Innovative Marine Aquariums

ReefBuddy DIY Aquarium Controller $89

hcsceo

Plans will be free of charge. I'll have a website setup where they can be downloaded including BOM, schematics, and PCB Gerber Files. When I have time I'll do a writeup so that a person could build the entire deal from the BOM and a large Breadboard. I don't have a timeline for the kits just yet. Everything depends on when I get back the first PCB's and if they test ok. It will take about 10 days to get the PCB's back once ordered and another couple of days to build and test a couple of units. Firewolf might need a couple of weeks to get the PCB design back to me so I would say at least mid Sept. before I know for sure the design is good. Once all this is done we can start taking preorders for the kit. My very best guess at this time if everything goes well is mid October to ship the first kits.

I've been working on the BOM today and hopefully I'll have a pretty good idea of how the pricing will come out now that everything is completed. It has been my goal to make sure this is under $100. The more preorders we get in the better the pricing gets for everyone. Right now I have no idea what the demand is on something like this, my best guess is to make 20 kits available the first go around.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

Excellent! I can't wait to see what features all make it into the first round of production!

/starts hunting for change in the couch/

Keep us posted! I love building electronics, and I love reef tanks... sounds like a match made in heaven! You can only build so much audio equipment lol I would love a crack at the first batch!

The first round I know will dissapear minutes after you announce presale. How much longer after the first round is shipped will you take orders on 2nd round(for the people who are slow on the draw)

The first round I know will dissapear minutes after you announce presale. How much longer after the first round is shipped will you take orders on 2nd round(for the people who are slow on the draw)

This is a good question. I'd really like to see how the first round goes. What problems people might be experiencing with assembly, overall experience with the unit, any changes that might need to be made, and any changes related to instructions. Once I have a good feel for how well the product is working for end users we'll then start making sure we have the product available in good quantities so there are no back orders. We've been testing this unit all along for the last several months and it has performed great on three very different tanks. In all the testing none of the systems have locked up or malfunctioned in a way that would have caused an issue with a system. As I've run into issues I've reworked solutions and feel real good about the end product. How people use it in thier own systems will really help us fine tune it. If there is a problem it'll be a lot easier to correct it for 20 users than a 100.

Steve,

I'm going through the PCB layout currently and I have a question about the buzzer you've selected.

Do we have any options for the small 5mm diameter buzzers from Digikey?

Steve,

I'm going through the PCB layout currently and I have a question about the buzzer you've selected.

Do we have any options for the small 5mm diameter buzzers from Digikey?

We can take any size buzzer you like. As long as it works at 5 volts and sold by digikey we are good to go. Should be a simple swap out with no additional changes. The only reason I choose that buzzer is that it is used in another controller of ours and I have stock on it. Feel free to make that change :)

Steve

We can take any size buzzer you like. As long as it works at 5 volts and sold by digikey we are good to go. Should be a simple swap out with no additional changes. The only reason I choose that buzzer is that it is used in another controller of ours and I have stock on it. Feel free to make that change :)

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That works out much better due to the limited availability of landscape on the board.

BTW, do you have an actual schematic and not a parts wiring diagram as it'll make the connection crosschecks

1000, times easier.

Thanks again,

Russ

Thanks Steve,

That works out much better due to the limited availability of landscape on the board.

BTW, do you have an actual schematic and not a parts wiring diagram as it'll make the connection crosschecks

1000, times easier.

Thanks again,

Russ

Should be that "Reefbuddy Main Schematics V3" included in the zipped folder I sent you. Let me know if that is what you need.

Steve

OK everyone big awesome news. I bought a CNC today on ebay and should have it this weekend. I should be able to CNC these PCB's directly with this machine. As soon as firewolf is ready I can build the first unit for testing.

Steve

I have always had an interest in electronics,

and soldering together a kit sounds pretty interesting.

I'll be watching this one for sure.

