Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxima under power compacts in a 3 gallon

evan484

he's not going to listen.....he wanted some one to justify that what he is doing isn't totally dunb and he's not getting the validation he wants so he's still going to do what he pleases even if it means killing the clam

pathetic really.....

I wanted to here some opinions and hear other people's experience with PC lighting. At this point you arent even talking about aquariums, your just bashing on me and I dont really appreciate it. Dont take offence, but you dont seem to have to much useful to say to me other then your first post so you shouldnt be giving me such a hard time. I apologize if I am not an expert like you are. I am trying to be as reasonable as I can, but you are being very hostile.

Everybody: I relize the common consensus is that a clam cannot be kept under PCs. I got that. If anyone has any different thoughts or wants to comment on how the clam looks I welcome it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he's not going to listen.....he wanted some one to justify that what he is doing isn't totally dunb and he's not getting the validation he wants so he's still going to do what he pleases even if it means killing the clam

pathetic really.....

this is from ezcompany's write up in the lighting section on "lighting requirements for clams"

T. Maxima

These clams require almost as much light as Croceas if not as much. In the wild they have a maximum depth of occurrence slightly deeper than Croceas, but are again mostly found in very clean and shallow waters. The best bet is to place them in the same lighting conditions as you would light a Crocea. The “safe” amount of lighting would be under a 100 watt metal halide if they existed, so I’m going to say 150 watt 14k metal halide under 20 inches or less as well

Exceptions to the Rule

Many people claim that Croceas and Maximas can survive under power compact lighting. These cases are far and few between, but there are certain individuals that are able to tolerate lower lightings, at which most of their counterparts would not be able to survive. Nevertheless, you should not take the risk and hope to get lucky, it is better to be prepared to give them what they will surely thrive in. It is always good to provide at least enough light of the given species to thrive in, and NOT the bare minimum you think you can get by with. Plus, it is the least we can do for our animal, as well as our responsibility as hobbyist.

i think this was pretty useful......don't you??

I wanted to here some opinions and hear other people's experience with PC lighting. At this point you arent even talking about aquariums, your just bashing on me and I dont really appreciate it. Dont take offence, but you dont seem to have to much useful to say to me other then your first post so you shouldnt be giving me such a hard time. I apologize if I am not an expert like you are. I am trying to be as reasonable as I can, but you are being very hostile.

Everybody: I relize the common consensus is that a clam cannot be kept under PCs. I got that. If anyone has any different thoughts or wants to comment on how the clam looks I welcome it.

correction....maxima clams SHOULD NOT be kept under PC's....you just don't get it....... :blink:

Just an impartial observer here but I think this thread has run out it's usefulness to all parties involved. Looks like evan184 is stuck on his path, either by choice or circumstances, but isn't saying "torture a clam" a bit extreme, even for this crowd? Torture is the Khamir Rouge, Pinochet's (sp.?) Chile or Guantanimo for that matter; but a clam?

Here we go...........

Just an impartial observer here but I think this thread has run out it's usefulness to all parties involved. Looks like evan184 is stuck on his path, either by choice or circumstances, but isn't saying "torture a clam" a bit extreme, even for this crowd? Torture is the Khamir Rouge, Pinochet's (sp.?) Chile or Guantanimo for that matter; but a clam?

Here we go...........

any living thing that you have the responsibility to care for so it can live....that you neglect and watch die.....is a form of torture.....

i think this was pretty useful......don't you??

correction....maxima clams SHOULD NOT be kept under PC's....you just don't get it....... :blink:

First of all, I agree with 5881 and thank him for putting this in perspective. Rockfish, your being quite mellowdramatic and I think you should calm down about this and go to another thread. Your point is extremely clear: clams should not be put under PC's and you think I am stupid, lazy, pathetic that I should be charged with animal cruelity. Enough is Enough.

For the price of your two lighting units, you could have purchased one of evilc66's pico lamps and could have kept anything in the tank you wanted. Just an idea, if you would like to try to sell the units/return them and get proper lighting.

Here's the thread on those lights ($75 for a 14k, $85 for a 20k):

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192645

Thank you for something new and helpful. One thing I just want to mention is that I got the second light for free. Do you know if evilc66 is still selling these lights?

Thanks again for the help.

