inTank Media Baskets

Hydor Koralia NANO Magnet Warning

Professor

Very possible Stevie. Looking forward to installing my Vortech :D

-Prof

about 1000x better than the koralia. I am waiting on parts for my vortech (bad from the factory) so I had to go back to the koralia while waiting the few day. You really notice the difference then.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very

Very

Interesting...

WOAH

That's a crazy realization. I have a Koralia Nano in my BioCube 8 ... I've never been happy with the coral in that tank, everything just kind of looks ... eh. Not great. Corals in my BioCube 29 are awesome, and that tank is running a Koralia 2.

When I get to the office tomorrow, the first thing I'm going to do is check the Koralia Magnets. In my case, both magnets are "wet" as I have the Koralia Nano positioned opposite of the output pump ... on Chamber One.

Damn - this would be a great fix to my problems.

you suck..... :angry:

i just bought one.....where were you a week ago?

got mine in the mail today :mellow:

Prof, when did you purchase your koralia nano? I'm wondering if they have corrected this in more recently manufactured pumps... I bought 2 Koralia 1's and I seem to recall that the wet-side magnets were sealed with something other than the suction cup (actually I recall that the whole magnet was epoxy coated). I'll take it apart tomorrow when I clean and take some pics to be sure.

yeah, i just got my koralia 2 today, and when i read this checked it out. the whole wet and dry side of the magnet where covered, with no room for water leakage. they must have changed the design :happy: which is good for people still purchasing! oh, and for people that just got theirs in the mail! :lol:

WOAH

That's a crazy realization. I have a Koralia Nano in my BioCube 8 ... I've never been happy with the coral in that tank, everything just kind of looks ... eh. Not great. Corals in my BioCube 29 are awesome, and that tank is running a Koralia 2.

When I get to the office tomorrow, the first thing I'm going to do is check the Koralia Magnets. In my case, both magnets are "wet" as I have the Koralia Nano positioned opposite of the output pump ... on Chamber One.

Damn - this would be a great fix to my problems.

Hope you found your smoking gun!

got mine in the mail today :mellow:

yeah, i just got my koralia 2 today, and when i read this checked it out. the whole wet and dry side of the magnet where covered, with no room for water leakage. they must have changed the design :happy: which is good for people still purchasing! oh, and for people that just got theirs in the mail! :lol:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like they made a change. Quick question. Did you actually pop the magnet out of the suction cup and inspect the back of it?

I wonder if this is an issue only with the Nano?

-Prof

i wonder how many NR'ers went and checked their koralias after reading this

Hopefully a lot did. I posted my experience so other reefer's would be informed and could check their gear and take whatever corrective they deem necessary.

-Prof

Okay, how do you pop these puppies outta there?

I'm trying to get my K1 magnet out of the wet side and I can't get it out.

Is there a trick to it?

Okay, how do you pop these puppies outta there?

I'm trying to get my K1 magnet out of the wet side and I can't get it out.

Is there a trick to it?

Not really, the rubber covers just flexes off and the magnet pops out.

Thanks Prof, I'll check mine tonight.

This only applies to older model nano's, correct?

I have a K1 that is sealed. Better check my nano, though. Thanks for the info.

second definition of Granular Ferric Oxide which we use for phosphate removal in our aquariums

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ferric+oxide

simply put we use rust and is safe in aquariums as long as it is controlled. if i'm wrong i'm sure someone will let me know but that is why i stated it shouldn't matter too much. ;)

I just did a study on this in ocean systems for my university geology class. Rusting iron and Ferric Oxide and other emissions from rusting ships are actually beneficial to the ocean. We even experimented with similar concentrations as the iron:tank ratio that you're suggesting. Interestingly, the tanks we used were able to convert concentrations up to 1:15 before any side effects were noticed or measured. No damsels were hurt in the making of this post haha

Very thorough report though, i really appreciate these kinds of discussions! Anyone else?

The Koralia Nano might be in a soft plastic cover, but the Koralia 1 magnet is not.

It's seated in a hard plastic dealie and I can't get it out to check it.

I'd really like to though, cause I've had lots of tank issues for a while, and I'd very much like to know if this has anything to do with it.

Nick's Reef

The k2's i have are sealed, the magnets are inside the plastic pieces as you said but they have a piece of rubber covering the other side. I guess I just have the new ones.

I just check my Nano and had the same problem. I just removed the magnet and am now using just the suction cup. My K1 has the hard plastic cover you speak of and i also couldnt get mine out. Hopefully it has the same cover on the back...

Nick's Reef

Well my dad's nano is out of bussiness. He had one in his 75 to just get flow behind the rocks and it's rusted. I just pulled it out.

Edited title per Bonsai's suggestion -this appears to be a K-Nano issue.

-Prof

Huh... guess I need to check mine. :mellow:

Has anybody contacted Hydor about this?

Not yet Lani. I plan to email them my concerns this evening now that I have confirmation that my issue was not an isolated incident.

-Prof

Archived