Coral Vue Hydros

Worst purchase, biggest regrets?

Mr. Microscope

my f*cking maxi mini nem that has now eaten a yasha goby and a hosting sexy shrimp. and it's stuck waaaay down in my lowest piece of rock. it's not going anywhere. i've tried.

I really want some of those so bad! I had to throw cold water on those urges as long as I held out hope of getting candy basslets

bro, wtf mutant nass snails did you have? mine stay buried in the sand and come out like zombies when i feed the tank. they don't mess with anything.

I chronicled similar things with my tongan nassarius.

I'll have to get pictures of the sexy shrimp later. Speaking of them, I noticed predatory behavior from one of nassarius snails. It's a Tongan and definitely not a welk. Several hours after I'd introduced the sexy shrimp to the tank, I had one sitting about 2 inches above the sand on the glass. A nassarius came sniffing around for him. He was waving his nose back and forth like a blind man with a walking cane. The sexy shrimp hopped away when the snout came too close, the nassarius went up the glass and over towards the sexy shrimp. The shrimp hopped onto the sand and the nassarius still went after him. The sexy shrimp went over to the overflow and the nassarius still chased him. The nassarius wasn't moving super fast, but it was obvious what was happening. Finally, the sexy shrimp jumped onto the nassarius's back. The nassarius then stopped and was trying to reach the sexy shrimp with his snout while the shrimp was on his shell. He finally gave up and dug himself into the sand.

When I introduced the cleaner shrimp the next day. What I believe to be the same Nassarius came alive and headed around that side of the tank before burying himself in the sand below the shrimp. I'm not liking this behavior at all. There are 5 nassarius in the tank and I think one may be rogue. With all of the sexy shrimp drama, there was another nassarius buried right there in the sand that didn't care at all about the sexy shrimp. hmmm...

and...

I am certain my Nassarius are exhibiting predatory behavior. As soon as I added the crabs, the nassarius surfaced. After I took a picture of the molted crab, I noticed a few minutes later that he'd dropped a claw and had scuttled onto the back wall. I noticed just in time to see a Nassarius surround the claw. My best guess as to this behavior may lie with the tank conditions they are kept in. The tank the nassarius came from constantly has an influx of inverts and fish. They have probably learned that weakened fish/inverts are viable as food even if they aren't dead. My previous nassarius never exhibited this behavior. I'm going to pull them and go with a new batch.

I didn't end up pulling them. They seemed to have unlearned their bad behavior. It may be because I'm feeding so heavily now because of the jawfish. I'm still sticking to my theory. I have seen dead fish in the tanks those nassarius came out of... I'm thinking they adapted to the food supply.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My worst purchase was definitely a Seaclone skimmer. That has got to the worst skimmer on the planet. My biggest regret is the way I got into this hobby..

About 9 years ago, I was watching Deuce Bigalow and became fascinated with the lion fish. Being young and dumb, I found a place called Flying Fish Express (now owned by Dr Foster Smith) and purchased two dwarf lion fish that would be delivered the next day. This wouldn't have been too horrible, except for the fact that I didn't have a tank setup lol. Since I used the search feature on the site and didn't bother to read the info about them, I had no clue they were saltwater fish. I went to the LFS and picked up a 12 gallon Eclipse system, some gravel, and a few tank ornaments. The fish arrived bright and early the next morning and my tank wasn't even filled up yet. I put the gravel in, filled it up with warm tap water, and dumped the fish into the tank. They started acting really strange so I started reading up on them. In a panic, I went back to the LFS, bought some salt mix, and dumped a few handfuls into the system without stirring it or anything. The poor fish actually survived for about a week and were even eating at one point. It's safe to say that I felt so bad about mishandling the poor fish, that I became obsessed with marine fish and have been super anal about my husbandry habits ever since. So yeah, that was a bit of a regret lol

My worst purchase was definitely a Seaclone skimmer. That has got to the worst skimmer on the planet. My biggest regret is the way I got into this hobby..

