SaltCritters.com

Collegenano's 40 Breeder (Previous 46 Bow)

CollegeNano

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet tank!

Love the coral placement.

Let's see some pictures of that clam and fish after a few hours in their new home.

Thank you d9hp! I have class at 11, which is right after my acclimation should be done thankfully. After class I'm definitely going into picture mode. Hopefully the lionfish isn't too shy, although he may take a few days to come out I hear. I will definitely try and get some of the clam!

During my quick run home for lunch I snapped a few pics. Both new inhabitants are still understandably shy!

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

IMG_1027.jpg

Crocea Clam

IMG_1030.jpg

More packages came today! John from ReefCleaners shipped me a package of snails which I hope will help control some of this algae I have had outbreak. Among the packages were also test kits, calcium/alk additive, back-up heater, food supplement, and a dosing syringe (plan on starting vodka soon!).

Packaging by ReefCleaners (heat pack included)

IMG_1060.jpg

Acclimation! With John's great prices, 2 day shipping, and a coupon code I got this for $22. Plus, he always adds an extra handful of dwarf ceriths and I swear one or two more of each other order if he pleases!

IMG_1061.jpg

I'm also excited because I got a REALLY (in my opinion) good pic of my new fuzzy. Uploading now!

EDIT: DO NOT DRIP ACCLIMATE YOUR CUC INVERTS! THE ABOVE PICTURE IS BAD ADVICE!

Does anyone have advice on weening my lionfish onto frozen foods?

I've read about feeding him ghost (glass) shrimp (a freshwater shrimp?) but I'm unsure how to go from that to frozen food. I have small mysis and silversides at the ready. Thanks!

Does anyone have advice on weening my lionfish onto frozen foods?

I've read about feeding him ghost (glass) shrimp (a freshwater shrimp?) but I'm unsure how to go from that to frozen food. I have small mysis and silversides at the ready. Thanks!

this is how i trained my fu manchu to eat frozen. I got a normal feeding stick and super glued fishing string to the end of it. I left about 6 inchs of line and i would thread the food on the end of line so i could wiggle it and get them eat. It worked for me so hopfully it will for you as well

this is how i trained my fu manchu to eat frozen. I got a normal feeding stick and super glued fishing string to the end of it. I left about 6 inchs of line and i would thread the food on the end of line so i could wiggle it and get them eat. It worked for me so hopfully it will for you as well

Did you start with ghost shrimp then put the frozen in at the same time in hopes that he would grab it? I've tried straight "fishing" with frozen but he shows no interest. I think i need to trick him with live around the frozen food.

Since the warranty on my fuzzy is up tomorrow, I decided it's time to start a risky project: Vodka Dosing!

I've been doing research on strategies and methods for dosing a tank and am sold on the positive benefits I will achieve if I dose correctly. Essentially, this, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php, is my main source of information and what I based my approach off of. So, I went to the store today and bought.....

VODKA, also cleaned out my skimmer cup because it will be working hard soon!

IMG_1144.jpg

Starting dose will be .2ml for three days (until Thursday), then on Friday I will double this amount to .4ml.

Today, I filled a cup with tank water and the .2ml of 80 proof vodka and added it to my tank through the drip line which took around 30 min.

I also took some before pics for comparison in a month or so. Straight from the camera with no editing for consistency. Settings 1/50, F5.0, iso 400, WB auto.

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1116.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm also attempting to grow brine shrimp to adults for my lionfish.

The setup is simple and consists of a 5G bucket, air pump and tubing. The tupperware is holding ghost shrimp for current lionfish feedings.

IMG_1153.jpg

Fish Livestock Day:

False-Perc Clownfish (Nemo, I know but my girlfriend named him)

IMG_1211.jpg

6-line wrasse (Hootie)

IMG_1203.jpg

Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (To be determined, and ideas?)

IMG_1036.jpg

and new FTS, but pretty much the same

IMG_1216.jpg

P.S. day two of vodka dosing, been slow dripping for the past two hours from a beer mug :P

Can you confirm the point of vodka dosing? I never heard of it.