HeyLookItsCaps

ill take your clams off your hands and put it in an environment which it will live and grow correctly. when he said lazy he wasnt talking about lighting, he was talking about you getting off your behind and giving it to someone who can care for it. when you buy a puppy, do you put it in a shoebox with no food and expect it to be "happy"?

poor clam. oh well man, good luck.

PM me what you paid and ill save it.

Deleted User 6

I'm not sure if he is. I have heard talk of another group buy at the end of this year. I don't know if you could get one of these before then or not. You'd need to post on his thread.

Please keep a close eye on the clam. If it begins to show signs of stress (reaching for the light, not responding) then do the right thing and give it away. We all make mistakes and buy things we shouldn't. Best of luck.

I'm not sure if he is. I have heard talk of another group buy at the end of this year. I don't know if you could get one of these before then or not. You'd need to post on his thread.

Please keep a close eye on the clam. If it begins to show signs of stress (reaching for the light, not responding) then do the right thing and give it away. We all make mistakes and buy things we shouldn't. Best of luck.

I will do exactly that, if things dont look good I'll give it away. Thanks for the advice.

LivingStrong08

Very cool, I think this shows that the community cares about the animals involved.. this is a hobby that we have to be smart with... :happy:

I know its easy to belive the LFS, trust me, I have been guilty in the past, however I had to make it right. LFS will say almost anything in this economy to get you to buy... Trust me.. Research something, go in and ask like a complete newb, and hear the complete opposit of what you visited... it's sad... :(

Evan, I think you should sell it man... wait till u get some killer lights on there and buy two of em! :lol:

I think in this situation there is no win without higher lights....I hope you don't take it as bashing or anything, but I just wanted to give you a realistic view with your LFS....Not all are bad, but if you have research saying "not going to work" and then they say "SURE!" u know..

I also think Evils BG is closed for his awesome lights.

If you keep it good luck and keep us updated.

ill take your clams off your hands and put it in an environment which it will live and grow correctly. when he said lazy he wasnt talking about lighting, he was talking about you getting off your behind and giving it to someone who can care for it. when you buy a puppy, do you put it in a shoebox with no food and expect it to be "happy"?

poor clam. oh well man, good luck.

PM me what you paid and ill save it.

thank you....that's all I was trying to say......but why are you so hell bent on keeping something you're going to kill?

and mellowdramatic would be to say that clams have feelings and it's painful when they die........

that's probably not the case here.....but it's still cruel nonetheless....your newbie is showing,,,,,

After hearing from the more reasonable people on this thread I was reminded that most of you out there are looking to help and not just looking for someone to bully. Because of this I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for a reasonable priced light fixture that would be suitable for the clam in my 3 gallon. Reasonably priced is the key phrase.

Thanks

Deleted User 6

What does "reasonably priced" mean to you? There aren't many 12" fixtures that would be powerful enough. My recommendation would be a DIY project with a Metal Halide retro, or LEDs. Neither are super cheap.

After hearing from the more reasonable people on this thread I was reminded that most of you out there are looking to help and not just looking for someone to bully. Because of this I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for a reasonable priced light fixture that would be suitable for the clam in my 3 gallon. Reasonably priced is the key phrase.

Thanks

I'm def not trying to bully anyone dude.....and if you're serious about keeping a clam find a small 70w MH light that will suit your needs

we're all friends here with one common passion.....i just don't want to see anyone make a stupid mistake (especially when there are ppl here trying to help) i'm very passionate about my hobby and i'm glad you're going to do the right thing for your clam

try ebay and craigslist if you don't have any luck here.....that's where i got my fixture and ballast

good luck and again.....i was never trying to be a bully.....just wanted to make you understand the right way to go about what you're trying to accomplish.....i'm just not as nice about it sometimes like other ppl here......my apologies

Thanks

Go with a JBJ 70w Viper. If that's not enough light there's a 150w as well.

Deleted User 6

If you go with a MH on a 3g tank, you're going to need to do fan cooling, which then means you're going to need an ATO for evaporation. It all adds up quickly, which is why I would instead go with LEDs, which end up being cheaper in the long run anyways.

