Cultivated Reef

Collegenano's 40 Breeder (Previous 46 Bow)

CollegeNano

Lions can go without food for much longer, mine actually regularly goes without food for 3-5 days at a time because he doesn't like to eat more often (even when feeding live). I feed him big portions.

But if you are going to train him to frozen I'd suggest QTing him for your other fishes sakes. Then once he's eating frozen regularly, you can reintroduce him into the main system. I was afraid mine would eat my banggai! I wrote a bit more in my thread on this, and i'll write more again later.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CollegeNano
Your tank looks great.

I've seen a video before of a lionfish eating damsels that are the size of his body. Just sucked them up.

I hear ya. If it happens I'm willing to accept the loss.

Lions can go without food for much longer, mine actually regularly goes without food for 3-5 days at a time because he doesn't like to eat more often (even when feeding live). I feed him big portions.

But if you are going to train him to frozen I'd suggest QTing him for your other fishes sakes. Then once he's eating frozen regularly, you can reintroduce him into the main system. I was afraid mine would eat my banggai! I wrote a bit more in my thread on this, and i'll write more again later.

Ok, I have a 12G aquapod which should work, but will need a few weeks to cycle. Let me know the technique that worked for you :)

CollegeNano
Is your tank glass and is it drilled in the bottom or back glass.

It is drilled on the back. 4 holes in total, two for the drain and 2 for the return. You would not be able to drill the bottom of the 46 bow successfully because it is tempered.

CollegeNano

Landmark event today! After refusing to give my lion live food for a full week and only introducing frozen to the tank, he took a bite. It only took one and now he is eating frozen like he has all his life. I hope this trend continues. I'm very happy!

CollegeNano
Still vodka dosing?

Sure am! I have also added vinegar and sugar water to the mix. I will take pics today for some comparison since I've started. I ordered a new bulb, but will not put it in until I can get a good comparison.

The hair algae seems to be at bay, but it still apparent in my tank. The rock that I think is causing all of the problems is covered in zoas and between them hair algae is growing everywhere. I really like this rock but it is impossible to clean because I cannot pinch the algae off at the base without tearing up the zoas.

CollegeNano

Vodka Dosing (UNEDITED) Comparison Shots

Feb. 1, 2011 to March 13, 2011

Here Are the ~1 month comparison shots from my carbon dosing endeavor. I say carbon dosing because I felt the effects of only vodka were minmal, so last week I began adding sugar and vinegar to the mix. I will post in another month to see the added effects of those two carbon sources supplementing the vodka.

Note: The Blue Acro was moved because I accidentally broke it off with the mag-float. It is now at a similar angle to the light but lower in the tank. Everything else is essentially in the same position

Orange Monti: Feb. 1

IMG_1121.jpg

Orange Monti: March 13

IMG_1431.jpg

Blue Acro: Feb. 1

IMG_1113.jpg

Blue Acro: March 13

IMG_1400.jpg

Birdsnest: Feb 1

IMG_1126.jpg

Birdsnest: March 13

IMG_1393.jpg

Yellow Monti(?): Feb. 1

IMG_1116.jpg

Yellow Monty(?): March 13

IMG_1389.jpg

Overall, I haven't really noticed much color change in the photos. In person, they do appear to have a deeper hue, but that could be placebo! You might notice they even look slightly duller, but I believe this is due to white balance issues over anything else.

Might be the lighting, but a few seem to be lighter in color after dosing carbon. I am interested in how your corals are affected as I dose vodka and have been thinking about adding sugar to the mix.

CollegeNano
Might be the lighting, but a few seem to be lighter in color after dosing carbon. I am interested in how your corals are affected as I dose vodka and have been thinking about adding sugar to the mix.

I agree. I made sure not to change the bulb and attempted to keep the corals in the exact same spot to keep it constant. I hope the next "color change" test turns out better!

Anyway, I have not noticed any negative effects from dosing vodka or from dosing vodka, sugar, and vinegar.

I was up to 30 drops of vodka a day (I don't have anything to measure ml so I've been counting by drops, increasing 5 a week) when I decided to add sugar and vinegar as well. When I did this I started with 15 vodka, 10 vinegar, 10 sugar. Now I'm at 20 drops of vodka, 15 drops of vinegar, and 15 drops of sugar water. I'm sticking with this for the remainder of the week.

I put the drops into a glass of tank water and drip it into my sump, which takes 2-3 hours.

I changed to more carbon sources because I was not seeing the side effects people write about. Ex. my skimmer is not pulling out any more than it normally would. Ex. not really much color change. Ex Hair algae slowed slightly, but still at nuisance levels. I will see how the other 2 carbon sources help this situation.

Hair algae, the worse rock:

IMG_1422.jpg

Note: I have also begun changing 2.5 gallons of water every day (in the evening, dosing in the morning) in an attempt to further combat the hair algae. I'm not sure if/how this effects my dosing, but that could be a reason I'm not seeing some of the effects others have witnessed.

i'm interested in seeing how this dosing affects your tank. I'll be following. and congrats on getting your lion to eat!

CollegeNano
i'm interested in seeing how this dosing affects your tank. I'll be following. and congrats on getting your lion to eat!

Thanks for giving me the courage to wait a full week without feeding!

I don't have anything to measure ml so I've been counting by drops...

