Coral Vue Hydros

ReefBuddy DIY Aquarium Controller $89

hcsceo

Looking forward to seeing this in action. I had my own abortive attempt at this project awhile ago which I never did get around to finishing: http://www.opencoral.com/

And hello everyone, new member on Nano-Reef. My 90gallon of course does not qualify as a nano ;)

WELCOME...... :welcome: ........ But you can post your tank in the Large Reef Tank section!!

BTW....... Any updates?? It's been a while! ;)

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found my way back to this forum after a few years because of this topic.

I really hope this project keeps going forward. It sounds like it has huge potential.

I'm one of those soldering noobs...never had a reason to touch a soldering iron especially since most electronic products are practically disposable now.

Are those "cold" soldering irons okay for this type of work?

Invest in a real soldering iron. Those cold heat irons work for really small stuff, but once you are starting to put something like this together, you want something a little more appropriate.

Well, hopefully it won't be too much longer, I'd deffinitely buy one.

As for soldering irons, the cheap radio shack ones can get you by for a few small projects, at least, but in the past, some models got a bit too hot, so you had to be careful about how long you held the iron to the solder point.

Sorry guys the PCB design is taking a bit longer than I expected. The space we have to work with in the box and the desire to keep the project buildable via true DIY (ie toner transfer, chemical etching at home) has slowed us a bit. With the redesign of the processer and space issues associated with the box and dip construction we have had our work cut out for us. We are working on it and it will get done soon.

Like Evil said, cold solder is really not a good idea. That product makes a great commercial but doesn't transfer well to PCB work. A standard cheap 40watt Iron from radio shack should work OK, and I hope to build one in the assembly video using one to show it can be done. Every IC is socketed so overheating should not be a factor when building it. We are using 10mil traces and 12mil spacing so solder points shouldn't be so close that soldering is an issue. I use a variable heat Weller and love it but would never expect people to buy one just for this project.

Anyway, stay tuned it IS coming, LOL.

Steve

Sorry guys the PCB design is taking a bit longer than I expected. The space we have to work with in the box and the desire to keep the project buildable via true DIY (ie toner transfer, chemical etching at home) has slowed us a bit. With the redesign of the processer and space issues associated with the box and dip construction we have had our work cut out for us. We are working on it and it will get done soon.

Like Evil said, cold solder is really not a good idea. That product makes a great commercial but doesn't transfer well to PCB work. A standard cheap 40watt Iron from radio shack should work OK, and I hope to build one in the assembly video using one to show it can be done. Every IC is socketed so overheating should not be a factor when building it. We are using 10mil traces and 12mil spacing so solder points shouldn't be so close that soldering is an issue. I use a variable heat Weller and love it but would never expect people to buy one just for this project.

Anyway, stay tuned it IS coming, LOL.

Steve

The Schematics have been proven out and the PCB design can finally head towards completion.

If people can afford it ($40-60 range) I would highly recommend a solder iron with a variable temp and it's own dedicated controller/stand. The Weller WTC setup or something similar will work perfectly for this project.

Ok now I'm confused. Is this something we're going to have to totally build ourselves? I was under the impression that I basically picked the components I wanted and then programmed it however I wanted. Being a CS major that would be perfect for me... not sure how well I would do soldering every component onto the boards...

The Schematics have been proven out and the PCB design can finally head towards completion.

If people can afford it ($40-60 range) I would highly recommend a solder iron with a variable temp and it's own dedicated controller/stand. The Weller WTC setup or something similar will work perfectly for this project.

Awesome! Been waiting patiently. Will we be able to etch the PCB ourselves?

Ok now I'm confused. Is this something we're going to have to totally build ourselves? I was under the impression that I basically picked the components I wanted and then programmed it however I wanted. Being a CS major that would be perfect for me... not sure how well I would do soldering every component onto the boards...

My understanding, from reading the thread, is that HCSCEO has already carefully picked all the components (except probes/sensors?) and written all the software, and that to keep the price down, will sell us the components, and source code for the software (at about cost) but that we have to assemble the components, and that it will involve some soldering. HOWEVER, since it is open source, and based on the Arduino controller, you can easily modify it any way you like, both in hardware, and especially in software.

I too am a mere software engineer, with very limited experience soldering, but I gather that HCSCEO made a design decision that would make the thing bulkier, but easier for guys like us to solder. He even took some criticism from a few of the veteran flux-sniffers who disagreed with his choice to coddle weenies like us. He can't please all of the people all of the time, but I think most of the people (including me) are going to be thrilled. After all of his effort, I'm willing to do a little homework, practice a little soldering, and buy the good quality soldering iron that I probably should have bought years ago. Then I'll have a controller that I can use my software skills to customize, for under $100. Woo hoo!

I just hear all this talk about etching the board and all. I'd totally be down if everything were shipped to me in a box and said "Solder this thing in this slot, then this in that, then that in this." I wouldn't want this to be so DIY that I would need more than a basic set of instructions on where to soldering something in order to complete...

That's the way the kits seem to be shaping up. The etching of a pcb is a custom option if you want to buy all the parts yourself.

Ok, I can deal with having to solder components to a board but I dont know how much more I'd be able to do just due to lack of experience/knowledge. I'll have to see how everything pans out and make a final decision when all is said and done.

Ok, I can deal with having to solder components to a board but I dont know how much more I'd be able to do just due to lack of experience/knowledge. I'll have to see how everything pans out and make a final decision when all is said and done.

