Pod Your Reef

rimless + simplicity = my tank.

pnguy3n

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curly Joe Reefer

I like the two island scapes. I tried to accomplish that in my tank, pretty difficult in a ten gallon, but I think it came out as good is i could have expected. I'm looking forward to seeing which way you go

Looking great.

I vote for the cpreef or the really open one. I have been thinking of the same, check my thread out I have my rock work like SunnyX

-Dave

Kevin Pockell's tank. I think he's kevpo or kevinpo on RC.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/08/24/aqu...ane-washington/

That is one of my favorite tanks, the aquascaping is beautiful.

Nothing much happening lately, I added an island. Epoxy a mixture of LR and dried rock together. I'm going to wait another week to make the final touches with the aquascaping. I called reefgeek and talked to Greg about my lighting situation. He said an ATI 36" 8 bulb would be ideal for the dimension for my tank and the types of corals I wanted to keep. If I went with the Sunpower , 2 fixtures would be best. With 2 fixtures that would be equally 12 bulbs, I'm going to try to do a single Sunpower fixture. I know there will be dark spots, and if I'm not happy then I'll purchase another Sunpower. With the aquascape I plan to have, a Sunpower would work, SPS in the middle and LPS/Softies on the outer edges. We'll see how that goes.

This past weekend I transferred some fishes and also purchased a few.

current livestock

-a pair of osc. clowns( had for 3 years)

-stigmata blenny(2+ years)

-(6) threadfin cardinalfishes

This very well could turn out being one of my favorite tanks between the dimensions, stand and the theme you are going to be going with from the above pics. Keep them updates coming.

fishez4alivin

Very sweet tank, and I really like the concrete skin you have there. As for lights, take it from a guy who had to build a tank for his Powermodule. If you are planning on having a mixed reef, then go with the 6 bulb. If you want to go with more SPS, or mostly SPS get the 8 or 10 bulb. I have a 10 bulb, on my 28" tank, and I have to have my chalices under overhangs because the light is that strong, and my tank is 22" tall. I thought that having a 39W Powermodule on a 40x28x22 tank would give me lower light areas on the edges, but it's not the case. The one thing you should think about, is that with the 30"W tank, a 8-10 bulb would be best for coverage, and you can put lower par bulbs such as super actinics in the light, if you want to keep LPS/mixed tank, and will have the capability to really blast the corals if you later go SPS dominant....Instead of going with the 6 bulb now, and deciding in a year or two that you want SPS and then have to get a larger fixture....whatever you do, it's going to be very sweet...congratulations

Kevin Pockell's tank. I think he's kevpo or kevinpo on RC.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/08/24/aqu...ane-washington/

Lol i saw that picture and was like wait a min! I go look at this tank all the time, it's his 600 gallon store tank. The open look of this tank is awesome it's mostly all large sps colonies as it's foundation. Hes also got an amazing sailfin tang in there that he has had for over 16 years.

Very sweet tank, and I really like the concrete skin you have there. As for lights, take it from a guy who had to build a tank for his Powermodule. If you are planning on having a mixed reef, then go with the 6 bulb. If you want to go with more SPS, or mostly SPS get the 8 or 10 bulb. I have a 10 bulb, on my 28" tank, and I have to have my chalices under overhangs because the light is that strong, and my tank is 22" tall. I thought that having a 39W Powermodule on a 40x28x22 tank would give me lower light areas on the edges, but it's not the case. The one thing you should think about, is that with the 30"W tank, a 8-10 bulb would be best for coverage, and you can put lower par bulbs such as super actinics in the light, if you want to keep LPS/mixed tank, and will have the capability to really blast the corals if you later go SPS dominant....Instead of going with the 6 bulb now, and deciding in a year or two that you want SPS and then have to get a larger fixture....whatever you do, it's going to be very sweet...congratulations

Thanks for the input, awesome Boston terrier.

How'd the aquascaping go? You know what comes next after that... diatom bloom!

I just finished the aquascaping. Ahh diatom bloom, there's nothing yet cause I haven't gotten the lights yet. Just a few aiptasia here and there.

Well the tank has been up and running for about 2 months, it seems a lot shorter. I transferred all of the fishes from my previous tank. Everything seems to be fine, I'm doing about 15 gallons a week in water changes. I can't seem to get the salinity where I want it so I'll give that a few weeks.

Snapped some photos today, I must apologize ahead cause the photos are horrible. There's a lot of light going through my living room even with the blinds closed there's still reflections. So excuse the awful photos with the point/shoot camera. There's 2 main island epoxy together, the epoxy is visible but over time the coralline will take over. The rock by itself in the front will be a blasto island I'm hoping. I really like the open look and with a 30" wide tank I tried to maximize the depth of the tank.

Picture001-1.jpg?t=1255041169

Picture019.jpg

Picture030.jpg

I'd recommend Herbie style!

My 125 is plumbed this way and it's DEAD silent.

I can vouch for this!

Tank is going to be great! I love the dimensions and clean look to the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's an updated pic of my fishes. I just recently purchased a 2.5" Marginalis butterfly fish. It's super active and only eats certain pieces of PE mysis.

Currently have...

(6)threadfin cardinalfishes

(2)osc. clowns

(1)stigmata blenny

(1)marginalis butterfly

IMG_9017.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg

IMG_9016.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived