SaltCritters.com

40 Beeder Reef Plan

Anthonyjiz

Hrm, I hung the light up pretty high. It was probably about 12" above the tank, maybe I should have hung it higher? Didn't notice the budget part of the post, my bad.

How would you supplement with T5's as i was pondering that before I splurged on the second MH. The width of the Lumenarc (in my case) was the width of the tank, and I couldn't think of a clever way to mount the T5's without them blocking any of the MH light.

my LFS... and when i setup my 30 breeder, myself, i will be hanging the light 2-2.5 feet above the water.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Honestly guys budget is my biggest problem, i have just about $300 to get this all up to go.. The lighting idk honestly its a pendant in a hand shape if you look at your hand you will see my formation.. round at bottom and narrows up to a small tube..

I think we need to start a budget list.. I'll reply again in a few hours with a good idea list of the budget and what needs to be bought.. Sorry i'm really busy this minute, see ya guys in a few hours i have much to talk about!

Well I already have a Koralia 3, 50gal sand bag of tropic marin, and a 175watt 20k MH.. I really don't need to much more do i? Here's a budget list I created guys!

40 Breeder tank $60-70 i think from petland

Live rock (Hopefully I can find for $3 or less/lb) 50# for $150

Live sand (40-60lbs for $1-2 hopefully) $40-60

Heater - Aquarium Pharmaceuticals RENA SmartHeater 200 Watt $35.99

That's about $320 just to get started.. For the first month it's not like I'll need lighting or anything right? I got a mini skimmer already to help me a TINY bit so for that cycle period I can gather up alittle extra cash and off that If I have enough I'll start my live stock.. or invest in another MH maybe? I have to figure out what you guys think first.. Do you guys see something wrong here?

SpankythePyro

What about fish/corals? You're going to have a bare tank.

I would wait a save up a bit more, no rush and I understand the wanting to do everything as fast as possible.

Well for fish and corals I will go about on a separate list right now I really really need to get an estimate on STARTing the tank up just plain bare.. What do you guys think so far? I'm really open to any thoughts/ideas/ even rants.. thanks guys!

Well for fish and corals I will go about on a separate list right now I really really need to get an estimate on STARTing the tank up just plain bare.. What do you guys think so far? I'm really open to any thoughts/ideas/ even rants.. thanks guys!

I think you will be fine, just cycle the tank for a month and you will have time to save up money for fish and corals. Its not like you have to stock the tank 100% with expensive frags the first chance you get.

My 40B has 40lbs of live sand, and its like 1.5-2inches deep, just a heads up you might not want 60.

And you dont NEED lights during the cycle, but if there is nice hitch-hikers on the rock that require lights you will want to run them, even if its for a shortened time.

A lot of people make this hobby out to be more expensive at the start then it needs to be. You will probably have this tank for a good while, there is plenty of time for fish and corals.

Oh and my 40b was $109 at petco

Only 40lbs? That makes a BIG difference in the budget also, considering the tightness of it :P

Thanks for the heads up bro, but 109 at petco! That's insane! I know the 30breeder was about $50-60 at petland, I don't think 4inchs will almost double the price! I'll have to check tomorrow or sometime, thanks for the support though buddy!

Sounds to me like you're ready to go for a cycle. If you want my working list, check this out. I've found everything I want, but the only things i've managed to get so far were free. Think of this as worst case pre-stocking. Hopefully I come in way under.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tte...amp;output=html

Thanks for the heads up about petland. We've got one in downtown. There's another $50 in savings.

Only 40lbs? That makes a BIG difference in the budget also, considering the tightness of it :P

Thanks for the heads up bro, but 109 at petco! That's insane! I know the 30breeder was about $50-60 at petland, I don't think 4inchs will almost double the price! I'll have to check tomorrow or sometime, thanks for the support though buddy!

No petland here around me so i got screwed.

Heres 40lbs of black in my 40b, just to give you an idea

granted its not this thick all over the whole tank, due to flow pattern.

post-47775-1257308433_thumb.jpg

I paid 90 for my 30b and just bought a 40b today for 135 but came with stupid light and glass top.If i where you and not in a hurry i would order some marco rock or something.Your money will go a long way when buying dry rock if not in a rush anyways.