OK everyone big awesome news. I bought a CNC today on ebay and should have it this weekend. I should be able to CNC these PCB's directly with this machine. As soon as firewolf is ready I can build the first unit for testing.

Steve

CNC what? CNC router? Model? Come on man, you have to give us tech heads a little more info :)

I want on the list to be a tester or purchase whichever I can get, since my 1st post is missing from the data loss...

So make sure I am on the list for a kit (prototype testing or otherwise :) )

Thanks,

Tom

Steve

Ok, The Schematics are now opening right. I had a libraries glitch that made it look like a PCB/Schematic hybrid

I'm actually doing the PCB layout and routing on 3 different virtual machines so I can bounce back and forth with different location ideas. The smaller buzzer is opening up quite a few more options now that I dont have to block out a square inch for it. When I get one with a good layout, I'll fire it back over to you for review.

Russ

Ok, The Schematics are now opening right. I had a libraries glitch that made it look like a PCB/Schematic hybrid

I'm actually doing the PCB layout and routing on 3 different virtual machines so I can bounce back and forth with different location ideas. The smaller buzzer is opening up quite a few more options now that I dont have to block out a square inch for it. When I get one with a good layout, I'll fire it back over to you for review.

Russ

You are the MAN!!! I've already got my software setup to convert Gerber to G-Code. We are getting close.

Steve

CNC what? CNC router? Model? Come on man, you have to give us tech heads a little more info :)

HAHA somehow I knew you would be the first to check in on this. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Man I stole this thing for $107.50 and the guy is local to me so I didn't have to pay for shipping. Needs a little cleaning and tweeking but I think it is workable. I'm going to have my office cut an aluminum top to replace the wood one shown as it looks a bit worn. Here's a link to the auction. Auction

doubleyouhat
I want on the list to be a tester or purchase whichever I can get, since my 1st post is missing from the data loss...

So make sure I am on the list for a kit (prototype testing or otherwise :) )

Thanks,

Tom

Seconding this, I have a lot of experience with electronics and own an arduino.

Good deal. Should be good for some first run prototypes.

Yep just brought it home. It is in much better shape than the pics showed. He was an old man and was getting rid of all his stuff that made him a living as he is recently retired. Basically all it needs is a good cleaning and it is good to go. I've already downloaded the specs on the servos and the driver board so I've got all the info I need to get it setup with the computer. I'm going to add some home and limit switches to it also as the driver board supports this. Hopefully, I'll cut something by next weekend. He showed me a really nice CNC Mill someone from out of state won from him. Was a total cast iron deal, probably worth 1-2k and someone got it for $150. He had it ready for shipment. Man I wish I had seen that. He used it to cut all his housings for his PCB's.

Steve

Vancouver Reefer

Steve,

Thats COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know where im sending my acrylic to when i want my fuge/sump cutting!!!!!!

I so cant wait to move into my house so i can get all these toys too!!! An apartment balcony sucks as a workshop!!!!!

Steve,

Thats COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know where im sending my acrylic to when i want my fuge/sump cutting!!!!!!

I so cant wait to move into my house so i can get all these toys too!!! An apartment balcony sucks as a workshop!!!!!

LOL, yea. When we moved into this house about 11 years ago I told my wife, "Don't get any ideas about parking in the shop (garage)" I've since added an electrical panel, insulated the garage door, added A/C, dust collection/air/power at all the stations, and a ton of tools. There is a pic floating around here of how it looks and it is a mess.

I demand pics of the mess/workshop!!!!

I'm too embarrased by it. You'll have to find it but I think it was posted in the lounge or DIY area.

OK I have the specs on the machine. It is the HobbyCNC.com machine built from a kit someone did. Xylotex 3 axis controller with 24vdc power supply, 1.8 stepping bipolar motors, 9x24 cutting area. I should be able to squeeze 8 boards in one pass. I'm loading ubuntu now with EMC2.

How are you going to hold them down? Did it come with a vacuum table, t-slots or anything? This is something that I've always grappled with.

dave

Archived