Coral Vue Hydros

Worst purchase, biggest regrets?

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello all,

I thought it might be fun to share some horror stories about your most regretable purchases, impulse or otherwise. Hopefully we'll all learn some valuable lessons by reading about them instead of experiencing them.

Here's my embarrassments.

Livestock: I bought a green goniopora (under LFS advice :angry: ) as my first coral thinking it was some sort of cool zoa colony. I realized it about five minutes after i got it into my tank and did the Picard face-palm. Luckily, I was able to trade it to a more experienced reefer within a week.

Equipment: Coralife digital thermometer. What a piece of crap! It never had the same temp no matter how many time I pushed the read button. I tested it against our lab thermometers and it was off by as much as 4.5 degrees. In the mean time, I raised my heater up to 83. I ditched that thing in about three days. At least it wasn't an expensive purchase.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a 33G long from glasscages. Worst waste of 370$ ever.

Livestock wise, my worst purchase was nassarius snails. They headed up a massacre. They ate 3 of my brand new feather dusters, and two emerald crabs, and then started to go after my sleeping ocellaris clowns, but i removed every single one of them in time before they got to my fish. I smashed all 6 of them with a hammer. It was absolutely disgusting to watch them tear apart my feather dusters and my crabs. Just disgusting. I ####ing hate those snails. I would kill them a thousand times if i had to.

Countless rose anemones, every one of them died. I just couldn't understand I needed to stop buying them.

I believe my tank is cursed. I should've been able to keep them under PC, but I don't know how every single one died since they're the hardiest nem and fairly easy to keep. :(

54 Gallon bowfront corner tank that is now in a much better home.

Thanks Paul! Lol..

Blue Damsel...worst fish ever. Finally fed it to my nem when I tore down my Nanocube....

my f*cking maxi mini nem that has now eaten a yasha goby and a hosting sexy shrimp. and it's stuck waaaay down in my lowest piece of rock. it's not going anywhere. i've tried.

Livestock wise, my worst purchase was nassarius snails. They headed up a massacre. They ate 3 of my brand new feather dusters, and two emerald crabs, and then started to go after my sleeping ocellaris clowns, but i removed every single one of them in time before they got to my fish. I smashed all 6 of them with a hammer. It was absolutely disgusting to watch them tear apart my feather dusters and my crabs. Just disgusting. I ####ing hate those snails. I would kill them a thousand times if i had to.

bro, wtf mutant nass snails did you have? mine stay buried in the sand and come out like zombies when i feed the tank. they don't mess with anything.

bro, wtf mutant nass snails did you have? mine stay buried in the sand and come out like zombies when i feed the tank. they don't mess with anything.

I don't even know dude but all i can say is that it was pure horror watching them wreak havoc. That's why i killed them. Every... single.. one. :)

Nassarius vibex is a good nass, some species are predatory.

Countless rose anemones, every one of them died. I just couldn't understand I needed to stop buying them.

I believe my tank is cursed. I should've been able to keep them under PC, but I don't know how every single one died since they're the hardiest nem and fairly easy to keep. :(

If your talking RBTA then PC is not enough light.

my f*cking maxi mini nem that has now eaten a yasha goby and a hosting sexy shrimp. and it's stuck waaaay down in my lowest piece of rock. it's not going anywhere. i've tried.

Aiptasia-X :D ?

Maybe whoever sold you them lied or maybe your stuff was already on it's way out. I've never had a problem with mine.

They were vibex sold from bluezooaquatics. So i doubt they were a different species. But ####... we'll never really know for sure.

thats what she said

Good one. Not.

I don't even know dude but all i can say is that it was pure horror watching them wreak havoc. That's why i killed them. Every... single.. one. :)

clearly the best option in that scenario.

on LFS advice when i had just started out that "it will probably be fine -- we do it all the time", euphyllid with sarcophyton in 8g biocube with no skimmer.

hammer31.jpg

vs.

fiji316.jpg

RIP

clearly the best option in that scenario.

Rofl.. yeah i guess. Some people i shared that info with on a different site got all animal rights activist righteous on me and i said stfu.. it wasn't your livestock they just pillaged.

Archived