-pulsing xenia

-candycane

-shrooms

-frogspawn

-GSP

-gorgonian

-montipora digitata

-montipora capricornis

ok FLY are u happy now...its the return of the avatar and my GF geez..it seems everybody wants to see her more than me for some strange reason which i cannot comprehend. well i guess this is for the 5.5 club;) :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone very nice tanks. I have an empty 5.5 glass tank and I am seriouslly considering setting it up. Since I can't keep many hard corals in my Eclipse 12 I wanted to consider halides. The thing is I dont have a canopy. Is there any lighting setups out there esppecially for this size tank? Any help and ideas would be great.

Well....lost some critters over vacation! Something happened and I lost my cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and all my SPS look like crap!

Volcom-wood canopies for the 5.5 are really simple to build. With that, you could easily go MH and call it a day!

Mine would be a 5.5g if the corners werent cut off. :P

Equipement: 5g flat back hex, ? lbs LR, LS, 39watts PC, mini HOB filter.

Corals: Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Zoos, Encrusting Montipora, Variety of Mushrooms, Mini Carpet Anemones, Lobophyllia and Cabage Leather.

Algaes: Prolifera and Long stem Feather Cauplera. Ones i dont want ;) Hair and Red Bubble Algae.

nano6-vi.jpg

Nice tank Totlxtc!

LR - my guess is that my crab died, polluted the water, and that crashed the tank. Also, one of my SPS was showiing some bleaching right before I left, I suppose what ever caused that could have "jumped" to the others.....or the NH3 spike did them in!

Right now I'm going to hold off on restocking, let the tank stabilize, and reevaluate it in a month or so. I just ordered my 12" CPR aquafuge....so I'll play with that to keep me busy!

Nice tank Shadow,

How long have you had the Monti's under the 70W MH? How far from the light are they? And, what sort of UV shielding are you using?

movingshadow

onthefly

I've had the orange one in there for about 4-5 months and it's been growing great and taking on more color since the switch from T5 at the lfs to hqi in my tank. all the the montis sit roughly six inches from the burner which seems to do them quite good (of course I acclimated). I maintain my waterlevels by dosing "Korallin plus" (german vitamin/supplement/ph buffer complex) and religious waterchanges once to twice a week...

hth :)

movingshadow

oh... I got the fixture (pretty tight, anthracite metallic) on ebay germany, brandnew with a 2 year warranty for ~€40,00 including shipping and I got the bulb (also brandnew with a 2 year warranty) for €30,00 also on ebay. That amounts to about 70-80 US$... The fixture has a uv filtering glass shield included, so I don't need to worry about that... my tank has been doing so much better since the switch, my waterlevels are almost constantly perfect since I moved my baby chromis to a bigger tank (they were both about 1/2-3/4 in when I got them). Less feeding and a good clean up crew = cleaner more stable tank = one happy camper (me) :D

i love those morning/evening shots when everything is starting to close up and "sleep"... (except for my fungia and bubble...the go off at night :D )

well, believe it or not......I'm starting to see some polyp activity on my SPS, and a little more color. Just when I thought I was going to yank'em!

Guess I'll hold off and see what happens.

Next on the list:

1) Aquafuge arrives on monday (if it can get through the snow!)

2) I'm planning on switching over to aragonite

3) and I'm setting up an air power auto top off.

otf, sounds similar to my experience right after I added th halide. I lost a euphyllia divisia, my squamosa , and one of my orange acros... I'd be suspect, are polyps all over closed up, or just parts in direct light..... Man nice threadBTW, superlong, makes me want a 5.5 :P

Congrats Birdy! TOTM!!!! WOW!

Well, I wish I could say that what happened what "this" or "that" specifically...But I can't! All I know is my crab and cleaner were dead...my NH3 was at .2ppm and my SG was at 1.030.

However, as the residient science geek, I have noticed that all the tissue damage was on the back side of my corals. I run glass over my 80% of my tank, the only part open is the back 1" or so (for the HOB). Maybe some UV or intense light is reflecting off the back of the tank and "cooking" the backside of my corals? I just find it wierd that the "big boys" run 10 jillion watts of MH over their tanks and have SPS near the top...they do fine! I have my pee wee 70W'r and it's cooking my shiznit? Regardless, I remember your warning and don't think I could have acclimated any slower, but for the record if it was the MH, I saw the damage around day 20.

My aquafuge should be here Monday and I plan on making a custom top with cutouts for the intake and outlet of the fuge and the rest will be covered.

Archived