inTank Media Baskets

60 gallon plaything!

Aquanist

Fook me!

A few days ago I mas doing my monthly maintenance and replacing carbon and PO4 remover. Before I've been using all Aqua Medic products but my AM phosphate remover ran out and I couldn't get it on such a short notice. So I bought Sera Phosvec instead. It said to rinse well before use, and I thought I did. There was a LOT of dust coming off of this stuff and I was in a bit of a rush..

So I went on with my routine and the next day I found out this one coral had most of it's skin peeled right off. Also, most of my montiporas (both digitata and capricornis) looked semi-bleached. Blue polyp, and red digitata were good as usual, but ethers looked pretty bleak.

This was a couple of days ago. And I have a couple of poor quality iPhone pictures of it. The chalice-looking coral is actually already regenerating it's lost tissue. and all the montiporas seem to be pulling through just fine as well. Color has been coming back nicely everywhere but the tips already..

kuva-1.jpg

kuva2-1.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recovering may still take some time, but I no longer expect to have any losses. So this was just a close call. Tissue is regenerating nicely on my jolly green monster. Which is nice.

New stuff arrived! Trachyphyllia is still somewhat pissed off by the road trip. Also I received a nice small colony of pink zoas with green mouth.. Picture pending.

Purple/blue acro:

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

Green ricordea

IMG_9684.jpg

RGB trachy

IMG_9688.jpg

Pictures as promised!

This first isn't a new acquisition, but while shooting my new zoa I took a snap at this as well and it really didn't turn out half that bad. :)

IMG_9702.jpg

Now this is new (I know I have to remove the larger-than-life green paly from the rock). What do you think? I've now had it for four days only, so I'm not really expecting it to be fully colored up yet. But it does show promise don't you think?

IMG_9711.jpg

Here's a larger picture of the frag. It has 30+ polyps on it and it cost me 20€. To me it seems like a good deal (well I'm not after names so anything pretty with a decent price tag is a geed deal to me).

IMG_9708.jpg

Thanks Jonathan. I sure hope I can do better than this. It's just that finances make cut backs on vision. Maybe next year or so... Maybe 200+ gallons total system volume, maybe downsizing to a pico, maybe both, or maybe just roll with this.. :)

Very well done. Does your damsel bother the Anthias very much. I have a friend that had the same combination, the yellow belly damsel and and Anthias, and the damsel beat the snot of of the Anthias. Just would not leave it alone.

Thank you both!

Henry - it's actually the other way around. My anthias bosses the damsel around if necessary, even though they all hormoniously co-exist the most of the time. Maybe my damsel is just a wuss. Even my green clown gobies think he's a pushover. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade plans are coming together slowly. Think I'll be going with 217gallon total system volume unless I decide to have my sump custom made.. Main display covering 158,5gallons (160x60x60cm).

Just waiting for the darker days of autumn to come before I can even dream of actually having time to do anything about anything.. Currently the maintenance consists of filling ATO reservoir and feeding. Well I did make 8gallons WC today. Not that I had to I quess, as my PO was 0 and NO3 <10. Had been some 4 weeks from my last WC,

Somethin new - something blue..

Just made a deal with a fellow reefer and I'll be getting a couple nice things next week.. If anyone has ID on the acro (1st pic) please let me know.

Number 2 is going to work for me. A nice light neon blue favia with green mouths.

EDIT: Removed the 2 pics not taken by me. You'll get the idea though in the next post. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thx. One does try. :)

So I sold my 115gal fw tank today. It'll get picked up in 2 weeks or so. So I'm really about to embark to uncharted waters of custom built largeish tank of some description. I'm seeing 10x54W T5, tunze streams, loads of dead rock to cycle....

Actually, I already ordered 1 more 6055 stream and that new USB-multicontroller...

The main display I've visioned to be something around the lines of 140x65-70x55cm. 55 being the height. So it would be roughly 56x26-28x22 inches holding around 130 gallons.

Maybe this monster would need it's own thread?

pismo_reefer

The coral you referred to as "chalice looking", is, I belive, a Pavona.

General feedings of Rotifers (RotiFeast),will make it VERY happy. ;)

Thanks Pismo. Would you have any links to this pavona you mentioned of? Pavona maldivensis has some similarity, but my coral is encrusting and closest I have come by are Oxypora, Mycedium steeni and Acanthastrea rotundoflora. I know I may be way off with these.

"The Behemoth" nudged ahead again one tiny baby step as I ordered me Eheim 1262 pump for sump, 15kg dry rock and LARGE mag float. :)

Second tunze 6055 added to this tank. Why haven't I done it earlier. Increased flow resulted on immediate longer SPS polyp extension. Makes me one happy bunny

• 2 weeks later...

New pictures!! I know I've already taken pics of most of these already - it's just that I haven't got any new goodies atm. So bear with me. :lol:

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg