Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calling all 5.5's!!!

onthefly

Thanks for the compliment on the LR OTF. I got it from Premium Aquatics. It is 7 lbs of their nano Marshall Rock. It came partially curred and the coraline has been just taking off. Any way the first snail was a cerith snail the LFS gave me one when I asked for a nas but oh well right. I added it at the same time as two dwarf blue leg hermits. I dont know if it made it through the day. I asked the LFS the best way to acclimate and they said float the bag and every 10 minutes add alittle of my tank water. I did this for 45 minutes as per their recomendation. Anyway the second was a Nas and I Added it about 1week later along with 2 trochus snails and another Nas. I acclimated in the same way. The other Nas and at least one of the trochus are still doing well 4 days later but I noticed an empty shell this morning. I dont know about the other trochus he is hiding in a crevice in the LR. Any way thats the story Parameters seem to be good. Could it be a bristle worm or the crabs? I have a least one of these bristle worms. Purpleish pink front and whitish back. I dont know thanks.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did the smell test on the trochus snail that was hidden in the crevise and P U. There was some flesh still inside but it did not react when it was moved. Not to mention the smell. 3 dollars for another trochus is better than polluting my water... now I am done to 1 nas and 1 trochus but they seem to still be doing fine. I think on tuesday I am going to get 3 more nas and a nother trochus and see how that goes... any suggestions or comments are always welcome:)

I've been eyeing PA.com LR for some time know! I think you finally sealed the deal!

As for the snails....you might just hold off a while. Let the tank mello out. What is your SG? IME, snails are very touchy when it come to SG. Mine is the same as my LFS, so I just match temp and "plop", but if you SG is different, you could be shocking them. Do you have some algae grwoing in the tank (film or hair)....maybe it hasn't matured enough?

The SG is 1.023-1.024 right in between. About the time I added the snails I had a bit of an issue with the water I mixed up to do water changes with. My SG went down to 1.022. I have since gradually brought it back up. I added the snails when the SG was between 1.022and 1.023. Maybe that is it. I do have algea in me tank mostly hair. the crabs have done a nice job of keeping it under control on the rocks but the is still some and some on the glass. In your opinion how long should I wait? Everything is stable now for about a week now again. Thanks for the help.

About PA. I called and talked to a guy named Jason. Service was great and He hand picked rock to my specs. I got 7lbs of Marshall LR and 6 lbs of Marshall LS for $43 including shipping. The price was right and the rock was great.

Good call on the rock!

As for the snails.....I'd let thing stabilize. You got some herms and they'll take care of thing for now.

PA is where I got my live rock too. You can't really tell in the picture, but it is awesome rock! Only downside to it is that their Marshall Island LR doesn't come with many hitchhikers (they even warn you about this on their website). I got one tiny little feather duster, a small hermit crab (don't know what kind), and some worms. I picked out my own at the store, so I can't say much about their catering to specific requests, but I don't think they had a bad piece there.

I am suprised at how different handzoff's rock is from mine, but it is probably because I got 2 large pieces rather than several small pieces.

It is surprising how the various LR's can have such different life. I think I'm going to go with some of the Kaelini and premium fiji....all uncured!

Wow, those are some awsome shots there! I finally got some things for my own 5.5 gallon. Had the tank, got a Cascade 80 power filter, magfloat, blue background (I call myself the king of tapping on backgrounds, you can't tell the difference between it and a painted aquarium :D ), and a 25-gallon bag of Oceanic salt mix. Next week I am going to get eather a mini or micro jet powerhead, thermometer, live sand, and live rock.

Right now I am using a 36W pc for the light, but it sticks out on both sides, looks real goofy. I plan on keeping sps frags and a clam. I was thinking about eather a 70W metal halide or the 95W powerquad.

Did I do something, cause it seems like everyone stopped responding when I showed up, lol! Well, the tank is filled with water, pulled a few pieces of live rock from my 29, and got some live sand from the lfs. I also tossed a couple small snails and a single hermit from the 29 in for good measure. I also found a mushroom hiding in the 29 that I didn't know I had, so it is in there too.

As for lighting, I am going to use the 96W quad fixture with the mounting legs. I like the fact that it will hang over the sides by a couple of inches. That just makes sure that the entire aquarium is covered by the bulb :D.

Hopfully by this weekend I will have a few pictures taken, my aunt is comming over this thursday, and she is the one with the digital camera, lol!

Originally posted by [inuYasha]

I plan on keeping sps frags and a clam.  

Based on this alone, don't get a powerquad. Go halide. It will cost the same, just use ebay to find your ballast (for example, they had some cheapo magnetic ballasts for like 20 bucks shipped a short while ago. It may not be efficient compared to electronic ballasts, but it's still better than a powerquad.)

Just my opinion.

You'll have better growth with a Halide, and it will cost about the same (maybe a little more). ALthough, keeping SPS and Clams in a 5.5 under 96w of light is very doable.

Since your already running 1x36, why not just add another 36 watter. The ballast on those 88 dollar fixtures are pretty lame, hence, you get what you pay for... I have 2x36 retro'd ontop of my 5.5, and its decent.

I really don't wanna spend $75 bucks on 36W when I can spend $88 bucks on 96W. The $88 is just a sale. It was origonally like $135 or something like that.

Heres some shots of new growth,

I've got these green buggers popping up. Kinda worried about these guys since they grow large.

4463greenbuggers-med.jpg

I picked up a large rock full of these guys from Jeff's exotic fish for my other system. I swear, the rock is like bigger than my fist and only 20 bucks (it looks freaking huge in my other 5.5). Its just chopped full of em, so I fragged some off of it and threw them in my tank. I really like the coloration on them.

4463new_zoa-med.jpg

My only sps. And its growing nicely from being basically non-existent. This piece really amazes me. I bought it dead as base rock with shrooms mounted on it. Then in my previous 2.5 it started coming to life under a 27 watt 6500k pc. It was growing really well until someone added tap water w/chlorine and bombed the tank. Almost everything, including this died. That was a few months ago. Now it's coming back to life, again, rapidly. Must be a very hard coral, especially since its doing so well under PCs. I've even thought about fragging some of it when it grows more.

4463sps.jpg

Looks nice Von. I visit this threa a lot but never post because I don't have a 5.5. The tanks all look good.

Von, are those not porites?

Thanks jmt. I honestly haven't a clue, and honestly haven't really researched much about this sps. Someone here told me that it is a type of encrusting acropora though when I posted it in the ID part of this web thing. All I know is that it's doing well, so I'm pretty stoked. I'm thinking of fragging a nug off of it, and throw it in the other system (a 5.5 too) under a 70 watt halide and see if it grows a little faster than it already is.

• 5 years later...

Archived