Pod Your Reef

Calling all 5.5's!!!

onthefly

the corals took about 5 days to show any signs of stress, then it was all at once. all my digis, and half my zoos. The coralline is bleaching a little on the back, but not much.

The digis are getting better, the green is pushing small polyps out now, as is the blue, I lost 1 piece of orange. and the purple and orange are lookn the best.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bird!

Well, I'm glad I moved my Birdsnest and M. cap down to the sand. My birdsnest had turned very pale, almost white, on the back side (away from the PC lighting), but it still has polyps, so it wasn't RTN. The M. cap looked fine except for a small dead spot near its base, probably was there the whole time I just did notice. The Acros are all coloring up nicely, except for the valida "tricolor", but it had totally lost all of its color..time will tell!.

Zoo's and shrooms all look good, but mine are all on or near the sand.

Coralline on my back wall has all but died...bleached totally white! Hope my rock doesn't do the same, I've got some wicked colors!

Tomarrow I'll post some new pics!

Thanks Adin! I stare at the tank more than ever, I could imagine having Birdy's SCWD........I'd lose track of days!

Trying to take advantage of my Flu-induced stuper Sky....?

I got an extra big stocking this year hoping that Santa brings it!

Sweet, sweet, and sweet to all those posts. Yeah, the scwd switches about every 15 seconds, so If I count, i can keep track of time :

Speaking of frag tank. i am buying a 5oL for a rock curing tank soon. gotta get the FOWLR running, then turn it into a hospital tank for her. Then maybe a frag tank for my big boy in the plans..... hehe

Yup!

I've got "single stregth" glass from HD. I know the acrylic stuff tote a 99% block of UV-A and B, but all the threads I read over on RC said glass is fine.....everyone runs MH over there! Something Kennerd said in another thread about coral coloring being a mechanism against UV, like melanin in our skin.........I dunno! Everyone on RC runs glass and acrylic probably will warp and discolor. Haven't seen any adverse effects yet.

Interesting. So im assuming that the glass covers the whole tank right?

So did you just gut a regent fixture? I really like have you have yours cleanly installed in the inside of your canopy, I wanna do the same now :) Can I just gut the regent and trim the reflector?

I didn't use the regent fixture.......I didn't like the one HD had. It looked like regent changed to fixture some. So, I check Hellolights and bought their 6.25" reflector and the spring loaded DE clips. I spent $20, instead of $9.95 for the regent. Plus my hood is only 3.5" high, so the Regent wouldn't fit. I REALLY like the HL reflector! fits perfect!!

As for the glass, it cover about 85% of the top. It is open about an 1" in the back for the heater and HOB overflow. I calculated the angle from the MH to were the glass ends, and it basically means that the top 1/4" of the back wall is unprotected.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I might try and use the guts out of the regent, I think it would fit with the reflector trimmed heavily.

I wonder if there would be someway, to shield the bulb without putting glass over the top of the tank...like JB weld a piec of glass to the reflector.

:scratches ching:

BTW- Update your sig!

Yeehaa....I forgot about my sig!!!!

FWIW, I think you could def remove the reflector and clip and DYI it into your hood. As for the shield, all you need is something to keep salt spray away.........maybe a DYI acrylic box? I don't think JBweld sticks to glass so that might not work!

Do either of you have a pic of you tank with just the 70 watt 10kk bulb on? I really don't want to have to make a hood to add actinic. It would be so much easier just to mount the regent fixture to the wall over the tank.

Thanks,

Jon

USF - I'll get you one!

The Ac03 just help (alittle) to "blue-up" the water. My 26W is absolutley no match for the 70W 10kK.....I really don't know if I could tell the difference! I put the Ac03 on so I could get a dawn/dusk thing going and I love the way my Zoo's and Ric's fluoresce under that lighting.

Are you HAPPY NOW!!!!!

j/k. Hope you like it. Its just frags from my 20 gallon tank at home. Whole thing cost me less then $100 to set up. I'm looking for some more stuff to frag out. Maybe some orange Cap when its gets bigger.

Well anyway, take care.

Awesome,

And yes! I'm happy...T, you happy?

Well on the way to having a xenia jungle :) Is the reddish "blob" under your PH an anthelia or some other xenia?

Looks like that "lone zoo" need some company!

Throw up some updates when you get them!

I'm not sure if its Xenia, Cloves or Anthelia. I have been looking around trying to get an ID but still not sure.

I'm going to move some zoos from my 20 when I get energy to frag stuff.

Archived