About 9 years ago, I was watching Deuce Bigalow and became fascinated with the lion fish. Being young and dumb, I found a place called Flying Fish Express (now owned by Dr Foster Smith) and purchased two dwarf lion fish that would be delivered the next day. This wouldn't have been too horrible, except for the fact that I didn't have a tank setup lol. Since I used the search feature on the site and didn't bother to read the info about them, I had no clue they were saltwater fish. I went to the LFS and picked up a 12 gallon Eclipse system, some gravel, and a few tank ornaments. The fish arrived bright and early the next morning and my tank wasn't even filled up yet. I put the gravel in, filled it up with warm tap water, and dumped the fish into the tank. They started acting really strange so I started reading up on them. In a panic, I went back to the LFS, bought some salt mix, and dumped a few handfuls into the system without stirring it or anything. The poor fish actually survived for about a week and were even eating at one point. It's safe to say that I felt so bad about mishandling the poor fish, that I became obsessed with marine fish and have been super anal about my husbandry habits ever since. So yeah, that was a bit of a regret lol

lol i knew when i was eight years old that lionfish were a marine species. you can even tell by looking at the tank in the movie it's saltwater. you didn't ever watch nature shows or have a science class when you were a kid? i wouldn't have admitted that lol.

i have never bought anything for my tank that i regret other than a hydor flo. although i had given my buddy some bad advice(4 years ago) and let him buy a juvi hector's goby and a baby sebae for his fairly new bc14. the hector of course died and the sebae i was able to give away to someone with a 75E that was actually well established. that was the only dumb thing i've really done.

lol i knew when i was eight years old that lionfish were a marine species. you can even tell by looking at the tank in the movie it's saltwater. you didn't ever watch nature shows or have a science class when you were a kid? i wouldn't have admitted that lol.

Haha. I had absolutely no concept of freshwater vs saltwater tanks or anything nature-related for that matter lol

XENIA!!!!

i stand corrected, yes i forgot about the pink xenia. nastiest crap ever. i overfed on that first tank, so it got a hold quick. when i was cutting it away after i realized it was an ugly nuisance, i realized how disgusting it smells as well. really foul and disgusting stuff.

Blue Damsel !!!! bad bad bad

equipment.. cheap powerhead off of petco.. :( i really got spanked setting up my tank wasted a lot of money.. now I do more research

I also had some funky Nass snails.. I finally tried a derasa clam and came back from class to see my two "Nass" snails munching on it -_- turned out to be whelks and they went after my cleaner and emerald too.. Those guys are little terrors- sold as super Tongan nass and they have cool ass shells too-_-

livestock - blue damsel (wish he would get eaten by something or go on a magic carpet ride)

equipment - koralia powerheads, should have went mp10 from the start. now they sit in their boxes.

squirrelieygrrrl

my biggest regret was getting my pistol shrimp.

when i was first starting out i had made a very erroneous assumption that all pistols were just fine to put into a nano.

turns out i got a rather agresssive specie of pistol, alpheus bidens. non-commensal critter killer. the death toll for cuc has to be in the hundreds, and the fish death toll has to be 7 or 8.

i keep thinking 'its a shrimp, how long can they live?' four years later and the bugger is still alive.....

livestock - blue damsel (wish he would get eaten by something or go on a magic carpet ride)

equipment - koralia powerheads, should have went mp10 from the start. now they sit in their boxes.

Whys that? My koralias work fine

are you sure all these nassarius snails with cool shells aren't babylonian snails? They have been popping up as a nassarius, but they are a predatory snail not at all related to nassarius. Nassarius usually get blamed when they are found eating dead animals, but if you saw them kill something, then you might want to checkout what species it really is.

Oh, for worst purchase, when I was starting out I spent $95 on a single stalk of xenia. Yep.

are you sure all these nassarius snails with cool shells aren't babylonian snails? They have been popping up as a nassarius, but they are a predatory snail not at all related to nassarius. Nassarius usually get blamed when they are found eating dead animals, but if you saw them kill something, then you might want to checkout what species it really is.

