SaltCritters.com

Mr. Microscope's JBJ Picotope

Mr. Microscope

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr.Microscope

I have spent the better half of like the last hour going through this entire thread. This is a really cool tank and congrats with all you have done

Sorry about the loss. I had something similar happen to my tank a few years ago and I gave up on the hobby and quit but I'm trying again and very excited

Your pico was really inspirational and I hope you keep updating us

Thanks

Mr. Microscope
Mr.Microscope

I have spent the better half of like the last hour going through this entire thread. This is a really cool tank and congrats with all you have done

Sorry about the loss. I had something similar happen to my tank a few years ago and I gave up on the hobby and quit but I'm trying again and very excited

Your pico was really inspirational and I hope you keep updating us

Thanks

Hello marc3lo19!

Thanks for your kind words and for taking time to go through my thread. Yeah, if you go through my index of Full Tank Shots, you'll see I've seen my fair share of pitfalls and losses, but it's been a great learning experience and hopefully sharing it will help out everyone. I'll admit, the first time I had a disaster, I was ready to hang it up too. When it happens, I just try to keep up with my water changes and press on. Recovery, I'm learning, is a very slow process.

BTW, It's awesome that you chose to attempt to make your own 6 gallon tall! The tall Fluval Chi tank has been in the back of my mind ever since I saw it. I've really been liking tall tanks lately. Good luck. I'm glad you're back in it!

Mr. Microscope

My new crab was hanging out on my purple leather all day yesterday. So, I took the opportunity to grab a few fun images.

Zim20101210D.jpg

I think its got blue eyes.

Zim20101210F.jpg

Here's a fun overhead shot.

FTS_20101210Top.jpg

King of the mountain!

FTS_20101210.jpg

A few shots of the continuing recovery:

palyupdate20101210.jpg

Toadstool20101210.jpg

I started feeding my tank cyclope-eze and phytoplankton. Hopefully the corals will react well. My goal is to have plump healthy corals in a few months.

Mr. Microscope

Bingo! Thanks!

I think it's this one based on eye color and leg length and thickness. I just wish it had a more specific nomenclature like most of the others on this page instead of a generic term for hermit crab. From the page:

Clibanarius%20sp2.jpeg

Clibanarius sp

I'm going to go out on a limb and just be the one who gives it it's official sub name, "Sinatrae" after old blue eyes. Hence, "Clibanarius Sinatrae."

:)

Mr. Microscope
this whole time I've been thinking that the purple thing up on top was a big purple shroom ...

:) I think it a cabbage leather of some sort, but I could be wrong. I'm not really familiar with all the leathers out there. I've actually been thinking about mushrooms lately. I'm guessing they'd do better in my tank now that I have lower current and less intense lighting.

yes they would if your tank is as you describe. rhodactis are pretty hardy ;)

yes it does look like some sort of cabbage leather or something. odd looking :P

Mr. Microscope
+1 on the cyclops my tank loves em

Cool. How do you feed? I've been trying to spot feed my palys, but they don't really close up on them. I've read that just having it in the water disseminates enough nutrients.

Cool. How do you feed? I've been trying to spot feed my palys, but they don't really close up on them. I've read that just having it in the water disseminates enough nutrients.

i turn off the pump, spot feed a few rics, blastos, and the panda goby, all with a turkey baster (wish i had pipette). then with the remaining slurry (half a cube mixed with 2-3 basters of tank water in a sterile glass), i baster blast around the entire tank. i used to let it sit for however long it took me to make seawater, now i let it sit for 2-2.5 hrs. i lengthened the sit time for the panda goby, mine only eats whatever is in front of its' face. i then baster blast the entire tank scape and the top of the sand. remove about 30-35% of the water volume and replace with new seawater, and new filter floss. ive been doing this since the tank was about 4 months old. i use just plain old cyclops, i think something with more protein like cyclops-eze or another name brand type would do better. the cheap stuff seems to do fine for me though. i have been thinking about the phytoplankton thing. there is a shop by me that specializes in phytoplankton, and macros. let me know how the phyto works out!

Mr. Microscope
Frag plugs kill me inside.

Agreed 1000%. Working on that.

i turn off the pump, spot feed a few rics, blastos, and the panda goby, all with a turkey baster (wish i had pipette). then with the remaining slurry (half a cube mixed with 2-3 basters of tank water in a sterile glass), i baster blast around the entire tank. i used to let it sit for however long it took me to make seawater, now i let it sit for 2-2.5 hrs. i lengthened the sit time for the panda goby, mine only eats whatever is in front of its' face. i then baster blast the entire tank scape and the top of the sand. remove about 30-35% of the water volume and replace with new seawater, and new filter floss. ive been doing this since the tank was about 4 months old. i use just plain old cyclops, i think something with more protein like cyclops-eze or another name brand type would do better. the cheap stuff seems to do fine for me though. i have been thinking about the phytoplankton thing. there is a shop by me that specializes in phytoplankton, and macros. let me know how the phyto works out!

Cool. The phyto is good for softies (aside from z's and p's) and pods. How much cyclops do you feed? I've been only taking off a tiny sliver of frozen stuff with a razor blade. Is that too little. I'm just afraid of adding to much and causing another cycle.

i use about half of one of the little cubes that come in the package. i think that i can get away with a little more due to the insanely large cleanup crew i have acquired. if the system's cuc isnt that large imo, 1/4-1/3 of a cube would prob be ok. to be honest i dont test my params anymore so i have no idea what is going on chemistry wise. i do have a lot of xenia and chaeto so excess nutrients dont really bother me. i am a little suspect of my calc levels though my sps growth has slowed a little.. hope this helps

Mr. Microscope
i use about half of one of the little cubes that come in the package. i think that i can get away with a little more due to the insanely large cleanup crew i have acquired. if the system's cuc isnt that large imo, 1/4-1/3 of a cube would prob be ok. to be honest i dont test my params anymore so i have no idea what is going on chemistry wise. i do have a lot of xenia and chaeto so excess nutrients dont really bother me. i am a little suspect of my calc levels though my sps growth has slowed a little.. hope this helps

How large are the cubes? Dimensions?

about 1cm by 1cm cubes, they come in a little mini ice cube tray looking thing. i would say a chunk about half the size of the tip of your pinky would suffice(sorry for the scientific technical jargon....ha). i do have a lot of critters to feed in this tank though. i have also noticed that other than the rics and blastos, the other corals usually just wait until the suspended food settles down on them to eat it, especially my zoas. i think that doing the water change after feeding is pretty key.

i think that doing the water change after feeding is pretty key.

This, I always do a 90% change after the day that I feed. I feed roughly a teaspoon full of powdered zooplankton to my pico. one day a week. animals love it. but the point was the good old water change to clean it all out.

Mr. Microscope
This, I always do a 90% change after the day that I feed. I feed roughly a teaspoon full of powdered zooplankton to my pico. one day a week. animals love it. but the point was the good old water change to clean it all out.

Wow! Seems like a lot of food, but that's a big water change too. Do your corals freak out during the big change? They look pretty healthy.

Archived