We will see but I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I think most novice builders like us will do just fine. I just dont have the time to learn to code these guys or draw up wiring layout, at least for the main controller. I do hope to add some of my own stuff and code it into the main unit.

Guys and gals,

This is why I wanted to push for through hole design. Knowing the dedication to detail that Steve has, I'm pretty sure that this will be similar to building a plastic model "Insert part 2R into the PCB at the R2 location".

You will have to be able to identify basic components and know color codes, polarities, Pin 1 on an IC, etc. but it'll be straight forward. :P

Invest in a real soldering iron. Those cold heat irons work for really small stuff, but once you are starting to put something like this together, you want something a little more appropriate.

To add to this topic, the cold heat irons are resistive heaters, which means they apply a fair amount of current to the "bridge" to be soldered. If you're connecting two wires, this isn't a problem, but when you start doing that to semiconductors, any small slip across pins and you've likely blown something up.

The short of it: Coldheat does not mix with any sensitive electronics (microcontrollers, semiconductors, LEDs, etc)

Guys and gals,

This is why I wanted to push for through hole design. Knowing the dedication to detail that Steve has, I'm pretty sure that this will be similar to building a plastic model "Insert part 2R into the PCB at the R2 location".

You will have to be able to identify basic components and know color codes, polarities, Pin 1 on an IC, etc. but it'll be straight forward. :P

I haven't used my lead former in eons :o

Sorry guys I've been busy at work and haven't looked at the thread in several days. To answer a few questions. Like Evil said, the idea is that you will buy a box of parts from us and build it yourself. My idea is to figure out a way on our website to put builders with people who might not have the skills to build it but still want it. I'll put together a video posted on youtube that will walk you through the entire build process and some detailed instructions will be included in the box. Finally on our website you will be able to download the schems, current software or code, digikey part list, and PDF of the PCB for toner transfer and etching yourself if you want to go that route. The idea is that this is can be a DIY project from the ground up or DIY from a kit. Either way you will be responsible for the success of the project you build. There will be other items for sale including probes which we should have the best price around on.

To be honest, right now I'm exhausted and am taking a little break while firewolf completes the PCB. In the last month my wife and I both got strep which knocked us out flat on our backs for four days each and now three of my four kids have pneumonia. My oldest is 6 so that pretty much tells you how much sleep I have had. With any luck we won't add H1N1 on top of the pneumonia as the situation would get life threatening for them quickly.

Deleted User 6
To be honest, right now I'm exhausted and am taking a little break while firewolf completes the PCB. In the last month my wife and I both got strep which knocked us out flat on our backs for four days each and now three of my four kids have pneumonia. My oldest is 6 so that pretty much tells you how much sleep I have had. With any luck we won't add H1N1 on top of the pneumonia as the situation would get life threatening for them quickly.

I don't want to hear your weak excuses!!!!!

kidding - get well man. being sick this time of year really sucks.

Sorry guys I've been busy at work and haven't looked at the thread in several days. To answer a few questions. Like Evil said, the idea is that you will buy a box of parts from us and build it yourself. My idea is to figure out a way on our website to put builders with people who might not have the skills to build it but still want it. I'll put together a video posted on youtube that will walk you through the entire build process and some detailed instructions will be included in the box. Finally on our website you will be able to download the schems, current software or code, digikey part list, and PDF of the PCB for toner transfer and etching yourself if you want to go that route. The idea is that this is can be a DIY project from the ground up or DIY from a kit. Either way you will be responsible for the success of the project you build. There will be other items for sale including probes which we should have the best price around on.

THanks for the response... This is exactly what I was expecting. I hope you feel better.

As for the website.... I think a website that is similar to nerdkits.com would be beneficial. It is exactly the same concept. You could buy all the parts and put together the kit yourself, or you could purchase the kit from them and put it together. If you purchase from them, you get access to their forums where you get support and interact with others that purchased the kit... it is forum based. The interaction in itself is what makes it worth buying the kit from them. They have video tutorials as well as PDF instructions. I LOVE MY NERDKIT! lol

Anyways... if you need help with any of that stuff (forums, video tutorials, etc... ) let me know. I work from home so I have all the time in the world.

Any new pics? Can we see one of the test ones up and running?

Also, do you think you will stick with that keypad?

I know that these ones are already available as they were used previously by your company.

I'm wondering if there is any interest down the road to make something a little more streamlined. I'm sure most of the setup can be done with a lot less (6 ??) buttons. Setup is usually a one time thing with most people leaving it on the main screen. Is real estate of the internal components the issue?

Don't worry about the PCB, the project, etc. You take care of your family and yourself. We'll all still be here.

I'll keep plugging away on the layouts and emailing you updates.

You and your family are in our prayers,

Russ

This thread caught my eye from RC and read thru all 15 pages so far. Keep up the good work and get better.

I some experience in PCB Design and Packaging but that was years ago. I got caught up in the Nixie clock and learned all over to etch my own boards at home and to solder all over again. Even draw schematics on Eagle, have put together several projects, Nixie Clocks - but lack the knowledge to "troubleshoot" them. Hopefully if we get (me) stuck we'll have some kind of help.

If you need a tester that has never used or owned a Controller, that's me. :o

I'm not a nano reefer - have a 80gal custom, total volume 120gals

Archived