Pod Your Reef

Vortech MP10 Review

121a

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmm, I think I may just go the MP40W for now and if I need extra I'll add an MP10 to the fold. They'll both be on the back wall (peninsula tank) so I guess the big boy will have much better penetration. The swaying motion isn't a huge issue either, I won't have any softies or LPS to really pay attention to it ;)

Thanks!

Over here that'd be about $1500, as compared to about $900 for the MP40W and the MP10. As much as I'd like to say it's in the budget, I don't think it is for now. Who knows, maybe I can find someone who wants to give me some for cheaper. Mmmmmmm, running them in sync/anti-sync ... :D

And don't forget the kitchen sync!! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)! :lol:

You just gave me the best idea! Perfect way to wash the dishes - putting a couple of Vortechs in there and letting them take care of it all? :haha:

I just got my MP10 today. My tank has not arrived yet so I filled a 20gl I had in the garage and set the MP10 according to direction. I put it on short pulse mode but am not getting anything like the video on the Ecotch Marine site in the 34 Solana.

I have positioned it in many locations and it seems to be working short pulse, but no wave action to speak of. Could it maybe need a break in period? Maybe it is defective? I have it all the way up and the blue light is going on and off, just not much flow, at least not what you would expect seeing the video.

Any ideas? If this is the most it will do in an empty standard 20gl then it will be a disappointment in a Finnex 30M tank with rock work for sure.

You have to dial it in. When you put it in short pulse mode it WITH OUT setting it up you just get a constant mode. Read the instructions on how to setup the short pulse mode. Mine was not creating a wave when i read the instructions, i dialed it in with the dial (the pulse lenght), i seen a hefty wave after about 30 seconds. :)

You have to dial it in. When you put it in short pulse mode it WITH OUT setting it up you just get a constant mode. Read the instructions on how to setup the short pulse mode. Mine was not creating a wave when i read the instructions, i dialed it in with the dial (the pulse lenght), i seen a hefty wave after about 30 seconds. :)

Yes, I did say that it is getting the on-off short pulse blue light and putting my hand up to it it is pulsing, just not making any wave no matter where i place it, high, middle, low. Like it doe snot have the output that the video shows though I have it turned all the way up.

Nevermind. I watched the video on setting up a wave on the Ecotech website. I had maxed the speed and set the pulse but had not set the frequency. Now it works fine.

I take it all back. FANTASTIC PUMP!

I am really tempted to get one of these but it sure does seem like a lot of dough to spend a on a circ pump. Right now i have a Tunze 6025 and i like it just fine, it just isn't as fun to play with. Another thing I don't care for is, that it needs to go on the side of the tank. I am sort of partial to having my circ pumps on the back wall so they aren't as noticeable. Who nows if I get some extra loot I might swing for one but right now I think I'll stick to what I have and use my money to buy some corals instead.

I am really tempted to get one of these but it sure does seem like a lot of dough to spend a on a circ pump. Right now i have a Tunze 6025 and i like it just fine, it just isn't as fun to play with. Another thing I don't care for is, that it needs to go on the side of the tank. I am sort of partial to having my circ pumps on the back wall so they aren't as noticeable. Who nows if I get some extra loot I might swing for one but right now I think I'll stick to what I have and use my money to buy some corals instead.

I am the same way. I like the pumps out of sight as much as possible. I will probably add a couple nano koralias on the back wall for added circulation but I can't get over the wave pattern this MP 10 makes so though it will be hanging on the side of my tank, I think it will be worth it. And really, except for the cord, and this is just on a tank with nothing in it setting on the floor so it may look different in my Finnex, it really does not look obtrusive at all. It is a nice design in appearance overall. I just want to rig a way so the cord does not show as much.

I'm like you Jerry, I also have a Tunze 6025 and I like it fine as well. Just don't have all of the extra features of the Vortech. I modded my Tunze. so it puts out similar flow to the Tunze 6045.

If only there was someone that could make a dry dock box, that would allow folks to put their Vortechs on the back wall!

If only there was someone that could make a dry dock box, that would allow folks to put their Vortechs on the back wall!

Man that would be sweet, or even an extension tube that could fit in a rear chamber and go between the wet and dry side.

I'm like you Jerry, I also have a Tunze 6025 and I like it fine as well. Just don't have all of the extra features of the Vortech. I modded my Tunze. so it puts out similar flow to the Tunze 6045.

That's what I was going to do on my Finnex. I was looking on the Internet for display box that I could cut one side off and silicone/glue it to the back-side of the front wall chamber section. I had removed the chambers to attach rock to the wall and modify the refugium. Decided not to even put it back in for the extra display room so now I have the MP10 on the back wall of the tank in the center up top. Working well. making nice waves. I tuned it so the wave action is slower then fast pulse. Seems a more natural swaying. Course, no corals in yet, just live rock and a couple pieces of caulerpa.

Hey just a question..I've got a 26g acrylic with 1/2" walls and read that the MP10 works up to 3/8". Has anyone tried the MP10 on 1/2" or do I need to get the MP20?

This pump is awesome. I've been running it for 2 months and absolutely love the wavemaker type flow from the short pulse mode. Only thing I would add is to be sure to disassemble the wet side and vinegar soak it occasionally if you run high calcium levels. In my 34gal SPS tank I run my cal between 430-450 and in one month the shaft and propeller became calcified. I was woken up in the morning to a banging noise and found the motor dancing on the outside of the tank :D

After playing with mine for a few day and reading what others have to say I believe I have settled on the fast pulse wave. It looks nice at the water's surface and seems to cause the most turbulence in the tank.

Now that I have tried an MP power head I guess there is no going back to other wave makers and especially to constant flow power heads.

Guess it is like starting with VHO, then PC moving on to T5 and finally the ultimate lighting, MH. You can never go back to anything else and if you try you will never truly be satisfied.

then would the concensess be that these are vastly superior to closed loops due to pulsewave funtion. or is it there simplisity and low run cost that wins out. leaving closed loops better but not worth the extra time & and efort (+cost).

Mine works fine. LIke the other poster said, you have to dial it in. At any rate, when you crank that baby up, it gets a little loud and the vibration is apparent. But if you set it at 50%, there's still a lot of water movement.

Mine works fine. LIke the other poster said, you have to dial it in. At any rate, when you crank that baby up, it gets a little loud and the vibration is apparent. But if you set it at 50%, there's still a lot of water movement.

mine seems to be pretty quite at 100%. My fan on the lighting unit is louder. maybe you don't have the prop centered to the motor?

then would the concensess be that these are vastly superior to closed loops due to pulsewave funtion. or is it there simplisity and low run cost that wins out. leaving closed loops better but not worth the extra time & and efort (+cost).

I know after using the MP I will probably never be satisfied with anything else. At least nothing on the market so far.

Archived