Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vortech MP10 Review

121a

reeftankguy
does a mp10 make sense on a 12 gallon? i too have been toying with the idea of getting one.

Yes it does make since! I have a CAD12G and its great... ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes it does make since! I have a CAD12G and its great... ;)

reeftankguy, do you have any pictures of the mp10 in action? how is the noise level? thanks in advance

mines very loud, and I think it has to go back to vortech because on constant mode every once in a while it makes a different pitch noise that follows the same pattern as reef crest but theres no change in flow. And its coming from the dry side...

reeftankguy
i can comment on the noise, it is NOT SILENT. it is louder than my old koralias.

mines very loud, and I think it has to go back to vortech because on constant mode every once in a while it makes a different pitch noise that follows the same pattern as reef crest but theres no change in flow. And its coming from the dry side...

When you first set it up you do have to adjust it to line it up perfectly to eliminate the Noise/Vibration.... Mine was loud till I played with it for a while... It will take some patients to get it right...

I did use the rubber spacer...

Or maybe mine was just an exception... :huh:

reeftankguy
My noise seems to be coming from inside the dry side, would that be vibration related?

Yes that’s where you would hear it... Read the manual and it will tell you how to fix this... Because the Wet side is held in place by the Dry side by magnets you have to line up the center\Axis of each side to match…

Align the VorTech

Turn the VorTech pump to constant speed mode (indicated by a green LED) by • pressing the mode button which is located on the driver, then set to the maximum speed by using the speed control knob on the driver.

Plug the power supply into the driver. If vibration or excessive noise is detected, • carefully adjust the propeller housing by moving it VERY slightly left, right, up or down, until the noise/vibration is eliminated or minimized as much as possible.

After alignment has been ensured, adjust to the mode of your choice and turn the • speed control knob to achieve the desired flow rate within your aquarium.

Important: If the VorTech is not properly aligned, a strong vibration will be heard. If the alignment is not corrected, this can cause increased electrical consumption, excessive wear on the components, excessive heat and excessive noise

Yes that’s where you would hear it... Read the manual and it will tell you how to fix this... Because the Wet side is held in place by the Dry side by magnets you have to line up the center\Axis of each side to match…

Align the VorTech

Turn the VorTech pump to constant speed mode (indicated by a green LED) by • pressing the mode button which is located on the driver, then set to the maximum speed by using the speed control knob on the driver.

Plug the power supply into the driver. If vibration or excessive noise is detected, • carefully adjust the propeller housing by moving it VERY slightly left, right, up or down, until the noise/vibration is eliminated or minimized as much as possible.

After alignment has been ensured, adjust to the mode of your choice and turn the • speed control knob to achieve the desired flow rate within your aquarium.

Important: If the VorTech is not properly aligned, a strong vibration will be heard. If the alignment is not corrected, this can cause increased electrical consumption, excessive wear on the components, excessive heat and excessive noise

so if the mp10 is properly aligned what is the noise level like? thanks again

i re-aligned mine today and it is still audible. I guess i have a really quiet tank, but you could certainly hear it. It is not annoying but might not be suitable for a bedroom reef and a lite sleeper. I got use to the noise and plus it is on 50% power at night so it is not that loud. :)

I ordered mine on last Thurs...they finally got around to shipping it today. It should be here tomorrow, I cannot wait!. Happy B-day to myself from myself.

Mine is as quite as can be, you can't hardly hear it at all.

I can't make any waves though, how far down do you guys have yours from the top of the tank?

reeftankguy
Mine is as quite as can be, you can't hardly hear it at all.

I can't make any waves though, how far down do you guys have yours from the top of the tank?

Take a look at where mine is... It was taken at night so it was in Night Mode (No wave)

000_1272.jpg

Take a look at where mine is... It was taken at night so it was in Night Mode (No wave)

000_1272.jpg

That's about where mine is, I can't get a wave. Mine is on a 39G Cadlight though, maybe that's why? Do you have the pulse set where it goes really fast or is it slower?

LivingStrong08

Intsalled mine last night, very easy! I used the rubber pad that goes between the motor and glass.. I wan't sure how thick the Biocube 29g glass was and I didn't want to damage my motor. I will have pics up tonight!

Super quite! (there is instructions for calibration so you don't have vibration etc..)

Timmy

reeftankguy
That's about where mine is, I can't get a wave. Mine is on a 39G Cadlight though, maybe that's why? Do you have the pulse set where it goes really fast or is it slower?

Hmmm... Wonder why you can't... The video I saw was on a long tank don't know how many gals is was...

Max 60% +/- Pulse 40% +/- I had to play with it all night... Had to blow all the sand off my rock with a baster after I got it set...

Did you calibrate it when you first set it up?

Just got my tank all cleaned and water change done. I got the pump into place. I am alittle dissapointed because I can not place it directly where I want it due to some xenia being directly in line with the pump. It works great if you want to stir up some detritus, just crank it up all the way for a min and watch the shart fly.It is not as random as I had hoped. I pictured there being more of a push pull motion to it. I will continue to play with the settings. My fish definatly are not happy with the flow rates. Everyone is hiding out. My millipora is not all that happy with it as well. I just have the wrong stuff in the wrong places for what this pump does.

Hmmm... Wonder why you can't... The video I saw was on a long tank don't know how many gals is was...

Max 60% +/- Pulse 40% +/- I had to play with it all night... Had to blow all the sand off my rock with a baster after I got it set...

Did you calibrate it when you first set it up?

How do you know you have it at 60%? Are you just guessing how much you have it turned down with the knob?

As far as noise, all I can hear is a slight humming as it ramps up and down in Reef Crest mode. Considering the motor is outside of the tank, this isn't bad at all. The pump also has a break in period in which it will gradually become even more quiet. It is important to have the dry and wet sides properly aligned as some have stated.

Based on feedback that Ecotech has been getting, they say this is their quietest pump yet.

reeftankguy
How do you know you have it at 60%? Are you just guessing how much you have it turned down with the knob?

Josh... This is how I see (In my head) my dial on my MP10... Example is set at 72%

MP10Dial.jpg

Josh... This is how I see (In my head) my dial on my MP10... Example is set at 72%

Haha, that is awesome. You should tell Vortech to add something like that, a lil sticker would be awesome!

Haha, that is awesome. You should tell Vortech to add something like that, a lil sticker would be awesome!

Is placing it on the right or left side of the tank just your own preference? My CAD 22's return is on the right side so was thinking of putting the MP20 on the left side to counter the flow from the return.

But, I've seen some pics on here that have the MP10/MP20 on the right side which is the side where the return is.

Is it better on the right than on the left?

nope, just a matter of preference. I wanted dissapated flow at the left end of my tank so i put it on the right side, but it didn't seem to matter too much, lol.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering either a pair of these or an MP40W for a 2.5x2.5x1.5 SPS "cube" and can't decide. Any ideas? The MP40W would actually work out roughly $200 cheaper..

Archived