inTank Media Baskets

Markushka's 20Hex

Markushka

well very different is right. I lost the nem (just disintegrated, like they always do, no traces left.) that was in here while I was in the city, and i'm guessing it bombed my tank. the blue stag milli that I had started to RTN all of the sudden, and all of my other SPS are looking bad except for the monti (which has seen some good growth). I got another birds nest frag from Bird and the f****** damsels all started picking at it. A ~10% WC & a bag of carbon later, everything is stabilizing I hope. more water changes to come today and tomorrow. no pics till I stop hating my tank.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And some more bad news :o .... one of the return hoses I use disconnected from the u tube going to the HOB fuge and dumped ~5 gallons of water onto the floor. (This forced a WC <_< ) Good thing the tank is in the basement, there was nowhere for it to leak further (happened once when it was still freshwater and on the second floor, wasn't pretty.) Luckily it seems I caught it before the sump light dried the chaeto out, and there was enough water for the banished clown.

This also gave me a reason to take out the MJ with the broken impeller (somehow the magnet on the impeller split in two :huh: ) so now the tank is running at half steam while I wait for the replacement impeller and figure out how to secure the return line.

I don't believe there were any casualties as a result of this incident. however some of the sps are still RTNing.

I am glad I was home when this happened, but this makes me more uncomfortable leaving it when I go back to campus :scarry: Gonna have to work on making it more stable.

And some good news... The experimental skimmer is running and just need some tweaking before its all set to go.

Its been an eventful past few day -_-

I'll give it a shot when all the tweaking is said and done. there are a few bugs that would require making a fresh one and if they annoy me enough I'll make version 2.0 sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

more bad news, my sixline jumped today :tears: I took pics but i've been to lazy to process them. there's no motivation when they're crappy anyway. I'll get around to them eventually once I figure out this gimp thing.

It's my first casualty in this tank as far as fish go, second over all fish wise. I've had a good record. And the wrasse was probably my favorite fish in the tank, he was the only one I was planning on keeping. :ironic: I will try another one once all the damn damsels are out.

Damn sorry to hear all that. I have a fear of one of my hoses or my tank failing and dumping 25 gallons of saltwater on my hardwoods and losing everything in my tank :(

Sorry about the Wrasse, sixlines are awesome when they are small, as they get bigger they become real jackasses. I wish mine would find a way to jump out :) too bad the tank is too sealed off for my eel.

I'd take him off your hands if I wasn't all the way across the country. he was going to be the only inhabitant after all the other fish were sold off. guess not now.

Maybe i'll go fish-less for a while... or get that fuzzy dwarf lion i've always wanted... no sense moping, time to consider all the new opportunities...

And I guess a pic update is long over due, as well as progress on that skimmer of mine. Got time tomorrow. Lets see what I'll get done.

Ok i'll let you guys in on a little secret, I've got an order coming in round late april form one of the chaps on here. but thats all the info you get for now. just a teaser for ya :P

Took some pics, too late tonight to process them, i'll put em up tomorrow or friday. So things are looking better now, hope my lucks a-changin'

so here are some quick pictures, no editing.

FTS series from left to right:

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

Family portrait:

DSC_0039.JPG

the rock work fell apart, but I put it back together pretty much the same way, the corals were shifted a bit but are in the same general place.

now my question is what other corals should I get and where should I put them?

I'm planning on getting a clam or two for the sand bed eventually and a torch would be nice too.

I'm also not a fan of rics, dunno why. I try to keep everything from the pacific, I'd like to keep it as close to a biotype as possible. would like to hear all of your suggestions.

foxface in 20 gallons = cruel.

So I don't have to retype it again....

I'm sorry if I didn't catch the answer, but what is the future of your foxface looking like? Is he going in a larger tank or are you upgrading? Again, sorry if you already answered.

I was thinking of upgrading at one point, but I don't have the funds yet. so i think thats out.

Next semestre I may be moving away to college so i'm thinking of selling/giving/trading away most of my fish and leaving the coral.

[...]

He's not too big yet, only about 4-5 inches but I may be looking for a new home for him sooner than next semestre. a 20hex is not enough room for a foxface. you can come and pick him up if you want, its not that long of a drive :D

Yeah I mention it somewhere on the first page. He was a rescue from the LFS I worked at when the store closed.

[...]

Violinist consider [the foxface] yours then. Now you have more reason to set up that bigger tank :)

[...]

I've been thinking about a torch, just where to put it? and I'll have to wait until I see someone selling it online, my LFS doesn't carry any good coral.

thanks mgdmirage, i'm actually in the process of selling/giving away the fish, this used to be quite an aggressive tank, but the damsels piss me off now. If I put fish in afterwards, i'll go the peaceful route.

... or lionfish :)

• 2 weeks later...

not much new here, have two orders of coral coming in soon! One is coming sometime next week, and the other sometime round mid-may. I'm exited :haha: can't wait till they get here!

• 2 weeks later...
Markushka

First order's in, gotta do a massive WC and clean the glass first. Hopefully i'll get it all done tomorrow.

Archived