SaltCritters.com

rimless + simplicity = my tank.

pnguy3n

+1 to an awesome tank with lots of potential.

The steel stand is also quite nice with the concrete skin.. Will the concrete be polished or rough? This will be one heavy tank!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+1 to an awesome tank with lots of potential.

The steel stand is also quite nice with the concrete skin.. Will the concrete be polished or rough? This will be one heavy tank!

Thanks, the concrete stand will be polished. I asked him if it will be heavy and he said hes carried a side by himself. There will be 3 sides (top, 1 left, 1 right).

Here's a little preview of the skinning of the stand. Ran into a little problem with my laminate wood floors, apparently the place where I want my tank is uneven. :rant:

Picture008.jpg

Never seen a floor that was level....just shim the stand. Wooden shims will work but plastic shims are the best. I usually over shim by 1/16 inch to allow for compression over time.

Never seen a floor that was level....just shim the stand. Wooden shims will work but plastic shims are the best. I usually over shim by 1/16 inch to allow for compression over time.

Yeah wooden shims it is, we'll see how it turns out.

Awesome build so far! Why are you only using one controllable tunze though? A trio of 6055s or a pair of 6105s would be absolutely incredible in this tank. I love it though. I'm sure this is going to be incredible.

I love going to see Ali @ AAR he has the best displays out of any LFS I have seen.

With laminate floors and a stand skinned with concrete are you worried about weight......

I love going to see Ali @ AAR he has the best displays out of any LFS I have seen.

With laminate floors and a stand skinned with concrete are you worried about weight......

I totally agree with Ali's store. Super nice guy too, really help me with my tank decision.

I thought it was really going to be an issue with the weight, but the way he described the process it really assured me that the concrete was going to be the least of my worries. He is going to have L brackets and glue that to the stand and concrete. Then drill some screws in, so far it's looking great.

Are you going to have anything under the tank and the concrete top?

I was going to put foam or whatever that board you get at Home Depot but decided not to. It's just the tank then the concrete. Installer said it wasn't necessary, everything is leveled. We decided to go with the wooden shims.

Awesome build so far! Why are you only using one controllable tunze though? A trio of 6055s or a pair of 6105s would be absolutely incredible in this tank. I love it though. I'm sure this is going to be incredible.

To be honest with you I'm kind of the lazy/cheap reefer. It's really hard to believe with a project like this. I've been lagging for about a year now with not rushing too bad I just want the tank up and running. I will eventually upgrade to all 6055 and a new skimmer but for now it will get the job done.

Here are some of my favorite shots.

PaulTank-3.jpg

little Boston Terrier.

PaulTank-8.jpg

These pictures are something you see in a home decorating magazine or something. The one with the boston terrier is a sweet picture.

The texture on the concrete works surprisingly well... beats the socks off of wood grain anyday IMO.

Will you be mounting your lights from the ceiling or hanging from a light bar?

Archived