Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Markushka's 20Hex

Markushka

after skimming this thread by santa monica, I am going to rethink my filtration system. I am not going to completely remove the algae screen I use as I think it helps, but it's going to be supplemental to other filtration methods. I'll be looking into some cheato and maybe even a skimmer...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, I've been convinced based on my readings that my current approach may not working best, so I'm going to go back to the drawing board and see what improvements I can make.

I was thinking about doing a DIY counter-current skimmer and was wondering if connecting its input to the overflow would be a good idea... Wouldn't it then have all the water that goes thru my system going through it, making for better skimming rather than just skimming the sump water? am I completely off here? I have never had a skimmer and wanna give it a try. plus if its liked to my overflow i wont need to add a pump, not that thats a problem i've got a few laying around I could use.

Not sure what you mean by counter-current. My skimmer has an overflow box which all the water goes through to get to the pump. Works well once you find the right height for the box and

never

touch

it

again

by counter-current I mean water flowing opposite the air bubbles. not quite sure what you mean by the box for the skimmer. why do you have the box? pics in your thread?

It's a box with two chambers. Left chamber is where the pump sits and there are two thumbscrews which hold the box in position by clamping against the pump. Top of the left box is notched so the tank water overflows into it. It skims the surface to pull water into the skimmer. Right chamber is where the water returns and there is a little sponge at the bottom to stop microbubbles.

I'll give it a shot this weekend then, I've got a skimmer coming in the post hope it gets here by monday. Looking to take some night shots. off to do that now :)

So today i've gotten around to starting my DIY skimmer build, I'm going to make a countercurrent stand-alone type skimmer and hope its gonna work :). I'll sketch up plans in a sec...

so ms word froze, big surprise. but now i have to start from scratch. :(

So here we are:

Picture3.png

blue arrows are for water

red for air

This is gonna consist of a 1 liter plastic bottle, a 2 liter bottle, airline tubing, 1/2 inch vinyl tubing.

I'm going to use an old whisper air pump and maybe a tetra powerhead, or I could plumb it into my overflow line

I'm sorry if I didn't catch the answer, but what is the future of your foxface looking like? Is he going in a larger tank or are you upgrading? Again, sorry if you already answered.

I'm sorry if I didn't catch the answer, but what is the future of your foxface looking like? Is he going in a larger tank or are you upgrading? Again, sorry if you already answered.

I was thinking of upgrading at one point, but I don't have the funds yet. so it think thats out.

Next semestre I may be moving away to college so i'm thinking of selling/giving/trading away most of my fish and leaving the coral. tho my mom said she'd take care of the fish and doesn't want me to sell them. I sorta doubt she actually will.

He's not too big yet, only about 4-5 inches but I may be looking for a new home for him sooner than next semestre. a 20hex is not enough room for a foxface. you can come and pick him up if you want, its not that long of a drive :D

When is 'next semester'? Fall? I might have a big tank going by the fall...

yep fall, do ya want him? my maroon may be up for grabs, and all the damsels too. I just want to keep the sixline in there.

yep fall, do ya want him?

If I have a large tank going by then, I'd take it sure.

So in a few minutes i'll be posting the progress of my skimmer build, photobucket takes too damn long.

Picasa!

I was thinking of upgrading at one point, but I don't have the funds yet. so it think thats out.

Next semestre I may be moving away to college so i'm thinking of selling/giving/trading away most of my fish and leaving the coral. tho my mom said she'd take care of the fish and doesn't want me to sell them. I sorta doubt she actually will.

He's not too big yet, only about 4-5 inches but I may be looking for a new home for him sooner than next semestre. a 20hex is not enough room for a foxface. you can come and pick him up if you want, its not that long of a drive :D

That's good. I almost fell over when I saw that foxface.

Glad to see you did your research. :)

I would love to have another one, but I already have one in my 65 gallon and I don't think my 20H would be much of an improvement for this guy.

PS: Love the scape, you use the hex's shape well.

Yeah I mention it somewhere on the first page. He was a rescue from the LFS I worked at when the store closed.

thanks for the compliment, I did some minor adjustments, i'm going to put some new pics up when I get around to cleaning the glass.

Violinist consider him yours then. Now you have more reason to set up that bigger tank :)

I guess i'll drop photobucket then, picasa it'll be.

So now for that skimmer. some brief shots.

materials:

DSC_0004-1.jpg

holes: center one's for air line, do you guys think four is enough?

DSC_0003-1.jpg

assembly:

DSC_0012-1.jpg

first water test:

DSC_0014.jpg

for a more detailed build thread go here. Feedback would be nice :)

Archived