Sounds to me like you're ready to go for a cycle. If you want my working list, check this out. I've found everything I want, but the only things i've managed to get so far were free. Think of this as worst case pre-stocking. Hopefully I come in way under.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tte...amp;output=html

Thanks for the heads up about petland. We've got one in downtown. There's another $50 in savings.

DRAllison, check this out

Link

I know its not the tek fixture, but could save you money if you are interested

and this for your fuge

Link

Dont know how long these prices will last though.

Wow guys thanks a TON for all the help!

That spreadsheet wasn't a bad idea at all, you're going the sump/fuge route which is why you're really gonna be spending out the a$$ and even as a complete newb I can say you really don't have to do that unless you honestly want to and have all the money

I'm having really big thoughts on getting a 36" fixture of some sort or something.. Everyone's really getting mad at me over the 175w 20k MH.. I'm in love with the blueness it has so badly, but I haven't seen it hung over a real tank yet so Idk what to do yet and everyone is telling me to get a T5 or another fixture.. What are your thoughts guys?

Anthony, sounds like you're off on the right foot. $300 really isn't a lot to work with. There's another thread up now where a guy is asking if $2K is enough to set up a 39gal all-in-one tank. You've considered the necessary basics, but what about the little stuff like test kits? Also, the 40b costs about $100-$130 depending on where you get it. Seems as though the price recently went up on these bad boys.

If I were you I would get more dry rock and seed with a few choice live rocks. The cycle will take longer, but it'll save you a lot of $$. Also, I wouldn't bother with a skimmer for the time being. I went cheap and bought a cheap skimmer and I regret it. Save for a good skimmer to avoid wasting money. It will be an important piece of equipment in your tank. As for the chaeto, add it when you need it. You can chance starting your tank up with tap water. But I would try to find a source for filtered water eventually. I use a water refill station at the grocery store or at Wal-Mart. It's like $.29 per gallon.

*edit* I think you'll be fine with a 175W 20K MH... Who cares if there's shadow around the edges? Honestly that's what you want because not all corals will tolerate being directly under a MH. Is it a mogul base or DE? Typically the mogul fixtures (screw-in) have slightly better coverage. You could certainly add a T5 or PC as a supplement if you find that you want more light than the MH, but honestly I would test it first.

Here's my spreadsheet. I was WAY off..

aquastart1.gif

Good luck!

It has screw in bulbs so I'm guessing mogul, sorry im a noob, and personally, *I* love it so I really think I'm going to stick with it... As for the dry rock, I think i might get some from macro rock, but I feel like live rock is better because it can bring many corals for free, which would be really cool to me, what do you think? I know my budget is low but when I honestly think about the type of setup I really am going to do, which is very minimal and simple, I don't even consider the crazy prices some people say, like that 2k person, btw i read that thread, so yeah.. Give me any feedback on what you think, thanks for the heads up too ajmckay~!

Using all live rock isn't necessarily better. Here are some things to consider:

1) Live rock is more expensive (probably 2-3x more)

2) Live rock may, or may not have hitch hikers. Uncured mail order rock is most likely to have hitch hikers.

3) Not all hitch hikers are desirable. In addition to the random polyp you can get all sorts of crabs, worms, parasites, etc... So you get the good with the bad.

4) Dry rock will become live rock pretty quick.

Of course my intention in posting this isn't to make your mind up for you. Some people swear by only using the freshest uncured LR. Others won't touch the stuff and they'll start with 100% dry rock. It honestly depends on what you get. I used probably 2/3 dry rock and I hand picked 3 good pieces of well cured, coralline encrusted LR from a variety of stores to get a wide diversity of organisms.

I suppose my best feedback is to plan for the unexpected. You're definitely going to run into some unplanned expenses eventually, so plan them into your budget now. Don't cut corners with equipment purchases, but rock and livestock is definitely an area where you can work your budgeting skills. Instead of paying the $60 for 40lbs of "live sand" buy dry aragonite for 1/2 that. Seed it with a handful of sand from a friends tank or from the LFS (or just let the LR seed it) and you'll never know the difference in a month.

Using all live rock isn't necessarily better. Here are some things to consider:

1) Live rock is more expensive (probably 2-3x more)

2) Live rock may, or may not have hitch hikers. Uncured mail order rock is most likely to have hitch hikers.

