Pod Your Reef

Maxima under power compacts in a 3 gallon

evan484

TheUnfocusedOne

havent read through this so im just responding to the original question from the OP

you cannot keep a maxima in those conditions for multiple reasons

1. your lighting is not suffiecent, the wpg rule may work for fw tanks, but seldom does it translate to sw. you need a metal halide or led array which will provide enough par to sustain your clam

2. you dont seem experienced enough for this. many of the experinced members here would not attempt a clam in a 3g as it depletes the trace elements at an alarming rate

3. as stated, with out the introduction of suffienct nutrients your clam will die

solutions are simple

1. get a better light

2. get a fuge or sump to increase the abundance of elements in the water

3. remove the clam

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for the op. What are your plans for when that clam (if it does survive) outgrows that tank? If you create an environment where that clam thrives in this small tank it will grow fast. You will then have sunk alot of money into this 3g with equipment that probably will be to small for the size aquarium you will need and want in the future. Why not try to sell the clam to someone who has what it needs now. You can keep the set up you have now and practice reefkeeping with simple corals and such. The whole while you could save your money then build a bad ass tank and have all the clams you want.

If you decide to keep it. Go with l.e.d. lighting. Like was mentioned above with a lid you are gonna have serious heat and ph problems. Don't set yourself up for failure....it's the easiest way to get sick of this hobby.

Just my 2 cents...good luck with whatever you decide.

I have a question for the op. What are your plans for when that clam (if it does survive) outgrows that tank? If you create an environment where that clam thrives in this small tank it will grow fast. You will then have sunk alot of money into this 3g with equipment that probably will be to small for the size aquarium you will need and want in the future. Why not try to sell the clam to someone who has what it needs now. You can keep the set up you have now and practice reefkeeping with simple corals and such. The whole while you could save your money then build a bad ass tank and have all the clams you want.

If you decide to keep it. Go with l.e.d. lighting. Like was mentioned above with a lid you are gonna have serious heat and ph problems. Don't set yourself up for failure....it's the easiest way to get sick of this hobby.

Just my 2 cents...good luck with whatever you decide.

I am hoping to get to the point that it will outgrow the tank. I would definitly consider that a victory. In that case I would find someone to give it to. When the clam in the 3g gets to be to much I will do the right thing and provide it with a bigger home. I believe that I can give it an environment where it can thrive.

In terms of l.e.d lighting, what would be my best bet? A lot have people have suggested l.e.ds, but no specific setup.

Start here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186982

Evil has done several l.e.d. group buys and I think he has a new one coming up soon. He is the master of l.e.d's. If you p.m. him or respond in one of his threads I am sure he will put you in the right direction.

Remember that light is only part of keeping clams. They need steady params, right flow, and food especially when they are that small.

Oh and here is the old group buy thread to give you an idea of what your looking at as far as price and sizes and such.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194886

yep you are right and thats what oceans was saying... "which seems more built to defend against over-lighting"

he or she meant that those clams are nearly impossible to provide TOO MUCH light for.... i have my crocea about 5" from the 150w effectively 10000k light... at first i thought it was going to be over kill but man this clam is in heaven

telling u man go with the fishneedit 70w 20000k bulb (itll look much whiter than 20k)

YOU WILL LUV IT ;)

I would do that. I have a 70w running on my 5.5g (I made the mistake of getting 14k, and it looks 10k haha) and it is really nice. I plan on diving into the world of clams pretty soon. I do have another tank that is perfect for clams as a back up though...

I have chosen to go with the JBJ Viper 70 watt trying to do the right thing.

Right choice?

Thats a great light. Well you have half of what is needed. Now you have to stay on top of your paramters. You should test your calcium daily (and alk) and you will most likely need to dose the tank but make sure you test and re-test before you do. Keep us updated, I am glad you are doing the right thing.

There are very few people on here who can handle keeping parameters stable enough on a pico to keep things like that. I would say wait until you get some experience, trade the clam to a local reefer or something. There are plenty of resources you can use here to find a better home for your clam. And in the future, it's always good to do some research before you pick anything up. You can learn from people who have learned the hard way. That's what NR is for. :)

Will I be able to keep coral in such high lighting. Keep in mind the tank is only 3 gallons and the fixture I have coming is a JBJ 70 watt viper. I havent seen that many people that put MH fixtures over such a small tank.

Thanks

yeah, you'll be able to keep coral. it might be pretty intense for some softies, but other than that, you're good.

Alright cool. All of my reef tanks use power compacts that are much less powerful than this light and are bigger tanks so I was a bit worried that corals may get bleached or something like that. Hopefully the Viper will come within the next week, I am pretty excited for my first MH fixture.

LivingStrong08
Alright cool. All of my reef tanks use power compacts that are much less powerful than this light and are bigger tanks so I was a bit worried that corals may get bleached or something like that. Hopefully the Viper will come within the next week, I am pretty excited for my first MH fixture.

