Innovative Marine Aquariums

40 Beeder Reef Plan

Anthonyjiz

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well guys, look at this, http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=62

When you really think about it, the most I'm saving is maybe like $50 using the dry rock.. Will it still look like a real live rock in a month or so? How long is cycle period? 4-8weeks?

Not sure on the length of cycle for using a bunch of base rock, but 2 months shouuld be within reason. Check your local fish stores, see if they have bins of base rock that you can pick from instead of ordering online.

well "macro rock" is supposedly the best type of dry rock in the world, it soaks up in days and is the most porous out there, every one I know that has used it won't stop talking about it haha!

well "macro rock" is supposedly the best type of dry rock in the world, it soaks up in days and is the most porous out there, every one I know that has used it won't stop talking about it haha!

does look nice! its your decision :-p

was just trying to think of money saving ideas

Macro rocks get good feedback. I believe Caribsea also has a similar product.

For a cheaper alternative you can usually find "Tufa" rock for pretty cheap (I think I paid less than $2/lb) and it's good for your aquarium from what I understand. I'm not a chemist, but when Tufa is placed in the alkaline environment of a saltwater tank I believe it can be beneficial to maintaining a stable alkalinity and calcium level. It is quite porous as well.

I would order this: https://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=39

That's a 25 pound box of Fiji dry Marco Rocks. That will be a pretty good amount of rock for filling a 40 breeder. It's porous, so it's light. I've personally purchased that exact box before and would definitely recommend it. Then hand pick a few nice pieces of live from a LFS or a fellow reefer and seed it.

It won't LOOK completely live in a month or two, but it will be pretty good. In 6 months, you won't be able to tell the difference.

If you buy florida base rock its going to be more dense and not be as much rock per pound.

If you are looking for rock I would say give bulk reef supply a try. I picked up dry pukani rock from them (needed to be seeded) and it was very nice. It's dry rock so you get more rock per pound for your money (no water weight to add to the price). You can see what I got near the end of my 20H thread (page 4 or 5). It's very porous and it's shape is great for mounting frags.

I would order this: https://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=39

That's a 25 pound box of Fiji dry Marco Rocks. That will be a pretty good amount of rock for filling a 40 breeder. It's porous, so it's light. I've personally purchased that exact box before and would definitely recommend it. Then hand pick a few nice pieces of live from a LFS or a fellow reefer and seed it.

It won't LOOK completely live in a month or two, but it will be pretty good. In 6 months, you won't be able to tell the difference.

If you buy florida base rock its going to be more dense and not be as much rock per pound.

That's all you recommend? Only 25lbs? The 40/40 box also comes with sand too though, idk

Well it's either i get that key largo (bc it's the only thing in stock now) or I go and buy everything Live.. =/

Didn't notice that, I saw the line above "Qty In Stock". Sorry. I would go the Key Largo route then. Thats a good price for the amounts you're getting.

SpankythePyro

Badass as in good. I had a skimmer rated for 225gal running on it.

I fed flake, bloodworms, mysis, cyclops, and nori sheets

I have a $50 gift cert to Marco Rocks I am willing to let go for $30 paypal via personal transfer :)

I bought some before I go it though, this is what it one of my aquascapes looks like.

100B1080.jpg

100B1090.jpg

100B1100.jpg

100B1110.jpg

Badass as in good. I had a skimmer rated for 225gal running on it.

I fed flake, bloodworms, mysis, cyclops, and nori sheets

I have a $50 gift cert to Marco Rocks I am willing to let go for $30 paypal via personal transfer :)

I bought some before I go it though, this is what it one of my aquascapes looks like.

I'll probably take u up on that offer soon enough, send me a pm if you'd like..

Well guys, as we speak the UPS guy just dropped off my aquaticlife mini-protein skimmer 115.. up to 30gallons.. Won't help much, but somethings always better than nothing right?

Btw guys I JUST got off the phone wit petland and the 40breeder is only $89.99! and If I get the rock and sand for $100 that leaves me with about another $100 or so! I could either keep saving and then invest that all into livestock, or i could maybe make a AC110 refuge, considering idk how cheap normal fuges are!

Btw guys, is Bahamas Aragonite Sand white? I really wouldn't want yellow sand =p And spanky, how does you rock looks after a few weeks of being in the tank? Fully white, or alittle yellow like in the picture??

SpankythePyro

I haven't tried marco rock in my tank yet (still waiting on the replacement stand for my solana). I did get dry rock before from tampa bay saltwater and it was a little whiter but it eventually got coraline and soem brown alga on it (which eventually went away). You don't notice how dirty live rock is untill you seed dry rock.

For the extra $100 save it. I just put the chateo in my display, either jammed it in the back or let it float around. I had a baseball size and pruned it when it got softball size.

In the many tanks I have set up, the quality of water going into the tank was the biggest factor in it looking 'nice'. This is compounded many times over with a 'naturally' filtered tank. I don't think the initial fill is too critical, unless you have really bad water, but you do want to use good water for top off and water changes. Check around at grocery stores and what not for ro/di water, you don't need the ro/di from the pet store specifically; though the patronage helps them out.

I haven't tried marco rock in my tank yet (still waiting on the replacement stand for my solana). I did get dry rock before from tampa bay saltwater and it was a little whiter but it eventually got coraline and soem brown alga on it (which eventually went away). You don't notice how dirty live rock is untill you seed dry rock.

For the extra $100 save it. I just put the chateo in my display, either jammed it in the back or let it float around. I had a baseball size and pruned it when it got softball size.

Yeah I'm thinking off getting a really nice size chaeto and sticking it in the back so no one can see it ever haha..

In the many tanks I have set up, the quality of water going into the tank was the biggest factor in it looking 'nice'. This is compounded many times over with a 'naturally' filtered tank. I don't think the initial fill is too critical, unless you have really bad water, but you do want to use good water for top off and water changes. Check around at grocery stores and what not for ro/di water, you don't need the ro/di from the pet store specifically; though the patronage helps them out.

I'm probably just gonna go to Absolutely fish and just get like big JUGs of it for topoff/etc.. I have like 15gallon thingys that go in water dispensers from offices, know what im talking about?

Guys how do you suggest me to start the tank? I was thinking get about 40lbs LR and let it sit in the tank alone (no sand) wit just a powerhead on it, then after about 3 weeks, add in the sand, and in another week or two, do a 100% water change?

Archived