Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Santa Cruz 20 long- broken down =[

cruzH20polo

I absolutly wanted a 40b for the past few years as my dream reef tank, however I recently saw 60 breeder build that blew my mind and got me thinking about tanks down the line

I love 40b's too. Been thinking about starting a 40b instead of moving my Solana. Only problem is that I know nothing about plumbing and overflows/drilling.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cruzH20polo

Theres tons of plumbing walkthroughs on this site ... its not that difficult id say go for it! :D

I just placed the order for:

new T5's, 2X ati aqua blue plus, 1x ati aqua blue special, 1x giesemen midday

2X 1/2" threaded bulkheads (1 for return for the 29 aga, and 1 for the overflow for the 5.5 aga)

1x 3/4" threaded bulkhead for the overflow for the 29 aga

now I just need to get the tanks/ get em drilled, and plumb, and redo the sump, and build the rubbermaid holding tank/fuge ... and then pack and move ...

excited about the order ... not excited about the move

cruzH20polo

latte- me too! I got bone cutters so after the move ill get a piece of that ponape and maybe the bali by that time, its starting to spit out 2 branches!

ok ... items completed

Got old my transfer rubbermaid containers that ive used in the past out from the garage and gave them a good vinegar/ ro/di rinse

I got a new 16 gal rubbermaid that im going to keep the coral and fish in for the few days its gonna take me to finish getting the tank together and plumbed. during this down time ill will be using my 20l as a fuge/sump

tundrashaul

sounds like your well prepared for the move so hopefully it goes smooth, good luck.

this new tank is going to be good, i can feel it.

cruzH20polo

i just finished making an powerpoint mock up for the new tank concept!

tmo's todo list

watch the netherlands win

post said mock up plans with an explination

plumb the rubber maid to drain into the 20l

make frag racks for the rubbermaid

I still need to locate a cheap 29 gallon aga if anyone has one near santa cruz let me know!

cruzH20polo

so

here's the plans

Slide1.jpg

Im going to try to keep as little live rock as I can in the display tank, I've really enjoyed looking at tanks which have a minimalist approach, i feel it makes the tank look clean and neat. As terms of flow, this a going to be a unidirectional flow ( all the water will be coming from the right side of the tank moving to the left. Higher flow sps and zoa will be rightin the stream from the vortech and the return (acans are lowere and out of the main blast from the pumps), rics/shrooms/chaliaces in the middle with more medium flow, and last the euphyillas on the leff with lower flow. and as always the caps will be in the overflow box.

any ideas or suggestions

cruzH20polo

OK ... holding tank plumbed!!

heres the build

start ... materials

IMG_1188.jpg

hole drilled and barb fitting in place

IMG_1189.jpg

overflowed

IMG_1192.jpg

external plumbing

IMG_1194.jpg

ta da

IMG_1195.jpg

cruzH20polo

haha thanks

I've got the racks for the holding tank drying as i type

and I located a 29 gallon tank that was already used as a reef tank ... should be able to pick it up tues or wed the goal for this up coming week, is to get the tank and get it drilled, by that time my bulkheads should be in!

I've decided that instead of building an overflow box, im just gonna take the one from the hob eshopps that im using currently and drill it =]

cruzH20polo

Pretty stoked about it

who knows I might have to test it out in the 20l before I move

the only bad thing is it's not the Eco smart driver but oh well I like deals

cruzH20polo
so how long after you set up the 29 will it take you to set the 20l back up

never ....

Ok that's a lie, but deff awhile, all current funds are going into the upgrade, then the next move is to get the 5.5 grow out/frag tank, and I'm in college so I do move

from time to time, and I have a frilled dragon and a f/w which I don't think I'm gonna keep after the move

it's not the time in my life for lots and/or big tanks

but believe me, Ive got plans

boosted chemist

sweet man, whats your pump ratings? I got a mag 5 at my head, it should be 370 gph while the box is 300gph, how did you regulate this or does it all just find an equilibrium and balance out?

Also idk if u got my email, thanks for the sump specs, i think im going to build mine the same.

cruzH20polo
Can't wait to see it. Sounds well planned out!

A well planned tank is a happy tank, and easier to maintain :lol:

Making a lot of progress. looking good, cant wait to see that plan play out on scape and placement!!!

Me to!!!

wow, i've never seen this tank. i'll have to check out your thread more. i love your ricordea!

I see you've started your ric collection as well, and you've got a great start on the sps it'll look so crazy when it all grows out!

sweet man, whats your pump ratings? I got a mag 5 at my head, it should be 370 gph while the box is 300gph, how did you regulate this or does it all just find an equilibrium and balance out?

Also idk if u got my email, thanks for the sump specs, i think im going to build mine the same.

I use a rio 2500, after the 6 ft of pvc and i put an unregulated split in the return

it puts me right about 200 gph, you could always put a ball valve in the return line to adjust the gph, but that leads to pumps burning out faster. You could split the return line and have 2 return outlets

and no I didnt Ill check to see if it got sent to spam section

I need some ideas on how to make the branch on the for the 29 for the zoas and sps

I can't really find anything around here that peaks my interest, I was thinking about talking some the rock that in my tank now, and taking a hammer flat head screw driver and dremel, and break apart the rock and some what shape parts of it, then epoxy it together

anyone have any ideas?

tundrashaul

Prime picked tonga branch rock, would look pretty cool, i see a lot of it but nothing you can really do anything with since its all broken into small pieces. But Ya'll aught to have some nicer pieces on the west coast. The Vortec eco smart driver doesnt seem to do anything more than the original, unless you have multipe pumps, im thinking of adding another one but not the ES driver. the first one i got isnt wireless either

Archived