SaltCritters.com

Markushka's 20Hex

Markushka

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so i'm holding off on pics till monday, when my parents come back from holiday with the camera. In tank news I got in the black sun corals and they're still looking upset, but they definitely will pull through. I also got a Blue stag, Birds nest and an acro from calvin415. Such awesome frags! and looking very good too. finally there'll be something to look at in the tanks :)

FTS

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

another view

DSC_0005.jpg

Cup coral and foxface

DSC_0007.jpg

New Frags :)

DSC_0008.jpg

Cup Coral Macros

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Mushroom

DSC_0015.jpg

Maroon Clown, Foxface and actinia sp. nem

DSC_0016.jpg

Clown and nem

DSC_0019.jpg

Cup coral again

DSC_0021.jpg

Long Spine Urchin

DSC_0022.jpg

Xenia and Hermit

DSC_0023.jpg

Star Polyp

DSC_0024.jpg

Urchin again

DSC_0026.jpg

Black Sun Coral ( New :) from phishyaly)

DSC_0027.jpg

Longspine and Cup coral

DSC_0028.jpg

Side View

DSC_0029.jpg

It was much worse before, but the foxface and urchin keep it pretty well trimmed, I don't mind it but it's receding thanks to my algae screen in the sump.

And some More pics:

New Frags (from calvin415)

DSC_0030.jpg

Closeup of Acropora and Blue Stag

DSC_0031.jpg

Close up of Birds nest

DSC_0035-1.jpg

What is this orange thing?

DSC_0037-1.jpg

Aptasia?

DSC_0046_2.jpg

What are these? hydroids?

DSC_0057-1.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics above, they are zoomed in, and were in hard to photograph places.

Another FTS from another angle

DSC_0049-1.jpg

HOB fuge

DSC_0050-1.jpg

That rock has a chili coral on it, which likes to be upside-down so its there.

Red Macro Macro (Flame algae?)

DSC_0074-1.jpg

Hey, I thought I would get some info from someone who's actually done it -

I have a hex tank like this, maybe a little larger. It's been running freshwater for about 6 years or so.

The tank stand is matched in shape to the bottom of the tank, which I think from your pics is the same as yours. The glass bottom of the tank is not supported - just the rim of the tank meets the stand all the way around.

Is this how yours is setup? I've been considering converting this tank to a fowlr setup but I'm wondering if setting 15-20 pounds of rock on the glass bottom is wise or if I'd need to modify the stand.

Yeah thats how mine is. I have 15+ pounds of live rock, and 10+ pounds of sand and crushed coral. The bottom glass did say it was tempered and not to drill it, and its been holding up so far.

I've had this tank for 11 years now, and I guess if it was to fail it should have done so already. I guess I would modify the stand if I was starting over as an added precaution and too keep the sump light out, but I hadn't thought about supporting the bottom before.

I think 20-30 pounds you can get away with, but I certainly wouldn't feel safe with more.

Not really much to update here, got a gorg and a monti (didnt make it :tears:) but this tanks been on the back burner for a bit, as i'm training a mandarin to frozen foods ( and am having some success :haha:) I'll have some pics tomorrow.

Hope it works out with the mandarin. How are you training it? Got a pic of it?

I got it at a LFS and it was very thin looking, now I'm feeding it live brine, and added some frozen brine today which it ate some of! I am very exited as it wasn't looking as if I could get it to even look at frozen last week.

Big problem is that my LFS doesn't regularly stock live brine, and I drove about an hour to a not-so-LFS to buy some. I don't want to do that regularly even for the time it takes to train it. I'll try my hand at raising some brine again. I'll take some pics tomorrow during feeding time.

Just finished doing a new aquascape, violinist, I must admit your 20hex scape was my inspiration. as soon as it clears up, i'll be shooting some new pics :)

OK so here we go

New scape :)

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0085-1.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

And with just actinics

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

Oh yeah and I switched the overflow and return fuge around. maybe I can do something cool with it. :)

DSC_0149.jpg

Moar macros on the way. :D (later, I have chem lecture today, need to prepare)

Thanks violinist, it looks even better in person :), I've gotta start taking better photos.

Now for some macros

Foxface

DSC_0120.jpg

Urchin

DSC_0092.jpg

Cup Coral and Azure

DSC_0099.jpg

Maroon clown and yellowtail

DSC_0100.jpg

Best Sixline Pics, he's a quick little bugger

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

New Gorg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

I got some frags form Tanya today, a red monti and a tricolour acro. I'll snap some pic of those later.

haha, yeah, I need to get to that. my mag float doesn't take that stuff off. I'll do some pane by pane shots this week when I scrub the glass.

and those white particles are sand my maroon kick up.

My maroon helping out with the aquascaping <_<

DSC_0114.jpg

Cool tank man! I have a hex that I am trying to figure out what to do with. This is inspirational.

BTW I had a black long spine urchin in a 55 and he ate my Xenia, a starfish, and ALL my purple off my glass(which may be desirable for a hex)

Thanks man, my long spine is annoying me a bit now, hasn't really bothered my xenia but tends to knock my sps frags over. the purple (coralline) is expected to be eaten, after all it's an algae too. do go for a FOLWR with your hex, I think it'd be pretty cool.

Well time for a little update, no pics this time :), snap some more when I get a chance

Just got two banggai's from the LFS, they were 10 a peice, I couldn't resist :D

They are in my 10g QT for now, (trying to determine their gender via aggression) and they're a bit skittish

Also from my QT my mandarin is eating frozen brine finally omgomgomg now to get it to eat other frozen foods... oh and i'll remember to take some pics of him this time violinist

now on to the 20...

(well not yet) I moved out my nem into my QT because it couldnt handle my maroon hosting in it. he wasn't too happy bout that..

I did a little reaquascaping for the second time this week, only the very top part, I wanted a ledge and the cup coral was getting more flow than it liked. I'm liking the look more now, but not entirely right yet..

And it gets better, I got some frags in :happydance: a plating monti, and an acro.

So my livestock list needs updating:

Three-stripe Damsel

2 Yellow-Tail Damsels

1 Springer's Damsel

2 Azure Damsels

Maroon Clown

Foxface

Cinnamon Clown (in Fuge)

Mandarin (in QT)

Actinia sp. nem (in QT)

Longspine Urchin

Six-line Wrasse

3 Mini nems

2 Banggai Cardinals (in QT)

And for Corals:

Green Cup Coral

Asst. Brown Palys

GSP

Xenia

Asst. Mushrooms

Black Sun Polyps

Blue Stag

Acros

Birds nest

Purple Gorg

Red Monti

I think thats it, maybe I forgot something, not looking at the tank and too lazy to check.

Archived