Oh, for worst purchase, when I was starting out I spent $95 on a single stalk of xenia. Yep.

Yep almost positive mine is a Babylonia snail.. They devoured my 2.5in clam (opened wide and flinched at shadows) within a day and a half after entry. Those things are terrors

Which Koralia's? I'll buy at least one of them from you :)

Yep almost positive mine is a Babylonia snail.. They devoured my 2.5in clam (opened wide and flinched at shadows) within a day and a half after entry. Those things are terrors

oh that sucks, they do look cool, but yeah what a mean disposition.

Nope. Mine were true Tongan nassarius snails. They looked nothing like the babylonians and everything like a Tongan Nassarius. And i did watch them eat my livestock. I saw the whole thing, and am forever scarred by it. It was like a ####in alien movie.. with their nasty ass tube-noses and whatever. God i hate snails.

yasha hasha goby.

carpet surfed the first night.

Yeah, I bought an orange spot goby and had egg crate over the top, next morning it was on the carpet.

Not learning my lesson, bought another one, and covered the egg crate with plexi to an almost perfect seal. Next morning, no sign of the goby. Found him behind the tank right around where the cords for my powerhead went through the cover.

Best purchase: SWC120. This skimmer is so consistent, and it pulls so much more crap than anything else I'd owned. I used to think my tank just had nothing to skim, but now I realize it was just subpar equipment.

I've made many mistakes in reefing. such as keeping that cute little yellowtail damsel that would kill everything. Buying a 12" Giant cup mushroom for my black clowns. For $130 for that matter. Buying a tiger pistol shrimp. It devistates my sand, dozes my coral frags, has kidnapped my watchman goby and I never see either of them anymore. Putting a mexican turbo snail in my HOB refugium was a big mistake as it plugged the return pipe. Lucky for me I made it home only a few seconds after this happened so I only had about 2 gallons pour onto the floor.

My greatest mistake was getting a nice RBTA for $80 and putting it in a tank with an uncovered powerhead on the HOB refugium. This was not the mistake, the mistake was knowing that a week later the guy was on the move in the night so I was anxious to get home from work to see how it turned out. Last time I saw it was about 5am that morning and it was kinda behind some rock at the top of my tank. It was also about 4 inches from the mouth of the powerhead. When I got home my tank was a thick cloud, my anemone could not be found, and the water smelled like death had happened. The powerhead pulls 250gph of water through 3 small holes about 1.5mm each in which the entire anemone got sucked through and blended up.

I could not go without a RBTA so I ordered a new one for $130 and a green one for $50 for my other tank from Diver's Den.

skimlessinseattle
Nope. Mine were true Tongan nassarius snails. They looked nothing like the babylonians and everything like a Tongan Nassarius. And i did watch them eat my livestock. I saw the whole thing, and am forever scarred by it. It was like a ####in alien movie.. with their nasty ass tube-noses and whatever. God i hate snails.

ROFL!

My worst livestock purchase was a pavona coral. My hammers reacted immediately when I put it in my mixed reef with huge sweepers, so I put it in my SPS tank where it proceeded to nuke my softball sized colony of green birdsnest, a colony of green pocillopora, and two purple pocillopora frags all overnight. I lost every fish and shrimp in that tank as well. Some people keep pavona's with success, but it was a nightmare for me.

Biggest regret was not getting a bigger tank, should have started with a 40gal. Everything else turned out great for my first salt tank, even the yellowtail damsel and my clowns get along great.

Xenia for me.

Best purchase: SWC120. This skimmer is so consistent, and it pulls so much more crap than anything else I'd owned. I used to think my tank just had nothing to skim, but now I realize it was just subpar equipment.

Yea they are good, I have the 150 model and its doing a nice job. Mine is built exactly like the octopus NWB 150 but uses stronger materials.

All My small zoa frags. They don't grow and just sit around. I would rather of just spent all that cash on a couple SPS or LPS colonies.

This too, but it takes years for them to grow out into reasonable colonies. Not all, but many. I feel your pain I have the same problem

Archived