Coral Vue Hydros

Worst purchase, biggest regrets?

Mr. Microscope

Where to begin? Chronologically.

Had no interest in keeping fish, living for my fourth year in Japan. Wonderful French girlfriend goes to Japanese arcade, where they have claw machines that catch goldfish (I'm not kidding). She brings home two of said goldfish in a 'tank' about the size of a tupperware container suitable for half a microwave burrito.

A few days of neglect later, one fish dies. Cue guilt and spending spree. See also: internet information blitzkreig. The other fish is still alive and about 6 times larger than its original size, having spawned a whole new army of mutant claw-catcher goldfish.

Or mistake the second; Green-spotted Pufferfish. Cutest species on planet. Fortunately wise Japanese LFS guy knows they are brackish fish and at least gives some clue as to care. No problems. However, it is not easy to ship fish cross-border, so on return to US have to return fish to store. Much crying from girlfriend.

Number three: decide to set up new tank in US. Marineland Eclipse 2 hood / Seaclear 30g tank and plastic fittings purchased. Soon discover filtration is all wrong and fresh not = salt principles. Redesign tank as FOWLR. Leading to...

Number four: Live rock. Fishkeeping yearly budget balloons from <$300/year to $2500/year give or take as saltwater itch (not ich) grows. Lighting, skimmers, rock, livestock...

Mistake the fifth: Setting up new tank on student budget. Original conception: $1000 budget. Current reality: $1500 and growing.

And finally number 6: Deciding to order 45lbs of live rock from LAquaria in an effort to keep diversity in the tank after the breakin period. So much die-off that ammonia became uncontrollably high. At one point changed 90% of the water, still tested at 8ppm (max measurable) on kit. Immediately changed another 90%. Tested at 8ppm. Mixed water 1:3 with water from 0 ammonia tank. Tested at 4ppm. Needless to say other than the coralline that seems to be returning and one Mad Max sponge, should have bought dead base rock...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean Petco?

Nope. The fish came from the LFS (sorry that wasn't clear in my rambling post), but the tank and all the equipment came from Petsmart. The guy there had a personal saltwater tank and considered himself an expert.

First was a large carpet anemone, within the first week, it ate almost everything in my 55g, fish,shrimp, anything that got close was food. Then it moved up the back wall of the tank and covered my overflow. Good thing the tank was in the basement, I had about 15 gallons of slatwater all over the place.

The next was my first 125g mixed reef. My LFS sold me a stingray. It was really cool for about a month. I woke up on Saturday, it was dead, by noon, everything else in the tank was dead.

This may sound weird but my biggest regret is ;

my 72 Gallon Bowfront....

Its just that Im going to college in the fall of 2012 and the college im goign to is out of state :/ it was a birthday gift and I cant return it lol so im planning on setting it up and making it a softie tank so that way itll be easy for my ma to take care of...I wanted a Biocube 14 to go with my Biocube 8 cause the college im going to has a 30 gallon tank limit so i coulda brought both tanks..

Ohh well Its going to be setup by june so im kinda still happy/excited bout it :D

my biggest regret is starting this hobby. then finding out 1 month later that am going to be moving too japan for the next three years. but hopefully am able to start a tank if my aprtment allows it. ill be in june.

Biggest regret?

In my young and foolish years of reefing i bought a juvenile snowflake moray for my 15g.....

Completely underestimating him he killed my Tiger pistol shrimp. :(

Bloody thing went straight back to the LFS the day after.

Archived