr micro and newman, (two birds with one stone, sweet). i have changed my photoperiod to the 4on/8off/4on/8off schedule. what kind of photoperiod did you run the fuge light on? was it on for both 8 hour off cycles? if it is listed in your threads sorry, im too lazy to check.

Mr. Microscope
Mr Microscope, do you have to feed a lot? If not what is the need for the Chemi-pure?

I feed about three times/week.

I started using Chemi-pure just after cycling because I read about a lot of people using it, but never really thought about possible negative effect.

Mr. Microscope
you'll need to feed your pico when you get it full of different coral (some might want more food than other types) and if you want it to achieve its best.

I'm using live phyto, coral frenzy, and cyclope-eze occasionally.

Chemi-pure is optional. it just keeps water clean, and perhaps it also can take in some of the coral's toxins from slime and what not that otherwise can bother the other corals quite a bit.

I'm getting rid of one of my leathers or this reason.

Micro, when you change out your chemi pure, you water clears up. the corals are used to more murky water, and the sudden clear up will allow light to penetrate onto the corals much more intensely. its is likely you are seeing their reaction to more intense light each time you change the chemi pure bag.

I read about that recently. The change is actually quite noticeable. So, you might be right about the light intensity.

My pico runs chemi pure all the time. at some points I wanted to experiment by taking it out for a month or two, but it never yielded good results for me - the corals just seemed not as happy and my green finger leather would just close up for a very long time, until i changed the chemipure. then it would open nicely again.

But again, Chemi pure like all chemical filtration is OPTIONAL imo.

Thanks for your input on this. I was wondering if anyone had experimented on this end. I'll let you know if it works for me. I think my Ked's Reds look bigger today, but it could just be my imagination. I should know in a few weeks. From the research I did, there seems to be a lot of people who think it's probably a better idea for FOWLR tanks. I also read that it might strip iodine from the water as well, which could add to zoa/paly decline.

I guess I am not sure if the negatives out weigh the benefits. You have also had good success and I do not necessarily think you should change a good thing. I just wonder in such a small environment if you extract too much from the water.

With fish and a lot of excess feeding or larger water environments I can see the benefit. I just worry that it would pull too much.

Mr. Microscope
I guess I am not sure if the negatives out weigh the benefits. You have also had good success and I do not necessarily think you should change a good thing. I just wonder in such a small environment if you extract too much from the water.

With fish and a lot of excess feeding or larger water environments I can see the benefit. I just worry that it would pull too much.

Agreed. In a pico with no fish, it might be overkill. Especially the half unit I use which is recommended for up to 20 gallons.

yes everyone's tanks are not the same. what may work for me for a while might not work for other setups. i mean for a while because idk if anything bad will happen because it might. I do dose a little amount of amino acid/vitamin thing that seachem makes every few months just to be safe that the tank is not deprived of something. I will not be surprised if your tank grows much faster if you do not run chemi pure, Micro, because of the possibility of what you just said - that it takes up too much of the beneficial stuff.

Mr. Microscope

Yeah. There are so many products out there and everyone seems to use them in different combinations. I've been wanting to start a vitamin C experiment. I've seen some before-and-after pics from a few people and it seems like there's some potential.

those look like their old shells? new ones look nice!

my blue leg spent quite a few months in his original cerith shell before finally changing to a bigger one despite the bigger ones' availability.

Mr. Microscope
those look like their old shells? new ones look nice!

my blue leg spent quite a few months in his original cerith shell before finally changing to a bigger one despite the bigger ones' availability.

I'll put some of them in the tank for them tomorrow. It's fun to watch them inspect shells.

Can you do a FTS with full lighting? Everything on?

It's hard to see a lot of details in your front page FTS and I think I may <3 your tank :D

Alternatively you could discuss how the shade of lights you use has benefited you if that is the full power lighting.

Mr. Microscope
Can you do a FTS with full lighting? Everything on?

It's hard to see a lot of details in your front page FTS and I think I may <3 your tank :D

Alternatively you could discuss how the shade of lights you use has benefited you if that is the full power lighting.

Hello alfiefive! I just blew a buckpuck driver on my setup. So, one of the color channels is out. I ordered a new one on Friday. I'll take another FTS after I've replaced it.

As far as color goes (I think that's what you mean by shade), it's amazing! I love it. I'm only running the lights at maybe 15% right now. Photo-acclimation takes a long time. I don't think I'd need to ever put them at full power in my 3 gallon. I could probably use this same setup on a much taller tank . In which case, I'd probably be able to increase the power.

On a different note, here's a new movie of my xenia. It's now in full pulse with the pumps off! Newman, you're right. They seem to pulse the most during the sundown phase in my lighting.

th_2a7e57de.jpg

yep i noticed the same, in my 10 gal they pulse for a while after the display lights have been turned off for the day. looks to be the same type i have :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived