Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefBuddy DIY Aquarium Controller $89

hcsceo

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
edlikestoboogie

I am designing a similar product as yours but for hydroponic applications. I have everything working except the EC meter, just as you said, it is the most painful, out of the other simpler sensors. Could you please provide me with a little bit of help? The schematic you modified for your design, Isabella's. Any tips you can give me about her circuit. I built it, and ran it using +15v, -15v from a 1 watt DC-DC converter, since that is all I have and it did not work. I guess I should use the +12/-12? You said you had to modify her circuit, what modifications have you done?

Please PM me if you get a chance. I would greatly appreciate any help.

I am designing a similar product as yours but for hydroponic applications. I have everything working except the EC meter, just as you said, it is the most painful, out of the other simpler sensors. Could you please provide me with a little bit of help? The schematic you modified for your design, Isabella's. Any tips you can give me about her circuit. I built it, and ran it using +15v, -15v from a 1 watt DC-DC converter, since that is all I have and it did not work. I guess I should use the +12/-12? You said you had to modify her circuit, what modifications have you done?

Please PM me if you get a chance. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Sent you a PM on your questions for the circuit.

Did someone say the economy was getting better? I just survived a second round of layoffs at my office.

Hi All,

to the developers, any chance the complete schematic can be open sourced early? I have a a 8.5"x11" pluggable bread board to construct it on and I am ordering 1500 jumpers from ebay :)

even that would give me something to play with.. especially interested in the EC section as I need dual EC measurement circuits and I understand you are only putting a single EC mesurement section in (why I wanted to know the cad program so I can extend the Board if necessary.

Did you in fact go with a pwm/software generated sine as the ac generation component of your EC measurement circuit?(how is it working in test for you?)

gwen

Sent you a PM on your questions for the circuit.

Did someone say the economy was getting better? I just survived a second round of layoffs at my office.

Why not just use a smart relay or PLC? Basically that is what your building. Ladder logic is super easy, a five year old can program a plc. I'm guessing cost may be the issue with plc.

I'm currently designing a low cost temp probe with analouge to digital conversion for less than $20. $20 per temp probe/controller expandable to as many I/O ports on your relay/plc. In theory you could control the temp of every tank in a store and the lights/heater ect. will turn off if max temp limit. Will post the diy for this once it's finished (will basically replace $1k plus A/D temp controllers)

I think plc control is really the best option, infinite control options only bounded by the limits of your imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

So does this effort still live ? Merry Xmas to all, suspect thats where everyone has been. but still would be nice to hear from steve or firebird...

gwen

I've been keeping my eye on this thread for sometime. I really hope that this does come to be a successful and sell-able product. I wanted to thank you guys for your effort, and can't wait to see a final product.

I'd be more than happy to be a beta tester of any sort. I've got years and years of soldering experience ranging from motherboards to simple car stereo varieties. I've got a very good general understanding of programming languages, though I only knew a few. I have a 58gallon mixed reef setup I'd be able to try this on.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
This is excellent for those electronics savey individuals who are good wiht an iron.....BUT

Dude you know you are going to get bombed with people who couldn't solder a single connection with absolutely nothing around it if their life depended on it. Those are the people that will be the majority of your 1st run I bet. They'll see the price and what it does then hop on it. Two days later destroy it with an iron and blame you. :(

Yeah I was wanting to buy one fully assembled with instructions. I don't DIY anything. I'd rather pay for it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I guess I'm in the wrong thread?

For those of you who want to limit the amount of contruction and soldering use "1wire devices" connected to a small linux box. That way you move soldering and programming a CPU into some script files running on a small computer. I know the disadvantages of having to run a small PC however the wiring is so simple and mine doubles as my web server. www.rjconway.homeip.net

Hi friends,

I have completed my arduino controller with power module and lights using I2C mainly.

But i am having this issue:

When the power module is turned on or off (any of the switches) then ARduino goes into Freeze mode and the LCD blanks and the keyboard becomes inactive.

I have made this Aquarium controller for my aquarium. Written the code with a help of a few members in this forum and all seems to work perfectly

I am mainly using I2C to control my devices.

