SaltCritters.com

ReefBuddy DIY Aquarium Controller $89

hcsceo

hcsceo/Firewolf4

PCB's - I would imagine that we can order a bare PCB and just assembly it ourselves. Will you provide a pdf or jpg of the top and bottom (bottom wrong side up) so we can do the "toner transfer" PCB if some of us want to make our own boards?

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and I don't care for your holier-than-thou elitism and dismissive attitude.

...Pointing out a ridiculous situation that could create a hazard only points out the ridiculousness of the point you're making. If you have to try in order to make it dangerous - then it isn't really dangerous, now is it?

....You've been spouting bullshiat ...none of your inflated ego and nonsense. ...you came out with the most dismissive, insulting, and egotistical response you could have possibly come up with.

I think you're doing great work with this controller - but NR doesn't need the attitude - alright?

Exactly who has attitude now? Chill dude ...

hcsceo/Firewolf4

PCB's - I would imagine that we can order a bare PCB and just assembly it ourselves. Will you provide a pdf or jpg of the top and bottom (bottom wrong side up) so we can do the "toner transfer" PCB if some of us want to make our own boards?

Gotta love Press 'n Peel Blue. :D

But I would imagine it would be in their best interests to provide a PCB seeing as how you get major discounts at higher quantities.

Just a thought, though. I could be totally wrong!

Brandon

Brandon

I'm sure you're right about the 'bulk' buy and the PCB are cheaper, but just in case...

Oh I don't use that expensive Press N' Peal Blue. I use this iron on stuff that you get from the fabric shop. You can see both sides and match-up the pads better and after you run it thru the laminator, toss it in the water and it's gone. But best of all, it's waaaay cheaper (less expensive) than the blue.

hcsceo/Firewolf4

He already stated above that he will be providing the PDF files if you'd like to etch your own board.

dave

Exactly who has attitude now? Chill dude ...

Wow! I just went through a time warp...

Your reply was one month too late.

Let's try to stay on topic and keep the discussion open.

Brandon

I'm sure you're right about the 'bulk' buy and the PCB are cheaper, but just in case...

Oh I don't use that expensive Press N' Peal Blue. I use this iron on stuff that you get from the fabric shop. You can see both sides and match-up the pads better and after you run it thru the laminator, toss it in the water and it's gone. But best of all, it's waaaay cheaper (less expensive) than the blue.

Care to share the details on what you use?

I'd be interested, too. It'd work great for my do-it-yourself xmas light electronics!

Yea would like to know to. Press and Peel Blue with the laminator looks real good but it is expensive.

Yes you will be able to buy a completed board made from a manufacture or buy the complete kit.

Everyone is healthy again. Work continues.

Steve

Militant Jurist
Yea would like to know to. Press and Peel Blue with the laminator looks real good but it is expensive.

Yes you will be able to buy a completed board made from a manufacture or buy the complete kit.

Everyone is healthy again. Work continues.

Steve

clap.gif

Can't wait to see more progress!

I like to use the UV Light method using PhotoResist PCBs when etching my own boards. Very clean and you could do really skinny lines with no problems.

I like to use the UV Light method using PhotoResist PCBs when etching my own boards. Very clean and you could do really skinny lines with no problems.

To make sure that the traces meet spec for harsh environmental conditions we'll be designing with thicker traces with the exception of a few smaller points that will be designed as fusible traces. I would prefer to overdesign the board and know it's rock solid than to maybe use a thinner than specified trace to have it fail at a later time. We're also looking at making the inputs modular so builders can change up what's being monitored. This may require putting in a few jumper blocks that weren't initially planned. Currently the board design is for an all inclusive board. Once that's completed and proved out, we'll begin a later revision that will start making the input ports modular. The modular ports add a whole new level of complications in circuit design, firmware/software changes and physical size restraints.

Russ

This is what I have used for PCB Toner Transfer http://www.sewingplace.com/index.asp?PageA...amp;ProdID=4522. I make sure that there is a fresh HP toner cartridge in the printer, print the art work and then use the Laminator.

This stuff dissolves in water but not 100% - just take a tooth brush and lightly scrub and it's clean.

Here's a sample of something that I've made - just an extra artwork. (don't mind the bad trace, it happened when I split this apart for pix) Double-sided no via's (feedthru's)

circuit.jpg

Vancouver Reefer

You mean you then feed this through the laminator with the pcb in between and use the laminator heat to transfer the toner??/ Then wash off the excess toner and then etch the board???

Exactly - I dunk the board into water to take off the "carrier" after it's ran thru the laminator 3 times - I use a Muratic Acid and Peroxide mix as the echant it's a 2/1 ratio if i remember right 2 peroxide to 1 acid- forgot the chemical name something like copper sulfate or ???

There is also the Uzebox/Fuzebox device - a full 8 bit video game console with TV output, at a fraction of the actual cost of consoles from those days.

Wow that is awesome. I think the move to the bigger processor was a good choice.

Quick update. One of the main reasons I wanted to be done by Sept. is that I'm an avid hunter and love astronomy and this is the time of the year I'm outdoors as much as possible with my wife and kids. When I'm not hunting I'm camping and looking at stars all night. It probably isn't the most exciting life but it keeps me out of the bars I used to love so much. So things have moved a bit slower but Firewolf is working hard on finishing the PCB design. He finds little errors as he goes along and I correct them and send them back and he continues on. Like the most recent lapse of brain power showed through as I completely forgot to include a battery for the clock chip, duh. So thanks for everyone's patience as we are still working hard to finish.

Steve

Don't worry, half of the errors show up when you get around to actually building the thing B)

Looking forward to seeing a release of the design.

< Makes Note> add choice of expletives in manual for why this bleeping part wont fit where they say it's supposed to. :P

Ahh man!! This is such an awesome project.

When it does get to the web server/interface portion, I'd be more than happy to help out w/ the interface design, I've been doing web developement for ~15 years in perl, php, ruby, and a few obscure languages, and I deal with networking and linux stuff all the time. Definitely keeping up to date w/ this.

Ahh man!! This is such an awesome project.

When it does get to the web server/interface portion, I'd be more than happy to help out w/ the interface design, I've been doing web developement for ~15 years in perl, php, ruby, and a few obscure languages, and I deal with networking and linux stuff all the time. Definitely keeping up to date w/ this.

This is probalby well beyond my abilities, as I'm only starting to play with electronics, (Make Magazine bit me hard - I'd love to pick one up and try my hand at this project!

Archived