Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

SeeDemTails

Hahaha the famed Tigahboy. I learned much from your overflow thread many years ago....

Welcome back, I expect good things from you! :P:lol:

-Christel

Tank is nice tigah, going to fill it up with sweet acans again? haha

Hey Pili. I don't know about "filling it up", but I'll hopefully have some nice acans. :)

Hahaha the famed Tigahboy. I learned much from your overflow thread many years ago....

Welcome back, I expect good things from you! :P:lol:

-Christel

Thanks! I'm glad the thread helped.

Did a beautiful job on 'em too!

Definitely. Maeda is DIY king.

Got a lot of goodies today in the mail... but STILL not enough to plumb my tank. I forgot that I am waiting for my savko order due sometime next week. So my plans to have water in this tank by this weekend will not materialize. Sigh.

Anyways, decided on the Eheim 1262 as the return pump.

Tank11.jpg?t=1243489461

My Aquactinic TX5 and bulbs arrived today as well. My bulb combo (at least for now) is as follows:

UVL 12000K Actinic White

Giesemann Actinic +

Fiji Purple

Giesemann Actinic +

ATI 12000K Aqua Blue

Tank6.jpg?t=1243489589

Tank7.jpg?t=1243489611

Tank8.jpg

Here's a closer view of the tank with the acrylic shields over the main opening and over the overflow box.

Tank9.jpg?t=1243489654

I got nothing in my tank yet, but I still thoroughly enjoy looking at it with the lights on. :)

This looks like its shaping up to be another great tank. You should to throw a surge device on it like your contest tank back in the day :lol:

Tigah - Its great to see that your coming back in this hobby even with how bad things are! Always nice to see. You are the reason I started my first tank and now my newest one from learning from that.

If your looking for a skimmer I may have one perfect for you!

-Dave

Hey Tigah,

I have been just pondering about T5 lighting lately. I just can't help but object to having five bulbs and only two of them are white. I know that a lot of people do this, but doesn't it almost defeat the purpose of having so many bulbs. I mean the color of the light looks awesome, I use giesemann actinic plus bulbs on my 48" fixture. But I would just think that you would want to go with three whites and two actinic in your case.

What are your thoughts on this?

If that setup was a chick I would do awful things to it... :naughtydance:

+1

this tank is gonna be SWEET, i cant wait to see it plumbed or better yet....WET

Sapphire Aquatics

Yeah! Dennis is back! I would like to be the first to blame my reefing addiction on you. JK, but not really, but seriously I'm kidding, not really... Can't wait to see what you come up with this time.

Edited by Sapphire Aquatics
Hey Tigah,

I have been just pondering about T5 lighting lately. I just can't help but object to having five bulbs and only two of them are white. I know that a lot of people do this, but doesn't it almost defeat the purpose of having so many bulbs. I mean the color of the light looks awesome, I use giesemann actinic plus bulbs on my 48" fixture. But I would just think that you would want to go with three whites and two actinic in your case.

What are your thoughts on this?

My current combo has 2 white, 2 blue, and 1 purple. I think this combo will help me keep a variety of colors. But I understand that my combination could change (and I'll have to eat the cost of bulbs not used). So I'll give this combo a shot first and then see about what adjustments I will need to make as I go.

But I'll be brutally honest, I'm actually having a hard time with this switch to T5s only. I am a MH person and am a little skeptical that T5s will be able to bring out the colors of my SPS as easily as MH. But the weight of opinions/info out there would cut against that perception. I won't know until I try, so here I go... But I am going to miss the shimmer. -_-

Yeah! Dennis is back! I would like to be the first to blame my reefing addiction on you. JK, but not really, but seriously I'm kidding, not really... Can't wait to see what you come up with this time.

:D

Edited by Tigahboy

Finally found a place with my favorite LF - Vanuatu!

Went out to Vivid Aquarium in Canoga Park and cherry picked a bunch of nice pieces.

Tank12.jpg?t=1243737216

First time mixing up saltwater in YEARS.

Tank16.jpg?t=1243737259

Also made a hole in my tank in preparation of the return plumbing.

Tank14.jpg?t=1243737402

Tank15.jpg?t=1243737441

Tank13.jpg?t=1243737466

Alrightyo, well if I was you, which I'm not, I would definitely not throw away functioning bulbs. I have only just recently purchased MH for the first time and it totally outclasses my 4 bulb T5. But that's just in my case.

Nice hole drilling. Even though you can't shatter that acrylic, I still would not be brave enough to drill such a gorgeous tank.

Edited by Reefer Al
Any updates?

-Dave

I spent half the day running all over town trying to get everything I needed to start plumbing the tank. Mission accomplished!

Tank18.jpg?t=1244342289

I have a lot more in my car still. I must admit I got a little nostalgic roaming around the pvc sections of Home Depot and OSH.

And...

Tank17.jpg?t=1244342183

Now I gotta plumb this baby. Going to get started tonight, but I haven't plumbed a tank in a LONG time. Hopefully it's like a riding a bicycle.

Will post more when I make more progress (hopefully later tonight). Stay tuned!

davidr2340
I spent half the day running all over town trying to get everything I needed to start plumbing the tank. Mission accomplished!

Tank18.jpg?t=1244342289

I have a lot more in my car still. I must admit I got a little nostalgic roaming around the pvc sections of Home Depot and OSH.

And...

Tank17.jpg?t=1244342183

Now I gotta plumb this baby. Going to get started tonight, but I haven't plumbed a tank in a LONG time. Hopefully it's like a riding a bicycle.

Will post more when I make more progress (hopefully later tonight). Stay tuned!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Waiting for an update on plumbing!!! -_-

Sigh. I couldn't finish my plumbing. Probably cuz Maeda dropped by and interrupted my groove. :D

Anyway, I've gotten the majority of the plumbing work done. Just have to complete the connection b/t the eheim 1262 and the 3/4" pvc pipes. I just realized that the 3/4" ID vinyl tubing is too big for the purportedly 3/4" outlet of the eheim 1262. So I gotta make another trip to home depot before I can get 'er filled. Boooo!

Anyway, here are some photos of my progress. Probably boring for most.

There's a rim at the top of my stand that covers the bottom 1.5" of my tank, so I added a 1.5" thick foam layer to raise the tank a little.

Tank19.jpg?t=1244365579

I'm leaning towards sand (I even bought some already), but in case I do bare bottom (and since I forgot to ask for black bottom acrylic on my tank), I added some black liner that you find in your drawers or shelves.

Tank20.jpg?t=1244365783

Tank21.jpg?t=1244366364

Some photos of my overflow/drain plumbing. I'm going to do a herbie overflow, but I haven't decided yet how I want to set-up the "emergency" drain (i.e. whether elbow, open standpipe, or durso). Since this is my first time doing a herbie, I'd like to try a few configs out first before settling on one. So for now, just open standpipes.

Tank23.jpg?t=1244366517

Tank24.jpg?t=1244367339

I'm using one of my first design drawings for this tank to catch excess pvc glue. Recycle.

Tank26.jpg?t=1244367490

Tank25.jpg?t=1244367468

Return plumbing...or at least what I have thus far...

Tank27.jpg?t=1244367694

Tank28.jpg?t=1244367713

Tank29.jpg?t=1244367878

Okay. That's all for now. Super tired! I will make a good faith effort to have water in this baby by tomorrow, or else it might be another week until I can make anymore progress.