HeyLookItsCaps

honestly man, in a pico i would consider just selling the bivalve. when you upgrade the lights, it typically means more evaporation on top of the cost of the light, more evap means more salinity swings daily in a pico, and a pico is hard to keep even as it is, to counter act this you would need to buy an Auto Top-Off to automatically re-dispense evaporated water. so youve turned a simple "softie" style reef tank into a fully modified mixed sps/clam reef and that is alot of expensive equipment for a 30-50 dollar clam. let us know how it goes

To put it simply it will die from the light.

It's not that it's not enough and it won't be as happy,

the clam is currently doomed with the lighting.

If you get MH,

use some cheap computer fans and a cheap diy auto topoff.

I'm 17(I started reefing like 1 year ago),

I pay for everything on my dime and reefing isn't cheap.

I've spent $400 on my 20 gallon,

some of the livestock was given to me so it would have been $600.

You need to spend the money on the proper light,

don't do it halfway since it will cost you more or just sell the clam until you can afford a setup that would keep it happy.

If you go with a MH on a 3g tank, you're going to need to do fan cooling, which then means you're going to need an ATO for evaporation. It all adds up quickly, which is why I would instead go with LEDs, which end up being cheaper in the long run anyways.

Heres a picture of a cover I made for the tank, would this make a difference with MH in terms of evaporation? Its not the best picture, but it shows that the only part that is open is a small section so the filter fits in. You also mentioned DIY LED fixtures, any idea how much it would set me back?

post-38994-1251924154_thumb.jpg

LivingStrong08

+1 to what your budget would be.. A lot of people here will search sales and sites to find a light for you (or have an extra lying around that they may sell).. Are we looking $50 or $150? KnowwhatImean?

+1 to what your budget would be.. A lot of people here will search sales and sites to find a light for you (or have an extra lying around that they may sell).. Are we looking $50 or $150? KnowwhatImean?

I am not in a position where I can spend more the $100 dollars and even thats more then Id like to spend, but if thats what it takes. And if anyone found something that would be very very helpful (to me and the clam).

Thanks

This would work,

some DIY and it would hang over your tank.

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=1349

$110 with the bulbs,

plus shipping but they have 10% off memorials day sale .

Just need to make a wood box,

drill a hole or holes in the top for heat(or add a fan,

then you could put the two holes one one each end ) and hang it or set it ontop of the tank.

Wiring should be easy and the light will be perfect with much less heat then MH.

Plus you can upgrade and have the light for it.

Don't worry about the wasted light,

your using as much electricity as one incandescent 60 watt bulb.

those t5s look good, i have a mh on a 22l and its been a bit of a head ache. it bleached my monti cap because the light intensity is so strong compared to pcs. It causes me about a half a pint of water a day, i top up 3 times a day as I'm currently home all day, as soon as i get back to work i'll have to get an auto top off, you cant top off once a day as it causes a big swing. I use t5s on my 53g fresh water tank and the lighting is sick. You can get lots of different coloured bulbs to get a great spectrum. Go for the t5s dude. When i upgrade, i'll be pinching the t5s from the freshies and giving them retrofit t8s.

Well this has been a fairly over-dramatic read lol...

I am a clam lover, have always loved keeping clams, and will always want to incorporate them into my setups. I would personally never put a Maxima or Crocea under anything less then HOT5 lighting, and certainly don't condone those two species being kept under PC lighting.

That being said - here are some suggestions to help deal with the situation.

Things I noticed:

The clam you have there is TINY! Clams under 3" tend to be a little bit harder to care for. It has been debated many times over, but in my own experience, young T.maxima fair better when supplemented with live, or DT's phytoplankton once or twice a day. I find that it speeds up growth & the hardiness of clam provided all other essential elements (calcium, magnesium etc.) are in order.

The clam looks like it is on the bottom of the aquarium! For the time being, place the clam as high up in the aquarium as possible. These are rock dwelling clams, most photos of these clams in the wild show them on reef shelves amongst sps coral, or even in low tide areas. The sand will not hurt the clam by any means, but in this situation, getting the clam as close to its light source as possible can only increase its chances of survival. As light travels through water, the PAR decreases dramatically - the closer to the light source the clam is, the more light it will receive.

Best of luck with your attempt.

I do hope you find the clam a better environment if things start to go south.

TJ

Archived