Sure, with information supplemented by my reading :)

Vodka is an organic carbon source. Introducing organic carbon allows for increased bacteria growth, which use up nutrients that nuisance algae use. Then using a skimmer, you suck out a lot of this bacteria and die-off. Here is a clip from the reef central article on dosing (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php):

The main purpose to dose organic carbon is the reduction of excess nutrients in the reef aquaria. The two main nutrients reduced from organic carbon addition are nitrate and phosphate molecules (NO3 and PO4 respectfully). The reduction of phosphates, in turn, allows for enhanced calcification and growth of corals. Additionally, lower NO3 and PO4 have the added benefit of reduced nuisance algae, both bubble and hair.

Sweet! I did check the link you posted. I will be doing a lot of reading... I hope you plan on doing a before and after picture.

I am, I posted the before (straight from the camera to computer) pics above. Will do after pics weekly-ish!

Hey was your overflow built in or did you add it? I see the big black thing in the back middle that looks like an overflow. Also how do you like the light? I'm considering getting the same light. Or spend the extra $40 and get the 4 t5 version.

Hey was your overflow built in or did you add it? I see the big black thing in the back middle that looks like an overflow. Also how do you like the light? I'm considering getting the same light. Or spend the extra $40 and get the 4 t5 version.

I built my overflow myself and installed it myself. I had two big problems though. (1) I only had a hand saw to cut the acrylic with. (2) Unfortunately I was too anxious to get the tank wet and instead of waiting a few days for the silicone to fully cure I did a hack job on it, rushed the process, and when I installed it in the tank I noticed after doing a power outage test that it wasn't water-tight. Do I had to put a ton of silicone on the outside to be sure I fixed all of the leaks. Now it's kind of an eyesore :/

• 3 weeks later...
CollegeNano

Attempting to fool my lionfish into eating frozen shrimp. I need larger frozen shrimp as the small ones aren't fooling him. See if you can spot the live (blurry) ghost shrimp who was subsequently chomped. (Pics compliments of my amazing girlfriend!)

IMG_1374.jpg

Beware of lightning eyes

IMG_1368.jpg

And I have to sneak in the puppy, Skyler, playing fetch in the courtyard!

IMG_1363.jpg

Sweet tank! I have the same tank as you, I can only hope to make it look as nice!

That last shot of the lion is amazing, one question tho, are you not afraid he'll eat the clown and sixline?

I have a fuzzy dwarf too, but mine lives in his own tank. I was thinking about tank mates for him, but I want something he won't eat. I've fed him feeder fish before and he's eaten some pretty big ones. He's eating frozen krill now. I can tell you how I got him over if you are still interested.

Keep it up. I'll be following.

CollegeNano
Sweet tank! I have the same tank as you, I can only hope to make it look as nice!

That last shot of the lion is amazing, one question tho, are you not afraid he'll eat the clown and sixline?

I have a fuzzy dwarf too, but mine lives in his own tank. I was thinking about tank mates for him, but I want something he won't eat. I've fed him feeder fish before and he's eaten some pretty big ones. He's eating frozen krill now. I can tell you how I got him over if you are still interested.

Keep it up. I'll be following.

Thank you! I'll check out your thread, and I'm sorry I missed it! I have actually been getting pretty aggravated with my tank build lately for multiple reasons and was looking to upgrade, but now my funds are extremely tight and that dream has left. Looks like the 46 is here to stay, ha.

My lion is quite small, His body size is probably equal to that of the 6-line, and only slightly larger than the clownfish. I know these guys can fit some big fish in their mouths, but I cannot envision him eating the fish in my tank at his current size. Although that argument from incredulity may not be very convincing, it keeps me from worrying! If he does eat them I am prepared to handle the loss.

I am definitely interested in hearing how you weaned your lion onto frozen. My "fishing" attempts with silverside tails have failed. I have been feeding him with a small tupperware dish with a gut-loaded ghost shimp inside and smaller frozen shrimp inside as well trying to fool him. I haven't been successful yet though. I even tried starving him for 5 days, tried frozen, failed, and was scared he would starve to death and went back to live, haha.

You advice is absolutely welcomed!

Your tank looks great.

I've seen a video before of a lionfish eating damsels that are the size of his body. Just sucked them up.

Archived