Moving forward u may have an issue acclimating new corals to the intense light for a 3 gallon! Congrats on the light man!! U really don't have to buy a super expensive ATO, I have a JbJ on mine and I think i would of bought one from http://www.autotopoff.com/

dont buy a ATO make one for 30$

also a 70 watt viper is fine but watch your temps now. that also means your night time temp. a swing in that small tank will hurt clams. you need a ATO for salinity swings, thats worst than your temp. and you might want to looking into a limewater drip to keep ph,calc, and alk up.

as for the light argument. im going to throw out there about PC lighting. if using the right type and right placement you get the right par for it. clams are possible, and thrive. the only good pc fixture i know of is the us current dual satellite 2x18watt light. sadly its not longer made but you can still find it if you talk to the right people.

clams in a pico have been done many times but is very hard. you must watch every thing, do alot of water changes and dose correctly. but evenly so you dont have dose swings also.

ive skimmed most of tis thread, and if this is your first clam it will be super hard. i have had experience with clams in my big tanks but im working on my own pico. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202486

there hard, and ive had the ability to test everything before hand, knowing it will work before moving the clams in. if your clam ever dose get to the 6" mark you will have to have a new home for it. but that will be awhile so dont worry about it.

im running the current system and everything is good. i havn't moved my clams in yet for im not done making my dosing drip systems. but even i (knowing my par level is ok, for i tested it) will upgrade soon to evil led lights, when he dose a order again.

if need any help ask and here is a great place to ask. http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/forum.html

good luck -J0hn

Moving forward u may have an issue acclimating new corals to the intense light for a 3 gallon! Congrats on the light man!! U really don't have to buy a super expensive ATO, I have a JbJ on mine and I think i would of bought one from http://www.autotopoff.com/

Thanks man. I'm having a glass cover made for the tank. It should cover about 95 percent of the tank, is an ATO still going to be nessisary?

corallineadam
I have chosen to go with the JBJ Viper 70 watt trying to do the right thing.

Right choice?

nice choice, never had a vioper but the 70w MH will be great for it and it will really make ur tank!

im telling u tho check out the FISHNEEDIT one its only $100 BRAND NEW!!

Thanks man. I'm having a glass cover made for the tank. It should cover about 95 percent of the tank, is an ATO still going to be nessisary?

and ato wont be necessary and neither will the glass lid -- i had lids made for all of my nanos and theyre all sitting in my closet unused...

they cause the heat to stay trapped in the tank and temps get high

for topoff i just make sure to add a little water everyday when i wake up and when i go to bed so it stays pretty consistent

its up to you and i would get a lid just to have, but i wouldnt recommend using it unless it doesnt make ur temps get to high then keep it on there...

dont buy a ATO make one for 30$

also a 70 watt viper is fine but watch your temps now. that also means your night time temp. a swing in that small tank will hurt clams. you need a ATO for salinity swings, thats worst than your temp. and you might want to looking into a limewater drip to keep ph,calc, and alk up.

as for the light argument. im going to throw out there about PC lighting. if using the right type and right placement you get the right par for it. clams are possible, and thrive. the only good pc fixture i know of is the us current dual satellite 2x18watt light. sadly its not longer made but you can still find it if you talk to the right people.

clams in a pico have been done many times but is very hard. you must watch every thing, do alot of water changes and dose correctly. but evenly so you dont have dose swings also.

ive skimmed most of tis thread, and if this is your first clam it will be super hard. i have had experience with clams in my big tanks but im working on my own pico. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202486

there hard, and ive had the ability to test everything before hand, knowing it will work before moving the clams in. if your clam ever dose get to the 6" mark you will have to have a new home for it. but that will be awhile so dont worry about it.

im running the current system and everything is good. i havn't moved my clams in yet for im not done making my dosing drip systems. but even i (knowing my par level is ok, for i tested it) will upgrade soon to evil led lights, when he dose a order again.

if need any help ask and here is a great place to ask. http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/forum.html

good luck -J0hn

There is a lot of talk about dosing. What does everybody use? I have a three part set from DT that adds calcium, magnesium and ups alkalinity. Is this sufficent or should I be looking into other suplements?

Find a sturdy water bottle,

some airline tubing and some silicone glue then you've got a ato.

Dirt cheap and it works well.

Might even be able to add some sort of dosing to the top off water,

I don't know much about dosing and calcium hungry livestock though.

corallineadam

i use ESV b-ionic but i dont use it much, its easy to dose too much

i have 3 clams in my 5.5g and theyre pretty large (4"-10" in size) and i dont does much in that tank even, just keep up with water changes and they will get all the Ca they need if you have a proper salt mix

i use Oceanic but most reef salts should have good ca and alk...

scubasteve2580

I HAVE A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you keep clams in a 10 gallon aga (20x10.5x12.5) with 4x18 t5ho?? is it even close to enough lighting?

I HAVE A QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you keep clams in a 10 gallon aga (20x10.5x12.5) with 4x18 t5ho?? is it even close to enough lighting?

yes....just keep the mid to high on the rock work and WATCH YOUR CALCIUM!!!!

i wouldn't do more than 1 in a 10

scubasteve2580
yes....just keep the mid to high on the rock work and WATCH YOUR CALCIUM!!!!

i wouldn't do more than 1 in a 10

what kinda clam??? also.. 2 of the bulbs are actinic the other 2 are 10k

Archived