Top Shelf Aquatics

40 Beeder Reef Plan

Anthonyjiz

No no no buddy, i ordered the CUC but i won't get it delivered till i get back from italy, the 14th, which by them it should be cycled.. See what im sayin?

Is someone topping off the water while you are gone?? Will be alot of evap with the MH.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anthony, nice aquascape. Looks better than mine did at 2 weeks... Haha..

Anyways, the coralife skimmer should do good. IMO it's a good idea to get a skimmer rated higher than your actual water volume. The # they give you is probably for a lightly stocked FOWLR. Once you start adding corals the water quality should be higher. For example a 40br SPS tank would be fine with a skimmer rated for over 100 gallon tanks.

Regarding the test kits, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I use Red Sea test kits (a few) and I like them quite a bit. Keep practicing? That's all I can say I guess.

Don't worry too much about testing your water parameters right now during the cycle. They'll be all over the place, it's nothing to be concerned about. In time the water will stabilize and you'll consistently read 0 ammonia and nitrite.

As for your CUC, I think you did pretty good. Eventually some of your turbos might die off (they mow down algae!) and I would replace them with maybe some astrea snails. They're good also. Wait a while and see how the CUC you ordered does and you can make adjustments later on.

Good luck!

Is someone topping off the water while you are gone?? Will be alot of evap with the MH.

Well the house will be empty those 4-5days.. I might only leave the cheato light on thats about it.. and try to cover the system with somekinda plastic or something so not to much evap.. plus my MH is a special one, it doesn't release heat downwards, there's holes in the top and the heat goes straight up into the air, never heating the tank! =D

Anthony, nice aquascape. Looks better than mine did at 2 weeks... Haha..

Anyways, the coralife skimmer should do good. IMO it's a good idea to get a skimmer rated higher than your actual water volume. The # they give you is probably for a lightly stocked FOWLR. Once you start adding corals the water quality should be higher. For example a 40br SPS tank would be fine with a skimmer rated for over 100 gallon tanks.

Regarding the test kits, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I use Red Sea test kits (a few) and I like them quite a bit. Keep practicing? That's all I can say I guess.

Don't worry too much about testing your water parameters right now during the cycle. They'll be all over the place, it's nothing to be concerned about. In time the water will stabilize and you'll consistently read 0 ammonia and nitrite.

As for your CUC, I think you did pretty good. Eventually some of your turbos might die off (they mow down algae!) and I would replace them with maybe some astrea snails. They're good also. Wait a while and see how the CUC you ordered does and you can make adjustments later on.

Good luck!

Thanks alot!

I see what you mean about the skimmers..

Yea, im getting the hang of the RedSea's..

Yea I stopped testing bc i was just wasting my tests..

The CUC I'm pretty happy with it only cost me like $28! The reason it was $40 was due to the fact that i got two ricordeas with the package as my first corals =D

I'm scared to take them off the plugs though, and if I feel like moving them incase i do, it would be much easier haha, thanks though!

You're right, if you want to move them around it would be best to leave them on the plugs.

I'll post better pics in a day or two when everything is FULLY opened, There's also some baby xenia on that big zoa rock but it's all crunched up right now..

Guys, just reaquascaped, check it out! (Sorry for the sideways pic!)

Great, i hurt my neck. Im gona sue!

Jk, laptops are good for turning the thing on its side.

Looking good, i love 40B's

Appreciated that nemmy! Do you guys think I should turn the skimmers on or leave them off and let the corals finish up the cycle? I think there's still some AMM and NITRITE left in the tank..

I would run the skimmer. Did you get your super skimmer 65? (yes it fits on the 40b, mine was hanging on the back for a few weeks, its in the sump now).

If anything it will keep down on FUTURE ammonia adding to the tank, some people say yes do it, some say dont do it. You may want to google it and read some of the discussions and decide how you feel on the subject though.

Yea i got the super coralife 65 and i got my internal 30g one also so i'm set with skimming.. i think im gonna wait till the cycles done though..

Actually jus started running the coralife 65, once I start stockin fish I'll run the internal

also, i think I'm gonna be able to have a good amount

of fish with this much skimming, don't you guys think?

Actually jus started running the coralife 65, once I start stockin fish I'll run the internal

also, i think I'm gonna be able to have a good amount

of fish with this much skimming, don't you guys think?

You still shouldnt overstock just because your skimming. I would keep to a standard amount of fish and the skimming will work wonders for the health of the tank.

I ran my 40b a long time with just 2 clowns.

The skimmer might pull stuff out or not at all. There is a break-in period on them too, but my ss65 after it broke in has been doing one heck of a job.

Yea it's still pulling white foam, so i'll let it run like that till i get back and see how everything goes.. Putting the lights on a timer from 10am-6pm...

• 2 weeks later...

So guys I'm alittle scared.. I added Dr. Tims when i left and i got back yesterday, checked params and they were pretty nuts.. Ammon was 1.0, nitrite was .1, nitrate was like 12.5-2.5, did a 5gal WC last night bc i was scared.. Here's the readings from today

amm 1.0 (i think)

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

I'm not understanding why my ammonia never wants to go down!? Is it because of those corals? The corals are looking amazing, just today the xenia looked alittle unhappy due to the unwanting water change I bet.. I just did another 5gal w/c a few hours ago.. Any ideas on what im doing wrong guys?!

I dont think so, when i used to test ammonia like at the begging of the cycle it showed low signs, so i believe the ammonia is testing correctly.. You guys think maybe i should bring a bottle of tank water to the LFS and ask them to run full tests?

Hey guys i just ran these tests on my house water, check em out, do you think water's the problem?

Tap water (naked) - 6.0ppm

Fridge filter water (cold, filtered) - 0.0ppm

Tap water (one drop of Declor (in about a tiny tiny cup(size of three tea spoons) so the strength must have been x1000)) - 0.0ppm.. I just added like 30drops to the tank also to see what happens..

So I just got back from Absolutely fish.. Turns out I think somehow my Ammonia Red Sea test is mest up.. It read like .25ppm when the guys at AF tested it twice for 0.. no amm no nitrites no nitrates and pH is 8.2.. Got me a Blood shrimp! Pics tomorrow guys!!

Also got some RO/DI Water! =D

Archived