Coral Vue Hydros

A rarity! Clam had baby in captivity

basser1

Let's see........ Was it where you told them to get their head out of their "posterior area"? :blush: I thought it was funny!! :lol:

But you know, you gotta be careful over there.... Could get you banned! :wacko:

Hahaha yeah! I felt bad after which is why I removed it. I don't care if they ban me - I am not active on that forum. I just have a membership so I can view photos and threads that other people link to from this forum :P.

I just realized I am actually capable of being a real prick on RC. I can't help it...

It would be par for the course there :P

I am still battling on RC to get some more information out of the poster. One of the Team RC members has posted as well. Nothing all that serious going down - just a whole lot of TJ haters lol. Nobody likes the fact that I am not willing to accept this "oh so obvious truth" without some more information and proof.

Awe well. All I want is to learn as much as I can about what he did that allowed such a killer event to go down with success (as minimal as one survivng offspring is).

Here's my angle. For sure millions of clams are spawned commercially every year. I'm not going to compare the process, but it would seem surprising to have happen in a tank, but it could happen.

Two odd things about it stand out though.

Since clams are broadcast spawners, I'd be more convinced if the clam was on the rock or something somewhere. Or if there were a bunch of them all over the tank.

Secondly, while oysters will settle on top of other oysters, and while I've only seen hundreds of clams in the wild (and that's really not very many to observe any oddities in behavior), I've never seen a clam other than as a solitary individual, or put another way, I've not seen them attached to each other like that. They burrow into rock with only their mantles sticking out and lead a solitary existence, though you will see groups within inches of each other quite often.

eh...would have to disagree there with some species at least. the way to farm clams in the water is to lay down lots of clam shells, they have much higher settlement numbers on their own shells for some reason or another. All the big clam mariculture operations do it, just laying down that "seed" will pretty much guarantee you some clams. Not the same species of course when they do it down here, but that is how they do it.

Hey glenn.... I saw your thread. Do you still have the clam, any updates, pics, etc.?

No i don't have it anymore. Unfortunately I stressed it beyond recovery a long time ago when trying to move it. The thing grew so fast that it outgrew my tank in about a year.

John I agree with you there, same as with oysters, the spat seem to prefer settling on the old shells, but with the Crocea clams, I've never seen two attached together in the wild. Don't know what the difference is, other than the substrates are different. Oysters and clams around here have a lot less solid substrate to settle on so they don't get buried, but in the places I've seen Crocea's they were always on solid ground, and usually bored in with just their mantles exposed.

yeah I don't know much about how it works, but that just seems to be how it works....at least for the clams they mariculture...no idea how his clam reproduces..I just don't think the guy is making it up.

I am the fence about it. It is something someone could very easily stage, and would be extremely rare for it to "accidentally" happen without him noticing the baby until it is near 1" in size.

I just want more info. Probably not going to happen any time soon cause they closed the thread down on RC.

Archived