inTank Media Baskets

Vortech MP10 Review

121a

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
Introduction

Well as many of you have already heard Ecotech Marine launched their newest Vortech pump called the MP10. They claim it is ideally suited for nano-reefs (50g and below). It comes with its own controller and the flow can be adjust from 200GPH-1575GPH with the twist of a dial.

There are 5 modes for the pump:

Constant

Lagoon-Random and slow changing

Reef Crest- Random and quick changing

Short pulse (waves)

Long pulse (waves)

Then there is a feed mode and the night mode which is 50% of set speed on constant mode.

The pump when at 100% power uses a nice low 18w and none of that is going to the tank since the motor is outside of the tank.

I will be breaking the review into four parts setup below.

Review

---Ease of Use---

4 out of 5 Stars; The pump is very easy to setup. The modes can be changed with the touch of a button and the flow is adjusted with a dial. Setting up the pump disconnect (to enable error codes, apparently) seems tricky but i have not done it yet. The reason it does not get 5 stars is because i think this should be taken care of before they leave the factory. Night mode is easy to setup, the wave modes are a easy too, but just read the instructions.

---Packing---

3 out of 5 Stars; This is talking about the box it comes in from Ecotech, not the shipping box. I have read that many peoples pumps come undone while in the box, mine did as well. it seems that there is a small piece of cardboard to hold the pump in place. Then all the other stuff is shoved down in the bottom. No foam or anything to protect the $195 pump. Though this should not detour you from buying one, mine worked and i'm sure many others who got theirs like this worked.

---Functionality---

5 out of 5 Stars; Pump works flawlessly out of the box. Attach the two sides, plug in, and enjoy. The ability to control the power to the pump is amazing. The modes are also very useful, many seem to like the Reef Crest and the Lagoon modes, they are very nice and I plan to switch between them occasionally. Have not really created a wave yet but will soon for the video. One thing that bothers me is the holes to mount the controller, they are really small. I ended up using some fatter screws and they almost cracked the controller (where the holes are drilled, you'll see in one of the pics). The pump is also very small, which helps de-clutter the tank and remove equipment. It really look great and lets face it you get bragging rights.

---Flow---

5 out of 5 Stars; Very wide and dispersed flow, much wider than the Koralia pumps that mine replaced. On 100% power the pump moves a ton of water and the corals seem to be loving it. Fish love it too. When you first use it the corals will probably close up, but mine opened within a hour of the pump being on. Can't speak on how they compare to Tunze pumps but these are way better than Koralias.

Improvements: Packaging needs to be re thought or add some foam to keep the pump in place. Another thing that was senseless on Ecotech's part was a quick disconnect. The controller and the pump are wired together and it is rather dumb they did not put a disconnect on it.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Please feel free to ask questions or post your own review

Pics:

Here are the pictures and some crude video.

010-3.jpg

013-4.jpg

011-3.jpg

016-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

023-2.jpg

Videos:

th_010-2.jpg th_011-2.jpg th_012-2.jpg

just got my mp 10 tonight and i was hesitant on the price did not want to spend that much but wow wow it is nice save your allowance boys it can be gentle but if you could set it up in your bathtub you could have a jacuzzi really powerful or gentle however you like it

I have no clue but I will never buy one again. They are not reliable from what I have read after 1 year the bearings fail and you have to buy a new dry side motor or open it up and replace the bearings yourself...

I have Koralia nanos that are running 2+ years with no issues.

Being the originator of this thread and reviewing the blue box MP10s, I have to amend my original review. I owned the pump for about 6-12 months and I never could get the thing quiet. Very annoying for a bedroom tank. I never had any other problems with it but I don't think I would be buying one for my pico. For $230 I would expect a dead silent long lasting pump.

Archived