Innovative Marine Aquariums

TimDanger's CADlights 39g Pro

timdanger

Tim, I'm glad you're having success with the filter sock!

As the sock gets dirtier, you will most likely notice an increase in skimmer production. I wedged some filter floss under the baffle in the drain chamber to force all of the flow through the skimmer chamber from the drain chamber before it can get into the refugium area. That way, your skimmer and filter sock can work in conjunction to get most of the crap out prior to cycling through the rest of the sump.

If you're not running a system that is planted with macroalgae, you should plan on cleaning those filter socks weekly. I let mine go a little longer to help feed the plants.

To clean them, I spray them pretty heavily with a white vinegar and water mix, let them sit for about 15min, then run them in the washing machine (hot cycle/water only/no soap). They come out looking pretty good. Some use bleach, but I haven't gone that route although I'm sure it's fine.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, i'm running chaeto in my fuge -- i'm sure it's not starving, though i wish it'd grow a little better (i need to switch to that fuge light you're using from HD with a lower spectrum bulb!).

i did buy two filter socks, so i'll be able to switch them out. I will say, it looks like the first one's already clogged up after about 2-3 days of use (water is spilling out the top).

on a semi-related note, just because the drain is no longer causing microbubble issues doesn't mean they're gone -- the bubble-magus skimmer is creating microbubbles of its own, now. i'm hoping once it adjusts itself, these issues will correct themselves.

so, while we're on the subject of the bubble-magus, i figure i might as well put out my other questions/issues for comment/criticism/instruction...

so, the skimmer is still performing pretty well, given all the imperfect conditions i'm putting it in (especially with the constantly fluctuating water level due to not having an ATO).

as i mentioned, i wanted to quiet down the slurping from the air intake with a piece of foam, but that didn't work. So, I ended up just taking the silencer from the stock skimmer and sticking it on the air intake. that quieted it right down. however, i can't tell if that's affecting bubble size or skimmate production. should it?

one other thing i am concerned about is that i seem to be getting a fair amount of turbulence in the skimmer body. is there something i can do to help that? i don't want it to negatively impact my skimmate production potential, if there's something i can do to improve it.

Hey tim, just replied to your PM. i forgot to take note on the silencer.

did you notice any change when you put the silencer on? a dramatic reduction of bubble production? or a sudden increase of movement inside the skimmer? it could be the silencer is reducing the airflow. i would try a larger silencer with bigger holes to see if that helps.

also i agree with you on the sump. they should really rethink their design and have at lease one chamber with a constant water level especially if there is a skimmer in the equation.

Hey tim, just replied to your PM. i forgot to take note on the silencer.

did you notice any change when you put the silencer on? a dramatic reduction of bubble production? or a sudden increase of movement inside the skimmer? it could be the silencer is reducing the airflow. i would try a larger silencer with bigger holes to see if that helps.

also i agree with you on the sump. they should really rethink their design and have at lease one chamber with a constant water level especially if there is a skimmer in the equation.

thanks for the insight!

nah, i just had an extra one from cadlights (from where the first one they sent had a tiny crack in it).

also, just bought a Tunze 1073.040 to replace the stock return pump -- not the eheim 1262 that i had been considering, but got a good price ($80 shipped), and it still has 792gph using only 41 watts -- supposed to be dead quiet, too. so, we'll see how it goes.

also, just bought a Tunze 1073.040 to replace the stock return pump -- not the eheim 1262 that i had been considering, but got a good price ($80 shipped), and it still has 792gph using only 41 watts -- supposed to be dead quiet, too. so, we'll see how it goes.

Definitely interested in your feedback on this. Gotta get rid of that constant hum.

Picking up a new addition this evening... about to add some color to the tank!

Still haven't taken any good pictures as I'm still waiting to receive my nimble nano... but it should be here any day.

By the way, how come none of you have purchased my sump/skimmer/return pump over in the hardware classifieds?

The return pump for the pro is not the same as the one for the sig, right? Mine doesn't make any noise that I can hear (on the sig).

i'm not sure what the return pump is on the sig -- i'd doubt they are the same, though, as I don't know how the pro return pump would fit in the sig's back chambers. it's a pretty decent size, taking up a good portion of its chamber in the sump. it's definitely got a deep hum to it, but it's not awful. having said that, you can hear it, which is why i'm selling it for cheap. hopefully someone comes along who has a use for it.

How is the new skimmer? I've got the stock skimmer that came with my 39 gallon pro and it never produces enough skimmate (ws). Does the water level have to be high all the time to produce any waste? Was thinking of purchasing the new skimmer being offered by Eddie.

Picking up a new addition this evening... about to add some color to the tank!

Still haven't taken any good pictures as I'm still waiting to receive my nimble nano... but it should be here any day.

By the way, how come none of you have purchased my sump/skimmer/return pump over in the hardware classifieds?

i'm not sure what the return pump is on the sig -- i'd doubt they are the same, though, as I don't know how the pro return pump would fit in the sig's back chambers. it's a pretty decent size, taking up a good portion of its chamber in the sump. it's definitely got a deep hum to it, but it's not awful. having said that, you can hear it, which is why i'm selling it for cheap. hopefully someone comes along who has a use for it.

How is the new skimmer? I've got the stock skimmer that came with my 39 gallon pro and it never produces enough skimmate (ws). Does the water level have to be high all the time to produce any waste? Was thinking of purchasing the new skimmer being offered by Eddie.

you do need to work to keep a constant water level in your sump to get consistent skimmer production. 7.5-8" is probably appropriate. i really didn't have trouble getting good production when i kept water levels around there. it did take a week or two for the pump to completely break-in. how stocked is your tank? are you plugged into a GFCI outlet?

