Cultivated Reef

Vortech MP10 Review

121a

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nanoreefchris
Do you guys think this is enough for a 29G Mixed Reef (eventually SPS dominant)?

I'm on the fence about whether or not it's enough, right now I'm running (2) K2s. Thanks!

nope its not. I have an MP20 in my 29 g mixed reef and its just right. And if you ever want a bigger tank you would just get the upgrade kit from MP20-40. I cant imagine the mp10 giving you enough flow for SPS in a 30" long tank. Get the MP20 you'll thank yourself later.

• 1 month later...
nope its not. I have an MP20 in my 29 g mixed reef and its just right. And if you ever want a bigger tank you would just get the upgrade kit from MP20-40. I cant imagine the mp10 giving you enough flow for SPS in a 30" long tank. Get the MP20 you'll thank yourself later.

mp10 would be fine for that tank.....it pushes a LOT of water!! don't underestimate it dude....I had one on a 35 cube and it pushed serious flow!!

Been a time since I added the 2 MP10s to my Finnex 30 gl.

Still going strong.

I have tried time and time again different settings, but always go back to the long-pulse wave. The corals seem to really love the back and forth sway.

SPS are mostly always with extended polyps and zoanthids seem in heaven swaying to and fro.

Really glad I made the investment, though I am still paying for them. They are well worth it and the only type of in tank power head I will ever use again.

Definitely interested in the mp10, but not sold yet. Can the "dry" side work underwater as well. I want to put it behind the false wall of a NC. I read this thread and kinda understood that it cannot. Is this correct?

bluegrizzlies1

Had mine for 2 weeks and just love it running it on short pulse mode in a 12 gallon.

Is there a way to turn it off without unplugging it ? this would help with water changes

levitationDrew
Definitely interested in the mp10, but not sold yet. Can the "dry" side work underwater as well. I want to put it behind the false wall of a NC. I read this thread and kinda understood that it cannot. Is this correct?

Do not at any time get the Dry side wet. It will cause lots of problems with the motor. Same goes for the control box. Salt water and electronics make for a bad mix.

Do not at any time get the Dry side wet. It will cause lots of problems with the motor. Same goes for the control box. Salt water and electronics make for a bad mix.

can u seal it off in a acrylic air tight box?

levitationDrew

No. The air cools the motor passively. I have thought of how to get it into the back chambers and all I can think of is to make a U shaped channel for the dry side to sit down in. This way you can still get to it and the air will too. The manual says it needs some clearence around the dry side for heat dissipation.

wat about putting it in a box with the top open and submerged? but enough so water doesnt get inside the box?

i guess im trying too hard now...

levitationDrew
wat about putting it in a box with the top open and submerged? but enough so water doesnt get inside the box?

i guess im trying too hard now...

Kinda like a U shaped channel. A box with an open top.

K. That's what I gathered, but good to KNOW before I go out and but one. I'll Probably still get one, but I will have to place it somewhere else. :)

• 1 month later...

I turn the MP10 "off" by following half the Night Mode sequence. Hold the 'set' & 'mode' buttons for 3 secs or until you get the alternating red...blue...white LED pattern. Now leave it. The pump will not be running. When you are ready to run the pump again, just press the 'set' button once. The pump will then resume with it's sweet, sweet flow.

:D

Recently got the MP10 for my 28 gallon.

So far so good but not super impressed. I probably am not using it to the best of its ability so only time will tell.

Recently got the MP10 for my 28 gallon.

So far so good but not super impressed. I probably am not using it to the best of its ability so only time will tell.

I was the same way and posted just that when I first got mine.

But after playing with it and seeing the results on the corals and fish now I will never own anything else but an MP powerhead.

• 4 weeks later...
Dustin C Mills

Does anyone with a 12 gallon nano have any pictures or videos to share? It would help me out with the choice.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Archived