Dude, do like I did and go to any local pharmacy and ask them for a free syringe. Tell them you are looking for something in the 1-3 ml or cc range. Tell them it is not for medicating a human and that you do not need a needle on it. That should set the pharmacist at ease. I spent about half an hour one day driving to 3 or 4 of my local ones and each place gave me at least one size for free. I now have a pretty good assortment of sizes and styles....all for free :)

Or go on Ebay and get a box of 100 1cc/1ml made for diabetics for about 15 bucks shipped. Or some veterinarian sellers on Ebay will sell them in quantities of 3 or 4 if you want to re-use them for about 3 bucks.

They will come in handy for more than just carbon dosing.

CollegeNano
Very nice Duncan. How's the dosing going? did you find yourself skipping a dosing?

Dosing is. . . going. No visible negative side effects, but really no positive ones either! Sadly I do have to skip doses twice a week, every other week. I go out of town then and have no way to dose with peace of mind.

Dude, do like I did and go to any local pharmacy and ask them for a free syringe. Tell them you are looking for something in the 1-3 ml or cc range. Tell them it is not for medicating a human and that you do not need a needle on it. That should set the pharmacist at ease. I spent about half an hour one day driving to 3 or 4 of my local ones and each place gave me at least one size for free. I now have a pretty good assortment of sizes and styles....all for free :)

Or go on Ebay and get a box of 100 1cc/1ml made for diabetics for about 15 bucks shipped. Or some veterinarian sellers on Ebay will sell them in quantities of 3 or 4 if you want to re-use them for about 3 bucks.

They will come in handy for more than just carbon dosing.

If I can work up the boldness to take your advice, I will definitely do that! If not I will take your advice and buy one.

i have a large one that doesn't measure down to mL which I use for feeding. Definitely comes in handy.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree. I made sure not to change the bulb and attempted to keep the corals in the exact same spot to keep it constant. I hope the next "color change" test turns out better!

Anyway, I have not noticed any negative effects from dosing vodka or from dosing vodka, sugar, and vinegar.

I was up to 30 drops of vodka a day (I don't have anything to measure ml so I've been counting by drops, increasing 5 a week) when I decided to add sugar and vinegar as well. When I did this I started with 15 vodka, 10 vinegar, 10 sugar. Now I'm at 20 drops of vodka, 15 drops of vinegar, and 15 drops of sugar water. I'm sticking with this for the remainder of the week.

I put the drops into a glass of tank water and drip it into my sump, which takes 2-3 hours.

I changed to more carbon sources because I was not seeing the side effects people write about. Ex. my skimmer is not pulling out any more than it normally would. Ex. not really much color change. Ex Hair algae slowed slightly, but still at nuisance levels. I will see how the other 2 carbon sources help this situation.

Hair algae, the worse rock:

IMG_1422.jpg

Note: I have also begun changing 2.5 gallons of water every day (in the evening, dosing in the morning) in an attempt to further combat the hair algae. I'm not sure if/how this effects my dosing, but that could be a reason I'm not seeing some of the effects others have witnessed.

Hey nice bowfront! Too be honest the best way to get rid of that hair algae is with a Sea Hare. A lot of people might disagree, but if you keep just long enough to get rid of the hair algae then give the sea hare to someone else.

CollegeNano
Hey nice bowfront! Too be honest the best way to get rid of that hair algae is with a Sea Hare. A lot of people might disagree, but if you keep just long enough to get rid of the hair algae then give the sea hare to someone else.

Your advice is well taken. I'm not sure about the "reef safeness" of every nudi and am always weary to buy one that could destroy my tank! If you have advice on types let me know and I will keep a lookout at the LFS!

• 2 weeks later...
CollegeNano
The tanks looking nice man! How is the lion doing?

Thank you! The lion is doing very well. He thinks every time I pass by the tank he is going to be fed, so he is very active when I'm around. He has a great appetite and has even snagged flake food from my other fish.

I was able to get my hair algae more or less under control. I purchased a light to put over my sump and it runs counter to my daylights. The algae has been kept at bay after a few weeks with that light running.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, long time Adam. The tank looks great and those corals sure do look familiar! You still in the Chapel Hill area, or did you move after school? Sorry I've been MIA. Work really took off. So what made you decide to dose vodka?

DCUEVAS74

+1 on the sea hare! I had a bad outbreak a while back. My local LFS let me rent a sea hare for a couple of days. My tank was completely clean on the second day. Wish I had tried that a couple of tanks ago!

Great build and good luck on the dosing!

• 1 month later...
CollegeNano
Hey, long time Adam. The tank looks great and those corals sure do look familiar! You still in the Chapel Hill area, or did you move after school? Sorry I've been MIA. Work really took off. So what made you decide to dose vodka?

Hey Jared. Yeah it has been a while! Actually, I am in law school at Elon and am working in Greensboro this summer. I make it to Chapel Hill quite often during the year, though, because my girlfriend is in law school there. We should make some time to meet up for sure.

I decided to dose vodka after reading a few articles on how it has helped other tanks. Unfortunately, I went on tank hiatus during exams and did very little care for about 3 weeks. I'm paying for it now with more hair algae. Starting vodka dosing again, plus water changes every day to help get it under control. Will keep updated.

• 1 year later...
Jackal_Knight

great looking tank, just skimming over your thread, i like all the pics. and that yellow acro you got is awesome. how did the vadka dosing work out for you while you were doing it, see i couldn't dose my tank vadka, I'd just dose my self :D

Archived