Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hydor Koralia NANO Magnet Warning

Professor

I believe it is actually nickle plated not zinc.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. Can you confirm?

-Prof

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tanque Verde
Holllllllllllllllllllly ####.

nanomagnets.jpg

I just opened mine, and they look almost identical to this, even down to the red dot on the left magnet. Lots of little squiggly lines and black blobs that appear to be part of the production process. Lots of rust color, but I am not certain whether there is any actual rust. My nanos have been out of the tank since last Tuesday, when my Aquapod sprang a leak. Both the magnets were wet.

Zinc would be very bad. Nickle would be fine, but based on the pictures, it almost looks like there is a lacquer coating over the magnet that ruptured.

I looked at both of my nanos, and while neither were rusty, both were different. The unit that I bought over a year ago has the same silver look to it with the lacquer coating. The newer one purchased less than 6 months ago looks like it has a black epoxy coating on it. Hydor has definitely changed the design, it's now a matter of when, and if it was consistent from that point on. It could be something as simple as a change in supplier to meet demand that got the different coating on the magnet. Who knows.

Zinc would be very bad. Nickle would be fine, but based on the pictures, it almost looks like there is a lacquer coating over the magnet that ruptured.

I looked at both of my nanos, and while neither were rusty, both were different. The unit that I bought over a year ago has the same silver look to it with the lacquer coating. The newer one purchased less than 6 months ago looks like it has a black epoxy coating on it. Hydor has definitely changed the design, it's now a matter of when, and if it was consistent from that point on. It could be something as simple as a change in supplier to meet demand that got the different coating on the magnet. Who knows.

It sounds like a change has been made by Hydor which is good news. My coating is the silver looking lacquer you describe.

I agree that zinc would be very bad. I hope it is something else.

-Prof

Both of mine have some rust on them. They are at least a yr old, I also have problems with them not wanting to restart after be cut off for feeding. I have to give them a thump, they have been like that since they were new though. Both say 19501 729

0729091940a.jpg

0729091940b.jpg

0729091940c.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics. I only have my iphone with me. Yes there is rust on mine also. I think they were purchased around August last year. Each was in a different tank and I took both tanks down about three weeks ago and they were both still wet on the inside. Of those who have read this thread and checked most have found rust. I don't know much about statistics but seems high for a random lot of pumps. I agree with OP, Stevie, Evil there is no need to jump to conclusions.

photo-20.jpg

photo-19.jpg

Tanque Verde
I also have problems with them not wanting to restart after be cut off for feeding. I have to give them a thump, they have been like that since they were new though.

+1

What's with the red spots? :huh:

I was going to ask that too. I have noticed that on several peoples pics.....

-Prof

hmmmmmm, interesting, seems that maybe a certain batch has a defective coating. Im glad hydro is posting and looking into this. I did not have a chance to look at mine yet, but I will.

Hydro rep, I do not think the intent of this thread was to bash Hydro or your products in anyway. I do however see any issue with THESE certain Koralia Nano's.

I have some additional information to share:

The Rep for Hydor contacted me via PM and has asked that I send the rusted magnet to him. Apparently he has already contacted the techs in Italy and they would like to have the rusted magnet for analysis. He also offered to swap my Nano for a K-1 if I felt uncomfortable with the Nano. I declined as I don't feel it is necessary but I thought it was a generous gesture (particulary as my Nano is probably way out of warranty) and I believe it shows excellent customer service. I truly believe they are taking this issue seriously.

I have agreed to send back the rusted magnet in a effort to help them troubleshoot the problem but plan to keep the other one so I can work out a fix for any that wish to try it. I have an idea that should be both simple and easy I am going to try this weekend.

I have also asked if he could provide additional info on the make, model and manufacturer of the magnet so I can look into what components it might contain. I have not heard back from him on that yet.

-Prof

In some of these pictures the brown color looks very even. Profs magnified picture is more clear and shows blistering. But I am wondering if this "brown" in the other pics is really rust. Hard to tell from here especially iphone pics ;)

I would think that the oxidation would cover up the red dot and the blue fibers or whatever they are.

Its hard to tell from the pics but the "rust" is under the clear coat while the red dot is on top of it on mine. The "blue" fibers are actually where the corrosion has bubbled up the clear coat.

Yes red dot is on top of the coating on mine. The coating gives it a smooth look but it is rusted underneath. If you look at the magnets from the outside units they are clear without any change in surface color. Mine are only 9 months old and you can see the rusting but isn't as bad as OP's at 18 months. I imagine that is where it would go with enough time with the coating eventually cracking completely off. I would be leary of "fixing" the issue as the rust is already started and would continue with any additional coating. Perhaps if you sanded to a good clean surface then recoated you would be ok. I think the easiest would be for Hydor to issue a recall if they suspect a certain lot at fault and just replace the magnets. I've had very good luck with Hydor in the past. I agree with everyone that no blame needs to be past. They will fix it if there is a problem. Shows tremendous customer service that they are engaging us here in on this site. Great work Hydor!

Steve

Shows tremendous customer service that they are engaging us here in on this site. Great work Hydor!

Fully agreed. A company that speaks directly to it's customers through a public forum regarding a potential issue is a company that I want to do business with. Kudos to Hydor for stepping up and commenting.

What's with the red spots? :huh:

Red dots on magnets are usually for polarity identification.

Correct Evil. The red dot marks the polarity. On the black coated ones its a white dot.

Both of mine have some rust on them. They are at least a yr old, I also have problems with them not wanting to restart after be cut off for feeding. I have to give them a thump, they have been like that since they were new though. Both say 19501 729

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest you take the nano apart. Remove the impeller from the shaft and clean the shaft and impeller in freshwater. Them reassemble it and run it in freshwater for about five minutes. If you want, you can add some vinegar to the water.

Typically, when impellers do not restart its because there is build up on the shaft or on the inner impeller surface.

If you still can't get it to run smooth get ahold of Hydor Customer Service.

corallineadam

hydor customer service rocks!! theyre sending me all new magnets :D they really do aim to please the customer, unlike some unnamed companies customer service depts....

Like Bonsai said, Hydor deserves great kudos for stepping up to the plate here. This shows the true quality of a company.

The unit that I bought over a year ago has the same silver look to it with the lacquer coating. The newer one purchased less than 6 months ago looks like it has a black epoxy coating on it. Hydor has definitely changed the design, it's now a matter of when, and if it was consistent from that point on. It could be something as simple as a change in supplier to meet demand that got the different coating on the magnet. Who knows.

There are actually 4 versions of the Nano magnet. There is a "gun-metal gray" version, a silver version, and 2 black versions. The "gun-metal gray" version is the oldest version from back in 2007. It was used in the original release of the nano. It has a protective coating which prevents corrosion. The few pictures of rusty magnets that I have seen, have all been this version original version. The "squigly lines" some people have noticed actually appear to be animal damage, caused by what look like small worm-like critters.

I still dont feel that the "rust" people are seeing negatively impacts livestock, but if you would like, I can provide you with the newest version of the magnet. It is nickle plated and sealed in plastic. These magnets are already on their way from Italy. Please send your request via email to customer service via our website if you wish to exercise this option.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Sincerely

Hydor Customer Service

Archived