What fish did you end up buying?

still a secret.... :ninja:

USPS tracking number says my Nimble Nano shipped 10/26, but it hasn't updated since then. it still hasn't arrived. :angry:

my glass is in bad shape. i might need to give it a manual cleaning, which makes me angry, because i LOVE my bluespot, Jaws, and i've been unable to get good pictures of him with all the algae on the glass. he's always doing something funny (yesterday he was belly-dancing in the middle of the tank! for like 2 minutes!). i have managed to get some interesting pictures of him, but they're not in sharp focus (i have to use manual focus to get past the "algae" focusing, and for whatever reason my 18-135mm lens doesn't have any kind of manual focus assist like other lenses do to let you know when something's in focus). :huh:

Let there be rejoicing -- my ULTRA Nimble Nano (I don't know if that's what it'd be called, but it's bigger than a Super Nimble), which shipped on October 26, has finally arrived! omgomgomg

PICS OF JAWS THE BLUESPOT JAWFISH, A CLEAN(ER) TANK, MY NEW ADDITION AND MORE ARE FORTHCOMING... omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

picture time, ladies!

before the nimble nano:

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

some pre-nimble jaws pics (Jaws flexing):

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

and now... fish pics with a clean tank!

Chompers!

DSC_0068.jpg

Jaws!

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

and now, the new addition... Grommet the Royal Gramma!!

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

I somehow neglected to get a FTS after cleaning the tank, but the Nimble Nano from Jerome absolutely dominated the thick algae on my tank glass... it's great. even gets, somehow, the curved corners. absolutely awesome.

my wife and fish are now very happy. :D

i'll get an updated 'clean tank' FTS soon.

Nice fish Tim. It always amazes me how dark Blue Spots get when theyre stressed or newly introduced to a tank.But he'll color back up in no time.

thanks E!

my bluespot does look a little dark in those pictures, but it might be due to the flash. he really has never been very 'yellow' though like some other bluespots. he's colorful, but he's been fairly dark ever since he's been in the tank. i don't think he's stressed, as far as i can tell -- he's very active, inquisitive, and comes out into the open frequently. his tunnel series is right in front of the tank, which is great.

my wife and i love him :D

Looks great :D

What are your plans for corals?

well, in a perfect world, i want to keep misc. SPS, acans and ricordea florida. i'd also like to keep a maxima clam. however, i don't know if the flow/water parameter requirements in such a small tank would limit my ability to keep that kind of mixed reef successfully.

another limitation is the money that i have to spend on the necessary equipment to keep "higher difficulty" corals.

for instance, i don't have any additional powerheads for flow at this time (which i really need, as i have definite dead spots that have led to detritus settlement and algae outbreaks). i could buy a couple koralias, but i'm already running a little warm. so, i'm waiting to see whether a vortech arrives for christmas (come ooooooon Santa). :D on the other hand, maybe i just need to bite the bullet and get some extra flow in there -- or maybe one of those hydor oscillating things to plug into the end of the loclines.

as i said, i am still running a little warm (~81.4 is my average temp these days) -- this may be fixable by replacing my return pump (the tunze 1073.040 i thought i bought didn't work out), but it may require a chiller. i also think i need to have an ATO in place before I get any sensitive corals.

the net effect here is, it's going to be a "slow and steady" project.

Well, it's a good idea to get the equipment in order before adding the demaning corals, that's for sure :) But Rricordias and zoas should be fine for now :)

On the topic of the Vortech, I considered downgrading to an MP10, but after my sandbed settled in, I find that I can turn the MP40 to full blast and just barely move the sand. Now that is a lot of flow! I typically leave the MP40 at around 50-60%, but it is good to have the extra flow available for kicking up stuff every once in a while. So basically, I don't know if an MP10 is adequate for these tanks (and mine is a sig, so smaller volume); I would definitley spring for the MP20 or 40, which you can use in the future if you ever get a larger tank, as well.

Well, it's a good idea to get the equipment in order before adding the demaning corals, that's for sure :) But Rricordias and zoas should be fine for now :)

On the topic of the Vortech, I considered downgrading to an MP10, but after my sandbed settled in, I find that I can turn the MP40 to full blast and just barely move the sand. Now that is a lot of flow! I typically leave the MP40 at around 50-60%, but it is good to have the extra flow available for kicking up stuff every once in a while. So basically, I don't know if an MP10 is adequate for these tanks (and mine is a sig, so smaller volume); I would definitley spring for the MP20 or 40, which you can use in the future if you ever get a larger tank, as well.

i think you're right on about the mp10 vs. the mp20. having the ability to dial it back, there seems to be very little reason not to go mp20.

i will tell you, i am very nervous that when i have the vortech going, it is going to wreak havoc on my overflow/durso -- not a problem you have to deal with, lucky for you. :) but, for me, i was up for an hour and a half night-before-last just trying to silence the flippin' thing. very, very annoying when it starts gurgling/gargling/sucking/etc. and you can't get it to stop. i just fear that, with a variable amount of water being washed into that overflow, it's going to make that drain do crazy things. i will be homicidal/suicidal if that happens.

note to people buying the cad pro for their bedroom: prepare to upgrade equipment, possibly modify or replace the durso, and investing in earplugs -- good earplugs.

Yeah, dursos are old school. For my 90g, I used a herbie style overflow, which I highly recommend. Dead silent and it incorporates a failsafe against flooding the display.

Yeah, dursos are old school. For my 90g, I used a herbie style overflow, which I highly recommend. Dead silent and it incorporates a failsafe against flooding the display.

... herbie? i'm not sure i've heard of this. i'm afraid this is my first crack at this whole "plumbing" thing.

is that something i could do in my overflow? would it fix my crazy gurgling/hiccuping issues?

Archived