3) Not all hitch hikers are desirable. In addition to the random polyp you can get all sorts of crabs, worms, parasites, etc... So you get the good with the bad.

4) Dry rock will become live rock pretty quick.

Instead of paying the $60 for 40lbs of "live sand" buy dry aragonite for 1/2 that. Seed it with a handful of sand from a friends tank or from the LFS (or just let the LR seed it) and you'll never know the difference in a month.

+100000

i agree totally with ajmckay here. If you really want to save money, and dont mind a longer cycle or stabilization of your tank go with non live sand, and base rock (non live rock).

Your sand will become live, and the base rock will become live. (as long as you get a few pounds of live rock to compliment the base rock). Also i agree with the get a scoop of the sand from the lfs or a friend, but as he said the live rock will seed the bacteria into the sand.

Also what ajmckay said, go with the light if you like it, try it out for awhile and if you end up not liking it use it to limp you along until you can afford a different fixture. No big deal, as long as YOU are happy with your tank thats all that matters.

I only posted those light fixtures for DRAllison, i wasnt trying to sway you into changing your lighting decision.

My 40b isnt hooked to a sump btw, if it makes you feel any better about your decisions. But then again i keep a low bioload.

DRAllison, check this out

Link

I know its not the tek fixture, but could save you money if you are interested

and this for your fuge

Link

Dont know how long these prices will last though.

Thanks! It's too bad I told myself I'm not spending any money on this thing other than the stand until January. I like the nova extreme series. We'll see what happens when it's time to spend cash. I might find what I want in the classifieds before then.

As for the sump, it's just something I really want to do for the long term health of the tank and I really want to keep some more interesting critters down the road. The spreadsheet is just there to help get you started.

I used probably 2/3 dry rock and I hand picked 3 good pieces of well cured, coralline encrusted LR from a variety of stores to get a wide diversity of organisms.

THIS! Do this! This is the third time I've mentioned it now, I promise it will save you money.

Your $320 still doesn't include a water source...are you really going to spend all of that money and risk it all on some tap water?

THIS! Do this! This is the third time I've mentioned it now, I promise it will save you money.

Your $320 still doesn't include a water source...are you really going to spend all of that money and risk it all on some tap water?

Some people have pristine tap water, or if your like me its so terrible it might give you cancer lol!

(wouldnt risk it unless you know for sure though)

But i agree, find out how much your going to need for good water, the 40b holds almost 45 gallons (less once you add rock and sand though) so your going to spend 20-50 bucks on ro/di or di water if you dont have a unit to make it yourself.

and misc stuff like test kits, hydrometer, thermometer.

i dont think i remember or asking you, is this your first salt water tank? if not you might have this stuff already.

pristine tap water is still tap water. There is stuff within it you cannot test for or is very difficult to test for.

thats why i said i wouldnt risk it unless you know for sure :P

SpankythePyro

Yea and I know some ppl are going to kill me for this but I've only done 1 Water change on my 50breeder when it was running for 4 months. I had a badass skimmer and overfed but I had 60lbs of live sand, chaeto, and 50lbs live rock as bio filtration as well.

edit: I also dosed bacteria as well for the first 2 months

It has screw in bulbs so I'm guessing mogul, sorry im a noob, and personally, *I* love it so I really think I'm going to stick with it... As for the dry rock, I think i might get some from macro rock, but I feel like live rock is better because it can bring many corals for free, which would be really cool to me, what do you think? I know my budget is low but when I honestly think about the type of setup I really am going to do, which is very minimal and simple, I don't even consider the crazy prices some people say, like that 2k person, btw i read that thread, so yeah.. Give me any feedback on what you think, thanks for the heads up too ajmckay~!

Can you give me a really good site for dry rock? please and thank you..

Yea and I know some ppl are going to kill me for this but I've only done 1 Water change on my 50breeder when it was running for 4 months. I had a badass skimmer and overfed but I had 60lbs of live sand, chaeto, and 50lbs live rock as bio filtration as well.

edit: I also dosed bacteria as well for the first 2 months

You mean badass as in good or bad?

What was your food source?

I Would be using about 40# dry/live rock depending on what i pick..

I Think I will also be getting like 40-50lbs of sand, either live or dry I'll have to see..

How much Cheato did you have?

Archived