Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Evilc66's Oceanic 30g Cube

evilc66

Thanks. I'm digging it too. First time I've used dry rock, and it's so nice not to be under the gun to get everything wet to minimize die-off. It allowed me to experiment with the rock a lot more. I will definitely be using dry rock again in the future.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanofreak79
Gonna do a parameter check tonight and see how things are looking. If everything is on the down swing, then I may be making an order with Reef Cleaners in the next few days. Really wish they would carry Astrea snails. I know that many don't like them due to the fact that they don't self right themselves after falling over, but they have always been great algae eaters for me. Will probably go to the LFS and pick some up anyway.

Yep, if he could stock trochus and astria snails that would be great. I ordered from john recently, and then just went to LFS for the others.

bpounds1991

My first shipment of dry rock comes in sometime late this week/early next week and I'm definitely excited. Back when I was steadily reefing it was always live rock live rock live rock absolutely no dry, now it's completely flipped lol.

Nanofreak79
Thanks. I'm digging it too. First time I've used dry rock, and it's so nice not to be under the gun to get everything wet to minimize die-off. It allowed me to experiment with the rock a lot more. I will definitely be using dry rock again in the future.

Same here. Haven't used cured rock for a long time, besides maybe a seed piece.

It is funny how "standards" change in this hobby. Just think, about 10 years ago no one thought that LEDs would work over a reef, and look at it now.

Nanofreak79
What, you mean LEDs can grow corals? I'm calling BS. :P

Hahaha, finally! I have to admit I like LEDs very much, but have gone back to T5's and soon some actinics for that "pop" that I miss. I've seen plenty of nice tanks with only LEDs, just not mine ;)

It's starting to become a lot easier to get a good looking LED setup now that we are understanding the setup more and more. More readily available colors, and cheap drivers and controllers are helping with this situation too. Right now though, there is still something missing from the look of LEDs compared to T5 and MH. It won't be long though before we have it pegged.

Nanofreak79

LEDs have come a long way in just a short amount of time. I still feel my LEDs had the look I wanted, but I'm just having better luck going back to the Stone Age :) I'm deffinetly not an led hater by any means.

Well, LEDs are going to be around for a while one way or the other, and will only get better with time. There are some other technologies that hold some promise, including OLED (got a ways to go with that one), and plasma. I know plasma has been around for a while already, but no one has had the balls to come up with their own spectrum specifically for reef use. While the 5000K braod spectrum light is great for growing plants, no one wants to put up with it for a reef. It has so much potential though.

• 4 weeks later...

So, it's been a while since I have posted anything on this thread. Most of the delay was waiting for the cycle to finish, and then for the first few corals to open once I put them in the tank. Everything seems to be doing well now, and everything is open. Gonna try and get some pictures tonight with the DSLR and will post soon.

Initial reports on the WP-10 pumps is good. Zero noise, lots of flow. Can't beat that. With the two pumps on different controllers, the flow is very random, which is why I wanted two. I don't think I would ever want the dual pump controller because of this.

This update is pretty useless without pictures.

Also are you making it to the Plymouth swap? I will be at table 9 with caviar corals. I'd love to finally meet the led master

Yeah, I know. Pretty weak.

I'll try and make it out to the swap. Always a fun time to see people and tasty corals :)

I'm really digging the zoas in the first shot. They were in the $15 frag tank at the LFS and had an unusual pattern. I'm hoping they continue that way. I'm really itching to start getting some sps frags, but I want the tank to mature a little more before putting them in. I have two scollys and a lobo in another tank that I want to put in here, but I need to make sure that they are free of pests before they enter this tank.

The guy I got the frags on the pink plugs from has some fantastic stock. I picked them up a few days ago and could have done some serious damage to the bank account, but I need to restrain myself. Won't have any room for the corals to grow out if I keep adding too many :)

Nanofreak79

That's cool to have local connections to hot coral. Not to mention some good deals. Grow out room? What's that? Tanks looking real nice.

Yeah, I know. Pretty weak.

I'll try and make it out to the swap. Always a fun time to see people and tasty corals :)

I think you need to. From the looks of it you need at least one or 2 more corals in there :D

That's cool to have local connections to hot coral. Not to mention some good deals. Grow out room? What's that? Tanks looking real nice.

He started it as a spinoff from his tank maintenance business a few years ago. Lots of his clients were asking him to get corals for them, so he figured why not start selling full time. He had a bit of a set back last year when a fish died in the system causing it to crash and he decided to not carry corals any more (I was bummed, as he had some awesome zoas he was growing out that I wanted bad). Of course, the itch was too strong, and he's back at it. He's really got some nice stuff right now.

I think you need to. From the looks of it you need at least one or 2 more corals in there :D

You think so huh? ;) Any suggestions? Sky is the limit (within financial reason) on this tank.

Looking good. Nice pics.

Tank looks good - looks like you're off to a great start!

Thanks everyone.

AWWWW yea!

-D

YEAH BOOOOOIEEEEEE!!!! :lol:

I'm really digging the zoas in the first shot. They were in the $15 frag tank at the LFS and had an unusual pattern.

There is a name for these.... Im wracking my brain trying to think of it. They are a whammin watermelon morph that is pretty damn sweet and can fetch a decent frag price.

Good to see you with a wet tank clive :)

I've seen them before too. Pretty sure I even had a frag at one time.

My tanks have always been wet. Just not necessarily in the best shape, or documented on this site. I have about 6 LED designs that I'm working on right now that have a tendency to draw my attention away from my tanks. Either way, I'm excited about this one, and it's getting me excited about my other tanks too.

Archived