Cultivated Reef

60 gallon plaything!

Aquanist

Latest addition. I would have happily settled on a smaller one but this was such a bargain I just couldn't pass on it.

It's about 6 inches in diameter!

post-44860-1270489175_thumb.jpg

I'm really not sure on what it is so if you would have any insight on the subject I would like to know. All suggestions are welcomed! :D

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Curry02. One does try. :P What I really need is a better macro lens actually. I'm currently using canon EF 50mm f/2.5 and I'm leaning towards 100mm.. Maybe just cut on the costs and get the 50mm extension..

Here's a better picture of this one hitchiker zoa I got along some basic green tip zoas. It came as 1 polyt + 1 tiny babypolyp. I'm up to 3 now and hopefully more's to come.. With quick browse through ZoaID I think Alien Explosion came closest. Not sure though. And the red is much darker really. Dunno why my canon wanted it to look pink.

post-44860-1270552007_thumb.jpg

A fortnight of waiting coming right up!

I just ordered myself this and it should ship on monday/tuesday from UK. So I just might have it by the end of next week - or not. I really like my little 50mm EF macro but I just want to get the most out of it.. I might lose some light with this but hey, such is life.

So hold tight and look out for insanely cool (beginner level) macro shots. fingerscrossed

On wednesday I added 4 Mithrax sculptus crabs into aquarium. Man do I wish I'd done it about 6 months ago. They're by far the best aögae munchers I've come by (that actually fit in my tank). They even boldly go where nothing has gone before and eat that strong red rootlike algae (I had almost lost my hope on this one). And the peculiar thing is that 1 of the mithrax is more red than green. Is this common or not? Otherwise it looks just the same and grazes through my algae.

Also, I found I had a nudibranch hitchiker. i wonder if I've had it the whole 6+ months this tank has been up'n'running. No new rock has been introduced in a long time. And I've treated all my newcomer corals as I've been adding them.

Nevertheless, I haven't noticed any damage done on any of my corals so I just gently trapped the bugger, took a crappy photo of it and released it back to the tank. I'd welcome any suggestions on identifying the nudi!

post-44860-1271503362_thumb.jpg

My supa sexxy killa nudi!

EDIT: Someone forgot the pic. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted my nudi again. This time I tooks it out for good. Quess I just decided I'd be better off being safe instead of sorry. Not that I'd know anything of it's possible ill-doings. Everything siims just dandy in my tank, but thast nudi had nearly tripled in size since I last saw it. Roughly 13mm in length and getting a bit on the fat side as well.

I also did some small-time frag swapping last week and today. Got nothing really fancy, but I'm pretty pleased nonetheless. A small list of the new corals:

- 3 different zoas

- 2 different acros

- ricordea

- photosynthetic gorgonia

- hydnopora

Tank is currently pretty damn cloudy as I just used some epoxy putty to place those mentioned above on their places. So pictures will be updated on monday/tuesday depending on polyp extension and various other variables (i.e. if yours truly just bothers).

Here's something old and something new. More pictures of the new stuff to come later this week (I hope)

post-44860-1272906640_thumb.jpg

G.histrio at his usual spot getting ready to go to bed

post-44860-1272906734_thumb.jpg

Mystery nudi that I removed from the tank (why can't thise snails clean the whole glass)

Well looks like you people just have to go without more pictures. Apparently I have now used 20.14MB of the 20MB attachment space allocated for me. I had never noticed that before as on other forums I use I acn upload as many pictures as I see fit as long as individual pictures are within set limits. This sucks ass. :huh:

jdantunes

Hey, Tomi!

Your corals are looking as good as always I see. Keep up the good work!

About the pictures problem, just open a flicker or photobucket account and copy the image link into your reply post. Is really simple and free.

Thanks Jonathan!

I used to have a photobucket account but I stopped using it as I wasn't 100% satisfied with their privacy settings. I might start using it again, even though it means more work for me.. :lol: Hope you people appreciate the effort.

So let's see how this photobucket stuff works out..

IMG_8576.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

IMG_8570.jpg

A few more pictures of the new stuff.. Not the best but maybe in the future. I've had the acros for a whole 2 days now so they're still not in the greatest of shape. Also, they were fragged from a larger colony that was being heavily shaded by a massive monti cap.

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

And all feedback is still welcome. :)

Today's FTS taken with only 2 out of 6 bulbs (Giesemann Pureactinic and Aqua Medic 15000K).

IMG_8702.jpg

post-44860-1272906734_thumb.jpg

Mystery nudi that I removed from the tank (why can't thise snails clean the whole glass)

Looks like a zoanthid eating nudi - keep an eye out for more...

Oh, awesome tank btw.

Just thought I'd show you guys (if someone actually looks at this) 1 of my FW tanks as well. So here's my livingroom tank. 115 gallon SA tank.

IMG_8727.jpg

WoW! How can you do it, Tomi?

I only have one little 14G nano and just with my regular schedule I can't even think about running a second tank.

Anyways, both you tanks are incredible. You should be very proud of what you have accomplish so far.

Also looking at the pair of false perculas you have, they are exactly the same pair I have. My female is a miss bar just like yours.

You can see them in this older picture of my reef...

IMG_1712.jpg

Heh. I don't think my tanks as time consuming. At least not maintenance-wise. Idling in front of them on the other hand... :lol:

And talking about it. As a true reefer i sat tonight (as many of us I'm sure) in front of my tank and made a discovery. Something I just can't wrap my head around I've never seen before. A chiton. A fat chiton over an inch long. Maybe 3cm. I managed to take a picture of it with my iPhone lighting it with my led flashlight. Good thing I'm home alone currently as I had my toothbrush in my mouth at the same time. Talking about multitasking.

I'll load up the picture 1st thing tomorrow morning (or when I remember).

EDIT:

My misbar is also the female. They actually spawned yesterday to a silicone seam. I'm not expecting it to last long enough for any fry to even hatch.

I don't really think those snowflake, naked, picasso etc clowns as aesthetically pleasing but those misbars are the exception. I'm all for natural diversity, but often people just push things a bit too far. :)

And here's the picture of my monster chiton:

IMG_0125.jpg

As said above this thing is something like 30mm long and a fat bugger as well. I know the picture isn't too clear and I'm sorry for it.

I just love the fact that even now having my small reef for only a few days short of a full year (with 1 upgrade 8 moths ago) I still come up with new lifeforms in my tank I've had no idea I've had.. I know some of it may have hitched in with some coral frags even if they all have gone through Pro-Coral Cure dip.

However, if any of you can shed some insight on the specific name/species for my chiton I'd greatly appreciate it. What little I know they are generally thought as harmless algae grazers. Please feel free to correct me if need be.

Oh joy! Oh bliss!

I've got me a new fishy today! A yellow watchman goby. He's a bit over 5cm in length and in good flesh.

I've had this idea of upgrade creeping up a lot lately.

I might convert my 115 gallon FW to a reef display.. I just need to make/have made a new stand for it, drill it (thinking about glass-holes type design), make a couple of cosmetic mods (remove the 3D background, raise the cross-suports about inch or so).

Thinking about using my 60 gallon (current reef display) as a sump. Just add a couple of baffles and it should be good to go..

Traded a green slimer frag (5cm with 2 branches) to a mint contition Tunze singlecontroller. Now I just need the fotocell and a nanostream 6055... And this is how we turn a good deal into a moneypit! :scarry:

Just some random pictures from yesterday as a desperate attempt to draw in some attention. :haha:

IMG_9158.jpg

IMG_9154.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9096.jpg

IMG_9088.jpg

IMG_9083.jpg

Oh and the Tunze 6055 should be here next week.

Archived