Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calling all 5.5's!!!

onthefly

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey OTF congrats on 100 posts and yes.... BIRD you must join in with the cult! once you go 5.5............you'll probably get something else but, this thread rocks!

Wow! I didn't even notice it was getting close to 100

I'll be posting some pics of my new fuge, when it get here!

Hey T, lets see some new pics!

AWESOME!

Got home from work yesterday and received my 12" CPR aquafuge! Jumped right back in the car, went down to the LFS and bought a bag 'o aragamax, then hit HD for a piece of acrylic (figured I was going to need to make a new top).

After drilling a tiny siphon break in the inlet line.......she's up and running!

Here's one of the side views!

I'm running 2-2.5" inches of aragamax (note the cloudy water), plus a few chunks of LR

EDIT: That Rio200 has got to go! That thing looks like a grey refridgerator in my tank! Probably replace it with a Via Aqua or Minijet

Well,

As I found out, bookworms can melt when located to close to a MH! YIKES!

So, a quick call to hellolights and here's the new setup!

Well,

I'm planning on running some chaetomorpha in there. I'm just going to use the passive light from the main tank for now, but I'll be looking into some lighting later......any suggestions? Tomarrow I'm going to go get a few snails for it. I might get a fauna kit from Indo-pacific.....well see?

I figure, just the added water volume alone make this thing worth it!

Blaze on 5.5 brothren!

Welcome aboard!

Nice tanks reefer!

Looks like you're keeping mostly softies in the 5.5 and more SPS in the 20L! I love 20L's. Great rock work in the 5.5 BTW!

Yeah..I'll play guinea pig!

The engineer guy from CPR said "no way!" "too much back flow in a power outage". He never replied to my question about a anti-siphon hole in the inlet.......about 3 months later, I saw him on another board telling people tp drill an anti-siphon hole.....bah!

I run the water level in the main tank about 3-4mm down from the black trim and that is perfect when I "simulate" a power outage.

I'm thinking about making a frag shelf in there.......

OTF, just drill a hole in the inlet side, the outlet side doesnt have alot of water there... leave room for that much...

hmmm......

10 gallon tank soon to be 'fuge? ...... Check !

spare 70W setup and wood for custom hood ..... Check !

LR / LS ..... Check !

hmmmm.. some water motion , a fuge light, and what else , oh yeah, the tank. Maybe I will drill this for a closed loop? OMG noooooooo..................................... My wife will kill me, see you all in 6 mos .......

yes! OTF my friend you will be guinea pig for "project FUGE 5.5x"

hopefully this mission will not be a failer. were all counting on you and your expiriment.

Anti-siphon hole was drilled before I even cleaned the thing, let alone install it!

The project is a success! No overflow what so ever.....

PH is stabilizing, water chemistry is more stable, auto top off is in the works, tank turnover is up to 38x/hr, no more HOB induced sand storms in my tank.........I love it!!!!!!

Sweet Idea! I was going to put it in the main tank, but no reason why it could go there since the levels are the same!

Hey, What do you feed your tank? Noticed the T. crocea.....guy near me just got some and they finish quarantine next week!

OTF, used to use DT's , but it expired recently, I have been using the liquid life at a really low concentration. I push the pump, and get maybe a half a drop on my finger, and let that into the tank. Also marine snow 1x a week now, along with thw liquid life bioplankton 1 x a week now. When It was introduced, I fed phyto 3 - 4 times a week. I do believe they are mainly photosynthetic once to a certain size, and with your halides, NP there. On a side note, Gil is gonna come by hopefully next week and shoot some new pics with the 20K bulb. I love it. www.tunze.com under the lighting.

On a side note, with the top off in there, if yuo have the makeup water returned to the CPR , the topoff will set off many more times throughout the day, but put much less water in , as opposed to coming on 2 or 3 times a day and adding a bunch of water. Ideal for kalk topoff IMO..... I need to post a reply in the sealab #28 thread......

• 3 weeks later...

HA! That's the first post I've ever had yanked......I fell like a big kid now!

To repeat: I too will be posting update this weekend!

I swapped out my substrate last night for aragonite....and moved stuff around.

Archived