The main layout is :

arduino%20layout.jpg

The Display of the controller : have another display also attached to the system for secondary viewing.

DSC03205_resize.JPG

The controller with the I2C, Clock and with the back of the LCD panel and the Keyboard

DSC03145_resize.JPG

The power Module, using ULN 2003 and Relays. The Power module is Connected to the Controller using a 25Pin DB Wire.

DSC03161_resize.JPG

The Outlook of the power Module

gallery2...3162_resize.JPG

These are the problems: (I think they are related)

1. When the power module is not connected to the main system, the system works perfectly. There is a mode called FEEDMode, when i am into that mode by press of a key in the keypad, a few of the power modules are to TURN OFF for a period of time and then TURN ON again after that period, this works perfectly when the power Module is not connected to the system.

But when i connect the power Module to the system, and go into that FEED MODE it TURNS OFF the devices, goes through the Count and then TURNS on the DEVICES but the moment it turns ON The Devices the LCD goes BLANK with just a display of "1" in the SCREEN and KeyPad is FROZEN.. .so i need to restart the Arduino by powering it down and then ON it again.

2. Some times when there is a power Outtage, and when the System turns on again, i go into the Blank Screen Mode and Frozen keypad. But all the other controls in the Power Module are WORKING...

I even put diodes across the Relays to protect them, but no USE.

The Arduino Goes into FREEZE Mode when it handles the Power Module that is done using UNL2003/2004 ICs and Relays. The ULNs drive the Relays (+5v) and Relays Output (230vac) control the Motors and Pumps.

People on ardunio forum suggested it is de-coupling and i need to add capacitors to the pwr supply. and i did that still no effect.

Did you come across any such problem? or can you help me?

I did have similar problem and can give you some pointers, but I think you should not steal the thread.

Create your own and people may help you out.

Sry for rudeness

edlikestoboogie
Ouch that hurts :P Yea it's been a while so I don't blame you.

Hi Steve,

I couldn't send you a PM since your inbox is full, so I will send a message here:

I am very sorry for the late reply. But I have been working on other aspects of the project and have now realized the EC section. I have gotten the original EC circuit to work with +-15volts changing some resistor values. What I am concerned about is the fact that I am getting a sine wave of 20 volts peak to peak. I thought this circuit was designed for low voltage low current for the AC signal sent through the liquid being measured? I am concerned about this as I don't want interference with my pH circuit. I was advised by my friend who constructed and modified the circuit to use 1.2 volt zeners instead of the other ones used for the sine wave, reducing voltage to a quarter? Please let me know what you think about my concerns. I also made other small changes like using a full wave rectifier instead of using the 4 rectifier diodes. The EC probe I am using is from bluelab, from a unit like this: http://www.getbluelab.com/shop/Bluelab+Combo+Meter%99.html

I am actually planning on going to Shanghai next week and while there would like to find a source for EC and pH electrodes, please let me know if you would like any info I obtain.

+15 and -15 should work but you might have to make resister changes for the increase in volts. If you want to bypass that work then just use a 12volt for the power. Did you use an Oscope to check for oscillation? This is the very first thing you have to verify. If you are not getting a nice sinewave you won't get anything on the circuit. It is a very fine line between nothing and a good sinewave so the oscope is a must. The best way to test the circuit is to check the result after each amp going to the next and make sure you are getting the required results. Finally, what EC probe are you using. Send me a link to it.

Steve

Hello Steve,

It is of utter importance that I get in contact with you as soon as possible. I am designing a similar product as yours but for hydroponic applications. I have everything working except the EC meter, just as you said, it is the most painful, out of the other simpler sensors. Could you please provide me with a little bit of help? The schematic you modified for your design, Isabella's. Any tips you can give me about her circuit. I built it, and ran it using +15v, -15v from a 1 watt DC-DC converter, since that is all I have and it did not work. I guess I should use the +12/-12? You said you had to modify her circuit, what modifications have you done?

thank you,.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this project as well. Just setting up a new tank and I'd like to build one for it. I'm in the ATX area, so if you could use some help with anything, please let me know!

Archived