Top Shelf Aquatics

A rarity! Clam had baby in captivity

basser1

Hey gang! Check this out!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1723196

There have been instances where folks have said there clams spawned in their tanks. But this guy has a pic of his deresa that actually produced a baby. And incredibly, it looks like the tank was not taken care of for quite some time while they were moving!! So while we're all concerned about pristine water conditions, maybe we need them to get a little dirty? ;)

Thought I'd post the pic here in case you can't see it from the link:

babyderesa.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It could be the crappy water conditions stressed the clam into spawning. That makes more sense than dirty water was soooo good for the clam it decided to spawn.

Actually clams like a bit of nitrate and phosphate in the water. They use fertilizer in clam farms to promote growth and spawning.

Sure they like a little but from the RC post it sounded like he hadn't changed the water or payed attention besides top off to the tank in 6 months. With trace minerals probably depleted and calcium and mag levels low I'd imagine the clams would be pretty stressed and spawning to hope their genes can escape the declining health of the local water.

I am skeptical.

There isn't enough proof documented to say definitively that this smaller clam is in fact the offspring of the larger clam. I wouldn't consider this to be "The first documented reproduction of a clam in an close system".

Although it is technically possible for a single spawning derasa to reproduce in a closed system, it is pretty far from probable. I think if someone is going to claim this sort of event has occurred, they better have some good evidence to prove their theory correct.

they breed clams all the time though don't they?

Not in small closed systems like aquariums! Most of the time they are pumping ocean water through their large vats. If you ever see pictures of clam breeding facilities overseas, they are pretty large scale and outdoors.

Not in small closed systems like aquariums! Most of the time they are pumping ocean water through their large vats. If you ever see pictures of clam breeding facilities overseas, they are pretty large scale and outdoors.

+1. i dont think it's very feasible that that baby clam just survived on the dirty water. baby clams need massive amounts off food for them to grow and im pretty sure that his tank would have supported the amount needed to rear the baby.

I am skeptical.

There isn't enough proof documented to say definitively that this smaller clam is in fact the offspring of the larger clam. I wouldn't consider this to be "The first documented reproduction of a clam in an close system".

Although it is technically possible for a single spawning derasa to reproduce in a closed system, it is pretty far from probable. I think if someone is going to claim this sort of event has occurred, they better have some good evidence to prove their theory correct.

just wanted to point out that he said in his RC post that he had "~8-10 inch clams" living in that aquarium. ;)

+1. i dont think it's very feasible that that baby clam just survived on the dirty water. baby clams need massive amounts off food for them to grow and im pretty sure that his tank would have supported the amount needed to rear the baby.

just wanted to point out that he said in his RC post that he had "~8-10 inch clams" living in that aquarium. ;)

I read that too. Regardless I felt it was a good idea to mention that these clams are actually capable of breeding on their own. More or less to say that just because he has two derasas, doesn't mean they created offspring using both of their genetic material. If you can imagine both clams releasing sperm and eggs into the water column, there is just as much of a chance (if the spawning was at all successful) that the young clam is a product of the genetic material from the same clam.

I read that too. Regardless I felt it was a good idea to mention that these clams are actually capable of breeding on their own. More or less to say that just because he has two derasas, doesn't mean they created offspring using both of their genetic material. If you can imagine both clams releasing sperm and eggs into the water column, there is just as much of a chance (if the spawning was at all successful) that the young clam is a product of the genetic material from the same clam.

OIC. well thats a good tidbit of info you provided. i for one did not know clams could self replicate. ;)

at my school we have been trying to spawn clams.... we have gotten them to the spawn sperm and eggs but we cant get the baby clams to live over 24 hours.. so we are still working on it hopefully for sucess soon!!!

at my school we have been trying to spawn clams.... we have gotten them to the spawn sperm and eggs but we cant get the baby clams to live over 24 hours.. so we are still working on it hopefully for sucess soon!!!

Good point to mention!

I do not doubt that the clams are able to successfully spawn and produce viable fertilized eggs it's a matter of the planktonic stages surviving in our tanks. We have a ridiculous amount of obstacles in our aquariums that would destroy small floating "baby clams" like power heads, skimmers, overflows, returns, fish, corals, etc.

Even when people are trying to breed clams in a university environment after tons of research, preparation, and special care, it still proves to be incredibly difficult.

That is why I am so skeptical.

Hey glenn.... I saw your thread. Do you still have the clam, any updates, pics, etc.?

I just realized I am actually capable of being a real prick on RC. I can't help it...

LOL!! TJ I just saw yor posts over "there"! Don't let 'em get to you! ;)

LOL!! TJ I just saw yor posts over "there"! Don't let 'em get to you! ;)

Did you see it before I edited my last line out? hahaha... Oh dear...

Did you see it before I edited my last line out? hahaha... Oh dear...

Let's see........ Was it where you told them to get their head out of their "posterior area"? :blush: I thought it was funny!! :lol:

But you know, you gotta be careful over there.... Could get you banned! :wacko:

Archived